Advertisement

Daredevil #5 (Don't touch the stereo Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Daredevil #5 (Don't touch the stereo Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:34 pm

Another stellar issue of Daredevil. Mark Waid continues to have a lot of fun with the character and comes up with some great setpieces and new ways of showing DD’s powers, such as his being able to tune in to certain sounds, like the noise of a gun being cocked for example. Most writers just treat the radar-sense like a replacement for eyes, but Waid doesn’t. The mystery about Austin Cao’s sacking also develops nicely, it’s cool to see Waid reflect real-life business practices into the Marvel Universe, and show how the likes of AIM set up shell-corporations, this melding of the real and the Marvel is something I loved in Heroes For Hire, and it’s something I’m glad is going on in other books. The new villain is pretty cool, but I’m annoyed at Waid for disrespecting The Ox, the Enforcers are my favorite Marvel Villains, and I will brook no insult against them! Oh yeah, and Marcos Martin’s art was fucking brilliant, but do I even need to say that anymore? The man’s a genius. I also dug the return of the underlying darkness that beneath Matt’s new positivity, good to see it not be forgotten, he may be smiling, but it’s not a healthy smile.

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: Daredevil #5 (Don't touch the stereo Spoilers)

Postby chap22 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:46 pm

Waid + Martin + Daredevil = an absolute dream for me. my favorite book, not just at Marvel, but all of comics right now. this was another terrific issue, which continues to meld all of the stuff that make DD unique, and all the stuff i love about the character...his supporting cast, the wide variety of uses for his "powers", the superheroic stuff, the use of the law both as a profession and practical knowledge of same in his encounter outside the courthouse (all the stuff this issue with maritime law and megacrime shell companies, etc.)...Waid is doing a better job of probably any writer since at least Smith, and more likely since Kesel, of not neglecting any of those facets that make Matt as fully-rounded as he is. pretty much everybody since then has marginalized or flat-out ignored at least one of those things, but Waid is hitting all points, making the book fun, and yet keeping the threats and the relationships serious as well. just a near-perfect superhero book.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Jackofhearts
cheese

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Jackofhearts » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Waid and Martin's Daredevil is my favorite comic book from Marvel. I like how Waid has gotten Matt out of the repetitive dark and brooding phase, I like how Waid is getting Matt out of the cycle of facing the same villains (the Kingpin, the Hand and Bullseye) over and over and over again and I like how Matt is teaching people to represent themselves in the court of law. Martin's art is absolutely amazing, I like how it has such an analytical depiction towards how Daredevil's powers work. At the rate Waid and Martin are going, this is shaping up to be one of my favorite runs on Daredevil.

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:50 am

Yeah, what they said. ^

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:52 pm

I really liking this run. Out of all the comics I'm reading this one probably makes me feel like I did when I first started reading comics as a kid (in the fun sort of way).

Drcharles
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Drcharles » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:15 pm

They are doing something very similar to how Daredevil used to be way way way back in the early run of vol 1 (60's)..............

its something that s gone 360 and returned the character to basics, the problem is, how long will they be able to keep it up ?
although, the DD comic has been blessed by being kept out of all the Marvel shit that effected other comics with deadpool, wolverine and mutants featured, it would be great for the series to follow in the tradition of the back panther guest starring, and swopping roles just to disprove matt and DD aren't the same persons to the public, again just like they used to, perhaps they will now that the Black Panther is operating in Hells Kitchen.........

lets hope

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

oh and a pic of ben affleck playing a blind matt is enough to make me not take you seriously.....

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand