Sunday, December 11, 2016 • Morning Edition • "The comic book industry's inflamed butthole."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Dan Didio Calls Vertigo Sales Model "Myopic"

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

David Bird

rubber spoon

Postby David Bird » Wed May 29, 2013 10:08 pm

Actually, yes. While it is true that individual sales of titles by the Big Two don't see many reaching into the six figures, sales over all are up. And while Walking Dead has certainly been a part of that, there is no consensus as to what's driving it.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
And Beast Wars, I believe.

I like Dan, he's always been polite and nice in our interactions. I don't really think he had much to do with Vertigo's decline either, he was only hitting nails in the coffins by the time he .

It is a pretty poor quote, though, one that rings false in the light that DC is still profiting from many Vertigo books. Outside of a handful of Batman TPBs and a Justice League trade, most of DC's top graphic novels last year were Vertigo books. And let's not forget books like Fatale and Saga, which were written by creators who had long publishing histories with Vertigo.

Honestly, I think Vertigo really began to suffer when other publishers began to compete for books. When they stopped being the only bar in town, they quickly lost their relevance by not being able to compete.


Yup, Why go to vertigo/dc when books that are already big sellers are cancelled over personal bullshit: The Boys. Imagine The Boys staying with Wildstorm-Vertigo-DC and then DC can hold onto ownership rights for movie options and merchandising....nope instead there are other places that are willing to print your high profile creator owned book where you get to keep your rights to all it's financial spoils.
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Thu May 30, 2013 1:18 am

guitarsmashley wrote:

Yup, Why go to vertigo/dc when books that are already big sellers are cancelled over personal bullshit: The Boys. Imagine The Boys staying with Wildstorm-Vertigo-DC and then DC can hold onto ownership rights for movie options and merchandising....nope instead there are other places that are willing to print your high profile creator owned book where you get to keep your rights to all it's financial spoils.



I hope they make a movie of The Boys at some point with Clive Owen cast as Billie Butcher for starters.
User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Thu May 30, 2013 4:12 am

David Bird wrote:Morrison's quote about comic sales falling off substantially should read Vertigo's sales have fallen off substantially. Vertigo's decline, certainly sales-wise, predates Didio and DC Entertainment and I suspect is what has allowed Didio to exert control over the imprint. (Comic sales generally, by the way, are actually stronger than they've been in years.)

For a long while people excused its poor sales by arguing that the trades made up for it, but the only horse Vertigo really has in the race is Fables and its back list titles, many of which started at DC originally and then were brought under the Vertigo imprint. Vertigo hasn't been the leading edge in a long, long time.

I'm don't currently have any DC or Vertigo on my pull list and don't feel I'm missing anything.


If you're not reading The Unwritten then your missing out on the best comic on the market.

Hab

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu May 30, 2013 6:52 am

David Bird wrote:Actually, yes. While it is true that individual sales of titles by the Big Two don't see many reaching into the six figures, sales over all are up. And while Walking Dead has certainly been a part of that, there is no consensus as to what's driving it.


Isn't it mostly to do with the higher volume of comics being produced?
User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Thu May 30, 2013 6:55 am

Jubilee wrote:
Isn't it mostly to do with the higher volume of comics being produced?


I think it's probably more of Image, Dark Horse and Oni taking a bigger piece of the pie in GN sales.

Hab
User avatar

Ryan Dilan

FACEBOOKTron

Postby Ryan Dilan » Thu May 30, 2013 7:01 am

In case there is a single person that does not know that yet IN APRIL DC SALES WERE WAY LOWER THAN MOST PRE-REBOOT MONTHS! So, yes Didiot managed to destroy DCU and now it's VERTIGO's turn!
User avatar

David Bird

rubber spoon

Postby David Bird » Thu May 30, 2013 8:03 am

Jubilee wrote:
Isn't it mostly to do with the higher volume of comics being produced?


Simply printing more comics isn't going to produce more sales.

habitual wrote:
I think it's probably more of Image, Dark Horse and Oni taking a bigger piece of the pie in GN sales.

Hab


Or growing interest in their books creating a bigger pie.

FBtron wrote:In case there is a single person that does not know that yet IN APRIL DC SALES WERE WAY LOWER THAN MOST PRE-REBOOT MONTHS! So, yes Didiot managed to destroy DCU and now it's VERTIGO's turn!


I'm not talking about DC specifically. I think their sales will continue to find their... natural level. Again, though, Vertigo's decline pre-dates Didio's rise.
User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Thu May 30, 2013 9:19 am

David Bird wrote:
Simply printing more comics isn't going to produce more sales.



Or growing interest in their books creating a bigger pie.



I'm not talking about DC specifically. I think their sales will continue to find their... natural level. Again, though, Vertigo's decline pre-dates Didio's rise.


I don't think the way that Image has dominated GN sales is in proportion to the increase in the size of the pie.

Hab
User avatar

Stalzer2002

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Stalzer2002 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:46 am

David Bird wrote:Actually, yes. While it is true that individual sales of titles by the Big Two don't see many reaching into the six figures, sales over all are up. And while Walking Dead has certainly been a part of that, there is no consensus as to what's driving it.


Average sales for DCU comics for every month in the last year and for every March going back ten years:

DC UNIVERSE
03/2003: 28,965
03/2004: 39,727
03/2005: 34,864
03/2006: 44,854
03/2007: 42,634
03/2008: 33,151
03/2009: 31,336
03/2010: 32,375
03/2011: 26,720**
---------------
03/2012: 33,229 (- 3.6%)
04/2012: 35,264 (+ 6.1%)
05/2012: 44,139 (+ 25.2%)
06/2012: 43,082 (- 2.4%)
07/2012: 38,502 (- 10.6%)
08/2012: 38,047 (- 1.2%)**
09/2012: 39,408 (+ 3.6%)
10/2012: 36,571 (- 7.2%)
11/2012: 36,585 (+ 0.0%)
12/2012: 36,880 (+ 0.8%)
01/2013: 33,485 (- 9.2%)
02/2013: 36,838 (+ 10.0%)
03/2013: 32,294 (- 12.3%)**
-----------------
6 months: - 18.1%
1 year : - 2.8%
2 years : + 20.9%
3 years : - 0.3%
4 years : + 3.1%
5 years : - 2.6%
6 years : - 24.3%
7 years : - 28.0%
8 years : - 7.4%
9 years : - 18.7%
10 years: + 11.5%

Where's the increase?
User avatar

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Thu May 30, 2013 9:49 am

http://comicspaladin.blogspot.com/2013/ ... tions.html

Val Gallaher largely agrees with David Bird here, in that Vertigo was in decline before Didio took over and that it was largely due to conservative book selection.
User avatar

MrBlack

WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Thu May 30, 2013 10:07 am

Stalzer2002 wrote:
Average sales for DCU comics for every month in the last year and for every March going back ten years:

David has said at least twice in this thread that he is not talking about DC in particular. In fact, in his last post he essentially stated that their sales would continue to taper off.
User avatar

nattygreene

Whale Castrato

Postby nattygreene » Thu May 30, 2013 10:55 am

What, no mentioning of digital sales? :groucho:
User avatar

David Bird

rubber spoon

Postby David Bird » Thu May 30, 2013 11:28 am

MrBlack wrote:David has said at least twice in this thread that he is not talking about DC in particular. In fact, in his last post he essentially stated that their sales would continue to taper off.


BlueStreak wrote:http://comicspaladin.blogspot.com/2013/05/vertigo-comics-cancellations.html

Val Gallaher largely agrees with David Bird here, in that Vertigo was in decline before Didio took over and that it was largely due to conservative book selection.


Thank you and thank you.

nattygreene wrote:What, no mentioning of digital sales? :groucho:


Digital sales are interesting. I read something by Terry Moore where he pointed out that LCS in the US are concentrated in a very small number of states (four, I think) and that the rest of the country is seriously under served. Consequently the growth in digital sales hasn't hurt the comic shops (unlike bookstores and ebooks). In fact, it is possible that digital comics, with its emphasis on selling single issues has helped to steer interest back to the monthly format and is actually a factor in the increase in comics sales generally.

(And, yes, I do know that digital comics are also sold as graphic novels and as bundles.)
User avatar

Stalzer2002

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Stalzer2002 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:45 am

BlueStreak wrote:http://comicspaladin.blogspot.com/2013/05/vertigo-comics-cancellations.html

Val Gallaher largely agrees with David Bird here, in that Vertigo was in decline before Didio took over and that it was largely due to conservative book selection.


Her argument is fairly absurd. Even if you buy that there was some kind of creative rut at Vertigo around 2001, that doesn't explain Vertigo's state in 2013, especially considering that in between it published brilliant, creative books like Fables, Scalped, DMZ, Northlanders, Unknown Soldier, Unwritten, Madame Xanadu and many more.

No, Vertigo's sad state was caused by three things:
1) The DCU taking away all company owned characters.
2) The drastic reduction in output.
3) A change in the contract structure for creator owned books, that drove creators like BKV away.

All three of these things happened within one year of Dan Didio becoming publisher. You want to know who killed Vertigo? Look for the guy with the bloody knife.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 38 guests