Advertisement

Daredevil 36 (Spoilers eventually)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Daredevil 36 (Spoilers eventually)

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:55 am

The one gripe I had is that the new status quo falls together way too quickly in the final 2 pages.

However, HOLY LIVING FUCK THAT WAS GOOD! Waid GETS Matt Murdock and his supporting cast. I'm also glad Foggy's not dead as we start the next volume. I'm just hoping they don't kill him off in the Infinite Comic, as I'm not sure I'll be picking that up. Does anyone else know if they'll be getting that weekly series?

Also, what did you think of the issue?

Advertisement

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Re: Daredevil 36 (Spoilers eventually)

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:41 pm

BUMP now that everyone should be getting out of work.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 171 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:31 am

now that "vol. 1" is complete, I feel safe in saying this:

Waid's run has now passed Nocenti's for my second-favorite all time DD run. he just gets Matt. he gets Foggy. he's created the first new love interest I've actually liked since Glorianna O'Breen. the stories are fun. they include EVERYTHING that makes DD cool (the law, the super-senses, the supporting cast, the sense of humor, and at times the grittiness), not just focusing on one aspect. and Samnee is just phenomenal. loved this issue, love this run, very excited for the new status quo to begin.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:33 am

chap22 wrote:now that "vol. 1" is complete, I feel safe in saying this:

Waid's run has now passed Nocenti's for my second-favorite all time DD run. he just gets Matt. he gets Foggy. he's created the first new love interest I've actually liked since Glorianna O'Breen. the stories are fun. they include EVERYTHING that makes DD cool (the law, the super-senses, the supporting cast, the sense of humor, and at times the grittiness), not just focusing on one aspect. and Samnee is just phenomenal. loved this issue, love this run, very excited for the new status quo to begin.

CHAP.

IT'S FINALLY HAPPENED.

WE AGREE ON DAREDEVIL.

GOD BLESS US EVERYONE, BUT ESPECIALLY MARK WAID.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 171 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:46 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
CHAP.

IT'S FINALLY HAPPENED.

WE AGREE ON DAREDEVIL.

GOD BLESS US EVERYONE, BUT ESPECIALLY MARK WAID.

:-D :lol: :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:06 pm

Volume #1 was awesome! Can't wait for Volume #2.

I'm glad that we have a likeable DD again. Thank you, Mr. Waid!

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:08 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:Volume #1 was awesome! Can't wait for Volume #2.

I'm glad that we have a likeable DD again. Thank you, Mr. Waid!

Agreed. Issue 36 was the best ad possible for the Infinite Comic.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 352 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:37 am

Someone remind me of the infinite comic. I enjoyed this volume and look forward to volume 2.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:55 pm

The final issue of this volume of Daredevil is much the same as the previous 35… pure comic-book awesomeness. Mark Waid and Chris Samnee adeptly wrap up the Sons Of The Serpent storyline, whilst at the same time setting us up for an exciting new status quo for when Daredevil moves to San Francisco.

Waid doesn’t pick up immediately after the cliff-hanger, and instead, we start 4 hours ago, with Matt telling Foggy his plan back in the hospital. Matt is worried about how ‘coming out’ as Daredevil will not just ruin his life, but Foggy’s as well, and, since it would cause him to lose his health insurance, it could even end Foggy’s life. However, Foggy is fully on board, he doesn’t want Matt to compromise his integrity by working for The Sons, because Matt has the most integrity of anyone he knows, and he doesn’t want to be the cause of him losing that, because if that happened, his life would have meant nothing. I think Foggy is being a bit harsh on himself here, but it’s still a strong, emotional scene that shows just how important a character Foggy is. I certainly hope he’s not dead by the time next month’s #1 rolls around.

After this, it’s back to the court-room, and back to ‘I am Daredevil’. I love the page where Samnee draws the panels to spell that out, and inside each of those letters is the reaction of various fellow superheroes to the news. It showed just how earth-shattering this moment is in a very stylish way indeed. Really, this run of Daredevil is what ushered in Marvel’s new approach to how their books are drawn, and how much they allow the artists to experiment, and led to the likes of Hawkeye and Black Widow and more, so it was awesome to see the final issue contain such a cool flourish. Inside the court-room, Matt has gotten the result he wanted, as Ogilvy, the head of The Serpents is very pissed at having his blackmail taken away from him as Matt expands and tells the court his whole origin story. I liked how Waid wrote his way around how the opposing lawyer is silent throughout all of this, because it really isn’t pertinent to the actual case. It’s explained by the fact that the Prosecutor’s boss is James Priest, the man who Daredevil saved from a lynching when the Serpents doctored his TV appearance. A nice bit of continuity there.

Ogilvy storms out of the courtroom to order a squadron of Serpent goons to come in and assassinate Matt, but whilst we wait for that, 2 critical moments occur. The first is that Matt figures out who it is that’s framing Ogilvy’s son in this case… it’s none other than the presiding judge! He’s a high-ranking Serpent who has been battling with Ogilvy for control of the group. It was he who framed Ogilvy’s son, and he who sent Constrictor and Black Mamba to attack Daredevil and Elektra. Also integral here is Matt’s answer to the question of why he has spent the last few years so strenuously denying what he is now admitting, and why he event went so far as to sue the newspaper that outed him. His answer feels like Waid getting right to the heart of the nature of superhero secret identities, as well as explaining just why so many of them, at least at Marvel, have gone by the wayside. But it’s also completely in character for Matt Murdock, so don’t worry, it’s not just the writer lecturing you.

Matt ends his testimony by revealing the truth he’s discovered about the Judge, that he’s a Serpent, the Judge tries to declare a mistrial, but it’s right at this moment that the Serpent goon squad that Ogilvy ordered arrives, and, after pages of talking, we get some action. Chris Samnee always delivers great action sequences, and this is one of his best, even if it is quite short. Each panel is full of movement and excitement and man, I loved the splash page of Daredevil just kneeing that one Serpent in the head. It’s not quite as good as Daniel Bryan’s running knee, but it’s close. I also really liked how Kirsten McDuffie was in no way a damsel in distress in this fight, she too out some Serpents too.

So, both Ogilvy and the Judge have been revealed as Serpents and brought to justice, but not everything is hunky-dory for Matt Murdock, as he and Foggy are disbarred from practicing law in New York State. The issue ends with Kirsten and Matt talking on the roof of the now-closed Nelson & Murdock, with Matt wondering what to do next. It’s almost impossible for him to get admitted to another State Bar, unless it’s a state where he’s served before. We all know where this is leading, in the 1970s, Daredevil was in San Francisco, and it’s to there that he’s returning.

It’s going to be great fun to see Daredevil in a new (or at least, different) environment, and I’m excited that the same creative team that have done such sterling work for the last few years are still going to be behind the wheel. A new #1 isn’t really necessary, but it’s a new start, and one I can’t wait for. This has been one of the most consistent runs of any superhero series I can think of, I can’t wait for more. Hell, I might even read the digital comic!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Really good ending to this volume. I'm looking forward to seeing how Matt gets on in LA.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand