Advertisement

Darth Didio Speaks on Hellblazer Cancellation

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Darth Didio Speaks on Hellblazer Cancellation

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:09 am

habitual wrote:
That's the thing though, the title has been a proven success.

Switching imprints because of a sales fall off doesn't make either editorial or business sense.

In short, it's stupid.

Hab

Well, it's not a success now, which is what matters.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 209 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:09 am

The Nacireman wrote:
No, it makes sense if not enough people are buying the title.

So enough people are buying the legion title and it's fine?

Didn't you just post yesterday that DC was making "desperation moves" as far as that title was concerned?

I think Punchy might have been dead on regarding your double standards.

Hab

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:20 am

The Nacireman wrote:
Well, it's not a success now, which is what matters.

So we agree, we should change the imprint of the Legion, change the writer and artists and turn the title completely on it's head, because "It's official the new Legion series is a flop".

In essence we should burn the house down to get rid of the termites.

Hab

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 91 posts

Postby PDH » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:46 am

To be honest, I think that Constantine works much better in the DCU than in Vertigo. The whole point of the character was putting him in a room with people like Batman and then standing back and watching the fireworks. He fits there because he doesn't fit there. It's a source of interesting conflict that is entirely lost when you take him out of that context.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a Vertigo book, as well. I stopped reading it a bunch of issues ago but I have been a huge fan of it at points. The Ennis, Ellis and Azz runs in particular are all superb. It's a shame that that is coming to an end but, if I'm being brutally honest, the book hasn't been that good in a long time (though Milligan was a big improvement on some of the other writers).

I don't know whether I want to read Constantine War Journal, though. I like Lemire's JLA Dark a lot. He has a great handle on the character. I would love to see him on the JLA proper, too.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:49 am

I just think DC should do both, like Marvel have done with The Punisher, Deadpool and now Wolverine, where there are MAX versions and more all-ages versions.

Do they think people are stupid and can't tell the difference? That they'll get into trouble because some parent gives Hellblazer to their kid?

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:56 am

PDH wrote:To be honest, I think that Constantine works much better in the DCU than in Vertigo. The whole point of the character was putting him in a room with people like Batman and then standing back and watching the fireworks. He fits there because he doesn't fit there. It's a source of interesting conflict that is entirely lost when you take him out of that context.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a Vertigo book, as well. I stopped reading it a bunch of issues ago but I have been a huge fan of it at points. The Ennis, Ellis and Azz runs in particular are all superb. It's a shame that that is coming to an end but, if I'm being brutally honest, the book hasn't been that good in a long time (though Milligan was a big improvement on some of the other writers).

I don't know whether I want to read Constantine War Journal, though. I like Lemire's JLA Dark a lot. He has a great handle on the character. I would love to see him on the JLA proper, too.

That's the thing though, even though the title has fallen off of late it's been proven that not only does it work well in the Vertigo Universe, it works very well.

The fact that one of the longest running and really principal Vertigo titles is in this situation reflects moreso on the current editorial staff at DC than anything else.

Hab

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:57 am

Punchy wrote:I just think DC should do both, like Marvel have done with The Punisher, Deadpool and now Wolverine, where there are MAX versions and more all-ages versions.

Do they think people are stupid and can't tell the difference? That they'll get into trouble because some parent gives Hellblazer to their kid?

Because they think a reboot is the only way they can be successful from a sales point of view.

It's like DC editorial has given up on the idea that success comes from great writing and great art and has reduced the medium to nothing more than a series of publicity stunts.

Hab

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1079 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:22 pm

habitual wrote:It's like DC editorial has given up on the idea that success comes from great writing and great art and has reduced the medium to nothing more than a series of publicity stunts.

This.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 252 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:35 pm

habitual wrote:
Because they think a reboot is the only way they can be successful from a sales point of view.

It's like DC editorial has given up on the idea that success comes from great writing and great art and has reduced the medium to nothing more than a series of publicity stunts.

Hab

Pretty much and going to stupid 90s concepts that failed.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:07 pm

habitual wrote:
That's the thing though, the title has been a proven success.

Switching imprints because of a sales fall off doesn't make either editorial or business sense.

In short, it's stupid.

Hab

It's worked for Animal Man and Swamp Thing

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 967 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:08 pm

habitual wrote:

Hab

That's been the comic book industry for the past twenty years or more.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:19 pm

The Nacireman wrote:
It's worked for Animal Man and Swamp Thing

Not really: the situations are not comparable because neither character had an ongoing before the reboot, and Animal Man had been back in the DCU since 52. Also, both characters got a huge boost by being written by big-name writers: Constantine doesn't even have that.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Punchy wrote:I just think DC should do both, like Marvel have done with The Punisher, Deadpool and now Wolverine, where there are MAX versions and more all-ages versions.

I believe the idea was to originally get the DCU characters out of Vertigo, and make it a total creator-owned imprint. Gaiman coming back to write Sandman Zero probably complicated things a little bit.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:32 pm

nietoperz wrote:
Not really: the situations are not comparable because neither character had an ongoing before the reboot, and Animal Man had been back in the DCU since 52. Also, both characters got a huge boost by being written by big-name writers: Constantine doesn't even have that.

I didn't consider Snyder a "big-name writer" before he started writing Detective. Same with Lemire.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:35 pm

habitual wrote:
So enough people are buying the legion title and it's fine?

Didn't you just post yesterday that DC was making "desperation moves" as far as that title was concerned?

I think Punchy might have been dead on regarding your double standards.

Hab

No. Sales aren't fine on Legion. DC really needs to get Levitz off the title.

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand