Advertisement

Dan Didio Responds to Williams/Blackman Controversy

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Re: Dan Didio Responds to Williams/Blackman Controversy

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:39 am

Doc Midnight wrote:
Re: the Gay Marriage. THERE IS NO MARRIAGE. Gay or Otherwise. DC wants diverse and interesting characters but just because they are gay doesn't mean all your gay characters need to get married. Are all of your gay friends trying to get married? How about all your straight friends?

DC sees that as making a character less interesting. Editorial is clearly being more hands on.

Editorial is being hands on with hands not connected to the same brain. The Batwoman team has been clear about plans for over a year- plans that were approved, then changed last minute, and they don't want to work like that anymore- like pretty much everyone who's left.

On marriage (which remember, isn't really the issue)- coming out like they have and issuing a blanket statement seems incredibly stupid. I think there are cases to be made that Superman or Spider-man are better off unmarried (I don't agree with all of those cases, but you can make them fairly convincingly), but not every character is Spider-man or Superman. If every newer character had to follow the same formula, we wouldn't have gotten most of the good comics we have (including Spider-man and the rest of the early Marvel U, who were popular because they were different)

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:42 am

Marriage isnt even the issue. They just dont want any Bat-character to have personal lives. That should make for some really interesting reading...

I hate DC.

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:36 am

The whole every Bat-Family member must be miserable mentality is really stupid.

Dick Grayson has always ALWAYS been portrayed as more upbeat happier person than Bruce. He's the other side of the same coin. Dick's never been as moody or gloomly as Bruce.

As for the no-marriage thing in all of DC it doesn't work for every character. Hell I'd argue that someone like Barry Allen should be married.

He's not a man whore like Hal Jordan or Oliver Queen. Barry being married to Iris always fit his character.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 721 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:15 pm

Jack Burton wrote:As for the no-marriage thing in all of DC it doesn't work for every character. Hell I'd argue that someone like Barry Allen should be married.

He's not a man whore like Hal Jordan or Oliver Queen. Barry being married to Iris always fit his character.

I agree.

Barry should be married to Iris.
(And Wally and Linda)
Aquaman and Mera are married. He's the king and she's the queen. it only makes sense.
Ralph & Sue (if they exist in the NuDCU) should be married.
Hal shouldn't.
Ollie shouldn't.
Carter and Shiera should have been married in the past.
Bruce shouldn't.
Nightwing... down the road, sure.
Batwoman, why not?
Superman was, but that was undone, so who knows if they'll do it again?

Who else?

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 389 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:28 pm

HNutz wrote:
I agree.

(And Wally and Linda)
Aquaman and Mera are married. He's the king and she's the queen. it only makes sense.
Hal shouldn't.
Ollie shouldn't.
Bruce shouldn't.
Batwoman, why not?

Who else?

There's also Brion( Geo-Force) and Denise( However the Didiot ruined that dynamic in shitty Outsiders run)
Lana Lang and Pete Ross( Which has been on and off)
Tempest and Dolphin( Not sure what happened there as I don't remember)

Don't remember anyone else at the moment but I will add some more when I do.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 72 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Bleeding Cool is running a defence of Dan Didio right now ... bragging about sales and whoring out Watchmen, etc... one poster called the sales bump the 'dead cat bounce'
I still say they could have did all new No. 1s without throwing out all the previous history - I guess like what Marvel did.
For sure Booster Gold is worse off in this new universe... so many other properties for that matter.

adamiani
Snake On A Plane

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby adamiani » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:16 pm

holtom2000 wrote:For sure Booster Gold is worse off in this new universe... so many other properties for that matter.

Like the JSA, for example?

Or, really, anything that involved a sense of legacy and history-- of DC having an actual cool universe worth caring about, instead of being a world randomly transformed by people who started flouncing about in capes some point in 2006-2008?

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:32 pm

HNutz wrote:
I agree.

(And Wally and Linda)
Hal shouldn't.
Ollie shouldn't.
Bruce shouldn't.
Batwoman, why not?

Who else?

Superman should still be married to Lois.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 368 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:23 pm

HNutz wrote:
I agree.

(And Wally and Linda)
Hal shouldn't.
Ollie shouldn't.
Bruce shouldn't.
Batwoman, why not?

Who else?

Mr. Miracle and Big Barda

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:33 pm

(And Wally and Linda)

I hardly think Barry should be a Polygamist. He barely made a decent husband for one person. :?

EbonyRaven
Faster Pussycat

Postby EbonyRaven » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:31 am

Doc Midnight wrote:Re: the Gay Marriage. THERE IS NO MARRIAGE. Gay or Otherwise. DC wants diverse and interesting characters but just because they are gay doesn't mean all your gay characters need to get married. Are all of your gay friends trying to get married? How about all your straight friends?

DC sees that as making a character less interesting. Editorial is clearly being more hands on. Creators who can make it out there on their own are taking shots. Creators who really need a pay check might be writing New Guardians or Suicide Squad.

I'm not sure saying, "prove you have the cred to be in charge" is the right thing to do. If you do that then you never would have gotten Quesada at Marvel.

Soooooooo............. The way to have diverse and interesting characters is to make them all unable to commit to marriage? WTH? How does that remotely make sense.

No, not all of my gay friends want to get married. But the ones who go to the trouble to get engaged do tend to try to get married (and since that's what happened here............)

But I have married friends and unmarried friends. Perhaps there is some person out there who only knows unmarried people. But that's hardly diverse.

CyclopsWasRight
underclassman

Postby CyclopsWasRight » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:53 am

I can see how relationships in general can lead to problems in comics, like you either have Peter Parker never actually being around Mary Jane (a failed relationship), you have them together a lot but no action happening (undermining what the comic is meant to be about) or you have them together a lot and action happening, but this bizarre situation where Spider-Man is fighting for his life but a normal human is fine (a bizarre lack of peril to situations, a la Iron Man 2). In other words, anything that'd push Spider-Man should kill Mary Jane. It also gets pretty tedious seeing the endless cycle of "Gee, I'd love to be with MJ but this bank robbery isn't going to stop itself!" then Peter gets home and there's a letter saying "Dear Peter, fuck you, love MJ".

Thing is, that's relationships in general, not specifically marriage, and they're fine with relationships. Secondly, even if it is problematic and even if marriage of characters can lead to these difficult situations, why have some hard rule about it? There a loads of things in comics that can be equally or more problematic, and they don't have hard rules about those (e.g. no young sidekicks or no un-powered heroes, aka what was in those drugs if Cap can fight alongside a god of thunder and still be in one piece?).

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 257 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:15 am

Wasn't being anti-marriage Spektre's reason for opposing the legalisation of gay marriage?

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 967 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:38 am

fieldy snuts wrote:Wasn't being anti-marriage Spektre's reason for opposing the legalisation of gay marriage?

He wasn't anti-marriage, he just felt single people should have the same rights married people do. :lol: :lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 72 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:41 am

adamiani wrote:
Like the JSA, for example?

Or, really, anything that involved a sense of legacy and history-- of DC having an actual cool universe worth caring about, instead of being a world randomly transformed by people who started flouncing about in capes some point in 2006-2008?

yup. no jade, obsidian, nuklon ... on and on

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand