Advertisement

Darth Didio Speaks on Hellblazer Cancellation

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Re: Darth Didio Speaks on Hellblazer Cancellation

Postby 3MJ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:57 am

The comic shop I have been recently are incredibly frustrated with Before Watchmen. They have 14 shelves of backissues from recent months in their store, and two and a half of them are Before Watchmen.

Advertisement

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:00 am

Punchy wrote:
Cool, but I have seen some people who think that if you read even one superhero comic you have to be OK with all of the bullshit. Like if you read Superman you approve of DC screwing over Siegel and Shuster and therefore have to allow Before Watchmen.

I can't see the relation there really.

But I've seen some people (I'm including RU in this) who seemed to take a "It's a business what do you expect DC to do" line when talking about Before Watchmen. It was a theme prevalent on these boards.

Now something fantastic is getting cancelled due to low sales to "superhero" it up more. Well "it's business" guys and that's the way it seems DC make all of their decisions. Long term and quality be damned.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 208 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:40 am

Jubilee wrote:The comic shop I have been recently are incredibly frustrated with Before Watchmen. They have 14 shelves of backissues from recent months in their store, and two and a half of them are Before Watchmen.

Ditto. Though my LCS owner has put half of them at the front of the store at the front of the window. They are so going to have sun damage and I don't think he cares any more about the books.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 130 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:51 am

habitual wrote:
Here's the thing though, it doesn't.

Hab

Animal Man and Swamp Thing, two previous series that were part of the Vertigo launch along with Hellblazer, are both selling over 30k each in the Nu52. Hellblazer was selling just above 9,100.

It makes sense.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:00 am

Nacireman is being hypocritical in the extreme, he throws a hissyfit about the slightest changes to Superman's clothes, or anything to do with the Legion Of Superheroes, but when Constantine has a lot of what makes the character changed, he's A-OK with it and DC are right to change things.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:13 am

Punchy wrote:Nacireman is being hypocritical in the extreme, he throws a hissyfit about the slightest changes to Superman's clothes, or anything to do with the Legion Of Superheroes, but when Constantine has a lot of what makes the character changed, he's A-OK with it and DC are right to change things.

I'm critical of what doesn't work. Superman's costume? Boring as crap. Legion? It's a clusterflock.

If Hellblazer is selling below 9,200 copies, it means that the book as is isn't working.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:16 am

And as for Legion changes, I've been calling for those ever since DC f**ked things up with how it relaunched the "classic" version of the team. So there.

- Sons of the Desert

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:24 am

The Nacireman wrote:

I'm critical of what doesn't work. Superman's costume? Boring as crap. Legion? It's a clusterflock.

If Hellblazer is selling below 9,200 copies, it means that the book as is isn't working.

That's the thing though, the title has been a proven success.

Switching imprints because of a sales fall off doesn't make either editorial or business sense.

In short, it's stupid.

Hab

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:31 am

The Nacireman wrote:
Animal Man and Swamp Thing, two previous series that were part of the Vertigo launch along with Hellblazer, are both selling over 30k each in the Nu52. Hellblazer was selling just above 9,100.

It makes sense.

So by your logic we should move the Legion to Vertigo.

It makes sense right?

Hab

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:33 am

habitual wrote:

It makes sense right?

Hab

What? That's not what he's saying at all.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:35 am

The Nacireman wrote:

But Superman is selling better now than it did before the reboot, so surely it's fine?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:51 am

habitual wrote:

It makes sense right?

Hab

No, because that doesn't make sense, since one of the big things that damaged the Legion was the fact that Giffen took it in a darker, more distopic direction with FYG.

- Sons of the Desert

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:53 am

The Nacireman wrote:
No, because that doesn't make sense, since one of the big things that damaged the Legion was the fact that Giffen took it in a darker, more distopic direction with FYG.

So it only makes sense if you don't read the title?

Hab

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:00 am

Punchy wrote:
But Superman is selling better now than it did before the reboot, so surely it's fine?

Superman's sales are higher, but they've been on a steep and steady decline on both titles since the relaunch.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:02 am

habitual wrote:
So it only makes sense if you don't read the title?

Hab

No, it makes sense if not enough people are buying the title.

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand