Advertisement

Dan Didio Responds to Williams/Blackman Controversy

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 166 posts

Re: RE: Dan Didio Responds to Williams/Blackman Controversy

Postby Lord Simian » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:08 am

FBtron wrote:I'm from Spain and in my country, DC is considered pure crap because of all the stuff they are doing, screwing the work of their creators and firing them. I knew that the letter of Paul Jenkins was only the tip of the iceberg, but it's amazing how fuckingly HUGE is that iceberg.

The Outhouse: Fuckingly Huge In Spain.

Advertisement

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 250 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Re: Dan Didio Responds to Williams/Blackman Controversy

Postby Chessack » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:48 am

achilles wrote:Sales, while they may be better than just prior to Flashpoint, aren't all the great by the standards of the past twenty years. And anyone can inflate sales number simply by offering more product, so how much of the increase if any overall over immediate pre-Flashpoint is due to simply offering more titles? Or more Bat titles?

This is a good point. Preliminary numbers for August have DC with 33% unit share from 83 titles (or an average of 0.39% share per title) and Marvel with a 36% unit share on 67 titles (or an average of 0.54% share per title). Thus, although DC sold almost as much total volume as Marvel, they sold way less per book. Put another way, if DC had sold the same number of titles as Marvel in August (67), their market share would have been 27%.. almost 10 points lower than Marvel's.

Another point is that Diamond does not track sales to customers. No one has any way to track that. What Diamond tracks is sales to comic shops, who then "resell" the issues to us. That's why the stats are titled "Estimated Comics Sold to North American Comics Shops" not "to North American consumers." Once the c-shop buys 20 copies of Superman Unchained #2, whether customers take them home or whether they end up boxed in the back-issue bin is unknown. So what we really know is orders, not sales to customers. As a great example, my c-shop still has huge piles of Superman Unchained sitting around... at least 15 or 20 copies of each issue. These are over-orders. The c-shop cannot return them, so they have to eat them if no one buys them. But Diamond records these as "sales" because they were bought by the c-shop (for a lot less than cover price of course). Diamond and DC have made their money, so from a dollar perspective for that month, they don't care. But if it keeps up, the c-shop will start ordering less and less issues.

This means that for huge "event" or "special" titles, we really don't know how many are selling to customers. We know that huge masses of JLA 1 with all the stupid variant covers were bought by the shops. I saw piles of them, again, in my comic shop. But they were there week after week, with the pile only going down a little bit at a time. So how many actually sold, and how many are now in the bargain bin, we just don't know. Events are short-lived, so it's impossible to know if the sales actually went to readers, or if they just were the shops speculating and trying to get 'ahead of the curve.' Its only long-standing series that can provide trends, although even here, the trends will necessarily lag behind by several months.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:04 am

Lord Simian wrote:
The Outhouse: Fuckingly Huge In Spain.

When are we going to start making merch? I'd by a T-shirt that says
Outhouse - huge in Spain

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:09 am

holtom2000 wrote:When are we going to start making merch? I'd by a T-shirt that says
Outhouse - huge in Spain

We did, once before. The only one who bought any was me! :-D

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:02 pm

I knew that wearing it would just make me a target for assassination.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I knew that wearing it would just make me a target for assassination.

Yes, so that's a LOT for not decoying for me! You're a fuckingly huge help! :evil:

She'ry DeNae McKee
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 97 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Dan Didio Responds to Williams/Blackman Controversy

Postby She'ry DeNae McKee » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Dan Didio should really stop fucking talking! With the latest word on the walk out by the Batwoman creators, Blackman and Williams, anything he's says only shows his (and DC's) incompetency and lack moral scope.

Tagging others as being lame creatively or not entertaining and engaging, on a Eisner winning book, just shows DC is pulling down their own curtains, as their falling and exposing their duplicitous nature to the wide world. They are signing the death certificate on a giant and slowly digging its grave!

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:48 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
We did, once before. The only one who bought any was me! :-D

Well dammit sign me up next time

Buck Lightning
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Buck Lightning » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:33 pm

Loki Freign I'll be less snarky and sarcastic than you, because I actually know what I'm talking about. It costs A LOT more money than most people think for retailers to fill orders on DC and Marvel. My point wasn't that you should only buy from DC or Marvel, but that if by some miracle you organized a boycott of Villains Month, retailers who aren't doing well right now would close down. And what most people forget is that Marvel and DC are the highest selling comics companies. Aside from your occasional Walking Dead or Saga, they are what keep retailers afloat. When Marvel and DC go down, the concept of a comic shop is done. Retailers cannot get by just selling smaller publishers. Instead of having a knee jerk reaction, maybe examine what the person you're being a dick to is saying.

Buck Lightning
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Buck Lightning » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:36 pm

R Romeo Cote Animal Man and Demon Knights are both books that they try to ignore for the most part. Animal Man obviously sells well enough to stay on board, plus they love Jeff Lemiere, but it isn't doing as well as when the book started. Critically acclaimed, yes, but it has been tough to get people to pick it up or stay with it.

Buck Lightning
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Buck Lightning » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Aimee Olexan I applaud your idea, but it isn't me you have to convince. I sell comics and I am friends with a bunch of local self-pub creators. You have to convince the entire comic book audience to switch to small publishers in order to keep comic shops going. It isn't nearly as easy as you think it is, regardless of what you and your friends read. If someone comes in looking for a new superhero comic, I want them to buy Invincible or possibly something from Boom!. Unfortunately, for every 1 customer I manage to get to buy an Invincible trade, 9 ignore me and buy crap like AvX or Forever Evil. YOu can shout at the heavens, but getting people to move away from the big two is a fairly massive feat.

David Branson
FACEBOOKTron

Postby David Branson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:30 pm

I really think that DC's "screw everyone, we're putting the new writer on in the middle of the last storyline that WAS going to have a satisfying ending, and made the creative team leaving less painful, so now you won't even have THAT to enjoy" --now confirmed at CBR --deserves its own counter reset.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 522 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:31 pm

FBtron wrote:I really think that DC's "screw everyone, we're putting the new writer on in the middle of the last storyline that WAS going to have a satisfying ending, and made the creative team leaving less painful, so now you won't even have THAT to enjoy" --now confirmed at CBR --deserves its own counter reset.

It was reset for that on Saturday though.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Michael Martin
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Michael Martin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:22 am

Well you could always word the boycott call is "buy something random that's not DC month. What's the matter? Scared you'll like it?"

Michael Martin
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Michael Martin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:22 am

I don't know about anybody else, but I've never laughed this hard at a Dilbert strip!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand