Advertisement

Dammit Bendis!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 12 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Re: Dammit Bendis!

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:51 pm

nietoperz wrote:
The big idea it sets up is fantastic. I mean, I can understand why Cyclops fans are pissed with what Marvel has done to the character, but I'm not at all.

You are a smart, smart, man.

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:03 pm

PDH wrote:Marvel have had a pretty strong creative direction lately. It feels like it's being run competently by people with some clever ideas who roughly know what they're doing. Contrast with DC, which feels like they're just throwing shit at a wall. Even if some of it sticks, it's still just shit on a wall: exactly as bad as shit that isn't on a wall only now you have to clean the wall, as well (what a stupid expression that is!)

yes. Hickman's Avengers stuff, Bendis's X-Men, Aaron's X-Men, Hopeless's Cable and X-Force, all seem to fit together nicely. Not in a forced tie-in kind of way, but in the old way the Marvel Universe used to feel, where little things let you know that all of this stuff is happening at the same time and in the same universe. I haven't read Fantastic Four or Captain America yet, but everything I've read of Marvel Now so far (with the exception of Uncanny Avengers, which blows) is very well put together in this way.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:14 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
yes. Hickman's Avengers stuff, Bendis's X-Men, Aaron's X-Men, Hopeless's Cable and X-Force, all seem to fit together nicely. Not in a forced tie-in kind of way, but in the old way the Marvel Universe used to feel, where little things let you know that all of this stuff is happening at the same time and in the same universe. I haven't read Fantastic Four or Captain America yet, but everything I've read of Marvel Now so far (with the exception of Uncanny Avengers, which blows) is very well put together in this way.

Fantastic Four and FF are both brilliant as well, as are Indestructible Hulk and (of course) Daredevil and Hawkeye. I really enjoyed Fearless Defenders as well, and am looking forward to Paul Cornell and Alan Davis on Wolverine.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:17 pm

And yes, DC seems to be at the lowest creative ebb I have seen in thirty-odd years. It's a crying shame - but DC books tend not to be much fun any more. Not so, Marvel.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 12 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:21 pm

Fearless Defenders actually good?

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:23 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Fearless Defenders actually good?

I enjoyed it. I mean, it's not reinventing the wheel or anything, but I thought it was fun and am going to give it a shot.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:38 pm

nietoperz wrote:...you just couldn't let me keep hating your writing, could you? :smt013

I picked up Uncanny X-Men #1 on Comixology, just out of curiosity more than anything else. And I have to say: for the first time ever, I enjoyed Bendis' writing. So much in fact, that I've added his two X-books to my pull. Bendis and the X-Men: two things I haven't historically enjoyed getting together to make something great. Who knew?

Why didn't you buy the physical edition and get the digital code with it? :?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:44 pm

PDH wrote:Contrast with DC, which feels like they're just throwing shit at a wall. Even if some of it sticks, it's still just shit on a wall: exactly as bad as shit that isn't on a wall only now you have to clean the wall, as well (what a stupid expression that is!)

Lord Simian will have words with you

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:52 pm

GLX wrote:
Why didn't you buy the physical edition and get the digital code with it? :?

Because I have a standing pull list at an LCS in a different city. I have to make changes a couple of months in advance for order purposes, and I was not planning on picking this up. Today, though, I was on my way home and had nothing to read, so I checked out what was being released on the Comixology app on my phone. On a whim I decided to buy this, and I'm glad I did. I have now added it to my pull (#3 will probably be my first issue).

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:00 pm

nietoperz wrote:
Because I have a standing pull list at an LCS in a different city. I have to make changes a couple of months in advance for order purposes, and I was not planning on picking this up. Today, though, I was on my way home and had nothing to read, so I checked out what was being released on the Comixology app on my phone. On a whim I decided to buy this, and I'm glad I did. I have now added it to my pull (#3 will probably be my first issue).

Do you have a local bookshop or newsstand that carries comics? They might have a copy or two.

Also, if you're using Comixology, why not try out Double Barrel (if you haven't already)?

http://www.comixology.com/Double-Barrel ... eries/8336

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:16 pm

GLX wrote:
Do you have a local bookshop or newsstand that carries comics? They might have a copy or two.

No - that's why I order from a store in a different city.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:09 pm

nietoperz wrote:And yes, DC seems to be at the lowest creative ebb I have seen in thirty-odd years. It's a crying shame - but DC books tend not to be much fun any more. Not so, Marvel.

It's because Marvel is letting it's creators play the "long game" on their titles, as opposed to DC where it forces creators into these "Glengary Glen Ross" perform now or be fired situations.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:01 pm

Bendis is on quite the streak lately. Uncanny, All New, Scarlet and Powers are all great stuff. His Avengers was never my thing but I'm even considering Guardians of the Galaxy at this rate.

DMM
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Former Twenty Something
Formerly: DeathMetalMetrosexual

Postby DMM » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Do I need to have read AvX to understand X-Men? I mean, I have a general idea of what happened. I just couldn't bring myself to read it/pay money for it.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:10 pm

DMM wrote:Do I need to have read AvX to understand X-Men? I mean, I have a general idea of what happened. I just couldn't bring myself to read it/pay money for it.

No. I stopped reading it midway through and let the internet fuel my rage. Start with AvX consequences if you can. If not, All New X-Men 1.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand