Advertisement

Dan Didio Calls Vertigo Sales Model "Myopic"

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts

Dan Didio Calls Vertigo Sales Model "Myopic"

Postby LOLtron » Wed May 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Dan Didio Calls Vertigo Sales Model

Claims that DC's new sales strategy is to shoot for the stars.

Source: NYT

What do you call a business model that puts stock in mature, award-winning storytelling, looks to build a catalog that's comprised of consistent selling books that appeals to a broad swath of customers outside of the comic book store, and even have some marketability as a movie franchise?  Well if you're DC's co-publisher Dan Didio, you call it myopic.  

In a profile of outgoing Vertigo head Karen Berger in the New York Times, Didio addresses the shifting landscape of comics and addresses fears by G. Willow Wilson that the Vertigo imprint is no longer a home for edgy and groundbreaking storytelling.

There’s not a challenge to be more profitable out of the gate. But there is a challenge to be more accepted out of the gate.

Fantastic to see DC at the forefront of groundbreaking storytelling and industry-changing comics. 

But hey, it's all about the sales, right? Didio again.

[It's] myopic [to believe] that servicing a very small slice of our audience is the way to go ahead.

After all, books like Watchmen, Sandman, Y: The Last Man and V for Vendetta definitely service on a small slice of the audience.  Wait, aren't all those Vertigo titles listed on DC's "25 Most Essential Graphic Novels List" released just last month?  Yes, yes they are. 

Luckily DC has a solid alternative strategy in place.

That’s not what we’re in the business for.  We have to shoot for the stars with whatever we’re doing. Because what we’re trying to do is reach the biggest audience and be as successful as possible.

Ironically, the NYT article follows that quote up with the following quote from Grant Morrison.

Comic sales have fallen off substantially.

I think that says it all.  Anyways, I figured I'd finish with what must be DC's new theme song.

DC: Shooting for the Stars (and missing) since 2011.  

Give the NYT profile of Berger a read.  It's...an interesting piece, but maybe we'll talk about that in another article.  

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 555 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Dan Didio Calls Vertigo Sales Model "Myopic"

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed May 29, 2013 6:56 pm

Myopic? Myopic?! How dare Dan Didio call Vertigo myopic!

I mean, myopic?! To say that Vertigo is…

is…

(looks up myopic in the dictionary)…

Pertaining to or having myopia; nearsighted?!

Wait, that can't be it…

Unable or unwilling to act prudently; shortsighted?!

Ridiculous!
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 555 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed May 29, 2013 6:56 pm

This doesn't bode well for Vertigo.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 209 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed May 29, 2013 7:02 pm

And the "Shooting Ourselves In The Foot Award" once again goes to DC, courtesy of Didio.

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 208 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Re: Dan Didio Calls Vertigo Sales Model

Postby Herald » Wed May 29, 2013 7:05 pm

So... anybody STILL like Dan DiDio?? ANYone??

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 209 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed May 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Herald wrote:So... anybody STILL like Dan DiDio?? ANYone??

Nope. However we will leave the Didio-bashing up to you on OH as you're better at it than anyone else here.

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby Wisdom000 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:41 pm

Well, glad to know my complete abandonment of DC is still a good idea...
Anti-Organized Religion, Pro-Choice, Pro-Gun Rights with limits, Pro-Legalization of Drugs-Prostitution-Assisted Suicide, Pro-Gay Marriage,

Food Eater lad
cheese

Liked in: 14 posts

Postby Food Eater lad » Wed May 29, 2013 8:02 pm

Wisdom000 wrote:Well, glad to know my complete abandonment of DC is still a good idea...

How that they cancelled Hellblazer, my only DC per month is All Star Western.
"Diversity equals division"

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby David Bird » Wed May 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Morrison's quote about comic sales falling off substantially should read Vertigo's sales have fallen off substantially. Vertigo's decline, certainly sales-wise, predates Didio and DC Entertainment and I suspect is what has allowed Didio to exert control over the imprint. (Comic sales generally, by the way, are actually stronger than they've been in years.)

For a long while people excused its poor sales by arguing that the trades made up for it, but the only horse Vertigo really has in the race is Fables and its back list titles, many of which started at DC originally and then were brought under the Vertigo imprint. Vertigo hasn't been the leading edge in a long, long time.

I'm don't currently have any DC or Vertigo on my pull list and don't feel I'm missing anything.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 331 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed May 29, 2013 8:23 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:This doesn't bode well for Vertigo.

we shouldn't know this

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 239 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:41 pm

David Bird wrote:Morrison's quote about comic sales falling off substantially should read Vertigo's sales have fallen off substantially. Vertigo's decline, certainly sales-wise, predates Didio and DC Entertainment and I suspect is what has allowed Didio to exert control over the imprint. (Comic sales generally, by the way, are actually stronger than they've been in years.)

For a long while people excused its poor sales by arguing that the trades made up for it, but the only horse Vertigo really has in the race is Fables and its back list titles, many of which started at DC originally and then were brought under the Vertigo imprint. Vertigo hasn't been the leading edge in a long, long time.

I'm don't currently have any DC or Vertigo on my pull list and don't feel I'm missing anything.

Relevant, factual, and to-the-point. Why isn't anyone recruiting this guy to write Front Page articles ? :-D

-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 271 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Wed May 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Dan Didio is alright by me. He was involved in Reboot right?

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby Stalzer2002 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:04 pm

You know, I'm going to say something that I've never said before. Dan Didio is right.

It IS myopic to believe that serving a very small slice of your audience is the way to get ahead. It's absolutely true.

But if he thinks that his DC is capable of appealing to a wider audience than Vertigo, he's the one who needs an eye exam. Maybe once he has one, he'll notice that Karen Berger's career is defined by knocking stars out the sky and that people are still going to be reading her Vertigo books long after Green Lantern: Rebirth and the New 52 have been relegated to the dustbin of history.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed May 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Rockman wrote:Dan Didio is alright by me. He was involved in Reboot right?

And Beast Wars, I believe.

I like Dan, he's always been polite and nice in our interactions. I don't really think he had much to do with Vertigo's decline either, he was only hitting nails in the coffins by the time he .

It is a pretty poor quote, though, one that rings false in the light that DC is still profiting from many Vertigo books. Outside of a handful of Batman TPBs and a Justice League trade, most of DC's top graphic novels last year were Vertigo books. And let's not forget books like Fatale and Saga, which were written by creators who had long publishing histories with Vertigo.

Honestly, I think Vertigo really began to suffer when other publishers began to compete for books. When they stopped being the only bar in town, they quickly lost their relevance by not being able to compete.

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby Stalzer2002 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:14 pm

David Bird wrote:(Comic sales generally, by the way, are actually stronger than they've been in years.)

Actually, no. Comic sales aren't generally higher. If they were generally higher, there wouldn't be so few books selling over 100,000 and so many under 20,000 copies. Average sales of DC's books aren't any higher than they were seven, eight or nine years ago. The higher overall sales for the last couple years are driven by a few books, particularly the Walking Dead, which has a lot more in common with Karen Berger's Vertigo than it does Dan Didio's DC.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand