Advertisement

VS.! - DCnU

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: VS.! - DCnU

Postby Zechs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:26 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Well, it's an incestuous relationship that has been built up over decades. There was a time when people who were just writers got jobs in comics and told comic book stories, but for a long time now, most of the creators in comics were comic book fans. So if you wonder why Rob Liefeld would engage in countless e-battles with fans back on Newsarama's message boards, why creators fight with each other on message boards and twitter, why Dan Slott, the writer of Amazing Spider-Man, would show up here to good-naturedly tease Zechs and tell Rockman he banged his mom, why Mark Waid would tell the posters on Newsarama that they'd be eating from straws if they continued to call Stephen Wacker unprofessional for leaving DC in the middle of 52, or why Dan Didio would put Herald in a comic and goof on him, the answer is simple: they are us. If they weren't working in comics, they'd be on a message board bitching about them.

You don't need to understand the relationship between comics creators and fanboys. Comic creators ARE fanboys. Comic books themselves are pretty much corporate sponsored official fanfic. In the case of anything involving Wolverine, slashfic.

You definitely came to the right place. :)

Too true or the fact they enjoy poking the fanbase and teasing when they know full well the end result was going to be. Slott knew and enjoyed the fact of laying those clues and hints. It really is a symbiotic relationship fan boys and certain creators have with one another. I think honestly think Slott feeds and relishes fanboys such as myself. Because it makes him realize how good a writer he is to make me act out like I did. However, in DC's case they've always taken the hostel approach (Didio, Johns, Harras) in bullying or dodging the fanbase (save Gail, Scott Snyder, and Kyle Higgins who instead embrace it). Here we have a battle between the old and new guards of comics. Someone is going to give.

And if you need the ultimate example of a fanboy creator living out his dream there's Geoff Johns writing in Superboy about what if Lex Luthor was Superboy's other father and the editor of those letter columns remarks on how it's not possible. Cue five years later and Johns makes it possible. That's the greatest documented example of a fanboy creator doing what he always wanted to do and did.
Last edited by Zechs on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Advertisement

GWACamole
rubber spoon

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: Delicious

Postby GWACamole » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:26 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I can! This is my new mission.

Good luck sir, you're going to need it. Once you get this done can you kindly provide all of your info to Toadfish?

Zechs
Staff Writer

Postby Zechs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:28 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Also, it is now my mission in life to prove Dan Didio based Harold Winer on Herald. We'll have reporters at the next comic con he's at to ask him personally. :lol:

If I get a restraining order put onto me if he realizes I'm Zechs I'm giving you and Herald the evil eye forevermore. :smt011 :P

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:31 am

Toadfish wrote:About fandom and the interactions they have with the writers and artists? Yes.

I am a passive comic book fan. I follow when I feel like it, when something new comes out that peaks my interest. I do not expect either Marvel or DC to actually put out a steady stream of content for me to to read and enjoy - consequentially, I do not get worked up whenever something happens behind the scenes, or when new editors are brought in and impose a new vision. When One More Day came out, I didn't complain, I just acknowledged that that storyline, and thus Spider-Mans continual storyline would likely not hold my interest and attention for a while.

You guys are different. You exist as the active, vocal fandom, in a symbiotic relationship with the publishers. I don't understand that relationship - the ins and outs of it, the how, where and why of your interactions.

I can get the comic book pages. What I don't have is the image of Dan DiDio reading the things Herald wrote about him, and then shaking his fist, saying "I'll show you". Thats the part I need help on. I don't need a guide to comics. I need a guide to comic book fans.

To put it simply, I need some way to establish definitive context for those comic book panels.

For one, there are a lot of people who are like you who post on this site. As far as comics go, I'm also a casual reader and I come and go as I please. There are quite a few members here like that. Some members are into it but don't talk about it.

I think you have this community confused with what Newsarama used to be. This community exists because of Newsarama (as much as it pains me to say) but it really isn't Newsarama. We're pretty small-time and there aren't many comic book writers or artists who frequent our site. The most recent sightings I can think of are Dan Slott and Scott Lobdell, both of whom showed up sporadically, posted a few things and bounced.

At the end of the day, this community is really more of a community where we all share a common interest (or interests) and that is comic books. It's not really a comic book forum like Newsarama where people are going to discuss comics all the time. We're a bunch of average people (and Herald ;)) who all hang out together and talk whatever.

There aren't many rampant fanboys here.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 71 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 am

Hey. The diversity of these responses speaks for itself.

GWACamole
rubber spoon

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: Delicious

Postby GWACamole » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:37 am

Keb wrote:For one, there are a lot of people who are like you who post on this site. As far as comics go, I'm also a casual reader and I come and go as I please. There are quite a few members here like that. Some members are into it but don't talk about it.

I think you have this community confused with what Newsarama used to be. This community exists because of Newsarama (as much as it pains me to say) but it really isn't Newsarama. We're pretty small-time and there aren't many comic book writers or artists who frequent our site. The most recent sightings I can think of are Dan Slott and Scott Lobdell, both of whom showed up sporadically, posted a few things and bounced.

At the end of the day, this community is really more of a community where we all share a common interest (or interests) and that is comic books. It's not really a comic book forum like Newsarama where people are going to discuss comics all the time. We're a bunch of average people (and Herald ;)) who all hang out together and talk whatever.

There aren't many rampant fanboys here.

Well said Keb. You pretty much just said what I was thinking but was too stupid to write. :D

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:37 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Hey. The diversity of these responses speaks for itself.

If the Outhouse was a Wu-Tang skit, you would be U-God asking "Is he dead?" :smt011

Toadfish
Tip Top Dancer

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Toadfish » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:47 am

There has always been one thing about this that bugged me.

Herald, how does DiDio know you're African American?

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 18 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:39 am

I spoke with Didio once for line 30 mins here in Toronto and I found him to be a nice guy and really genuine.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 71 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:11 am

Toadfish wrote:There has always been one thing about this that bugged me.

Herald, how does DiDio know you're African American?

We keep lists of everyone's race, religion, and sexual preferences.

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 11 posts

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:40 am

Toadfish wrote:
You guys are different. You exist as the active, vocal fandom, in a symbiotic relationship with the publishers. I don't understand that relationship - the ins and outs of it, the how, where and why of your interactions.

I can get the comic book pages. What I don't have is the image of Dan DiDio reading the things Herald wrote about him, and then shaking his fist, saying "I'll show you". Thats the part I need help on. I don't need a guide to comics. I need a guide to comic book fans.

To put it simply, I need some way to establish definitive context for those comic book panels.

Here's another suggestion. Instead of focusing on one thing that had it's Internet "fame" for about 15 seconds years ago, why not look at all of us ? Attending a comic-con could give you all kinds of insight as you'll see this interaction live and going on all around you. Or just threads like this on multiple sites where fans will gladly give you a plethora of ideas and stories. Why not look at the relationship between Zechs and Slott that happened here ? Or any of the sites where Creators like Gail Simone and others interact with posters daily. Jude and Zechs have tried to steer you toward this path and give you this information multiple times in this thread alone yet you keep circling back to Herald and Didio.

It just seems odd.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Toadfish
Tip Top Dancer

Postby Toadfish » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:14 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Here's another suggestion. Instead of focusing on one thing that had it's Internet "fame" for about 15 seconds years ago, why not look at all of us ? Attending a comic-con could give you all kinds of insight as you'll see this interaction live and going on all around you. Or just threads like this on multiple sites where fans will gladly give you a plethora of ideas and stories. Why not look at the relationship between Zechs and Slott that happened here ? Or any of the sites where Creators like Gail Simone and others interact with posters daily. Jude and Zechs have tried to steer you toward this path and give you this information multiple times in this thread alone yet you keep circling back to Herald and Didio.

It just seems odd.
Was Zechs ever inserted into a comic just so he could be beat up? No? Then why on earth would I want to look into him?

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 11 posts

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Is 'Cracked' so desperate for material that they will accept an article about something that is years old ?
I always assumed there was a reason it was called "news".

Not to mention that you keep completely side-stepping valid points some of us are making.
Draco standard response protocol #2 :idea:
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Zechs
Staff Writer

Postby Zechs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Toadfish wrote:Was Zechs ever inserted into a comic just so he could be beat up? No? Then why on earth would I want to look into him?

Because Slott isn't that petty. He confronts his detractors or trolls them for his own amusement when he knows the outcome. If you need to view the history any further. Or sums up the two of us:

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... rview.html

Same with Kurt Busiek used to be exactly that or Gail Simone. Though the later has a legion of followers to fight her battles now as evidenced with her losing than regaining the job as writer of Batgirl. Busiek? I dunno maybe he does visit a forum but not as frequent as he did on Old Rama. That or MoTa scared him too much when they had eight hour debates on Old Rama then three hour ones on CBR.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Toadfish
Tip Top Dancer

Postby Toadfish » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:51 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Is 'Cracked' so desperate for material that they will accept an article about something that is years old ?
I always assumed there was a reason it was called "news".

Where does the word News appear once on that site? Its comedy. Nobody cares when it happened, as long as its funny.

One of my other examples is from the mid 18th century. You gonna complain that that happened too long ago?

Acting like an immature douche is a timeless thing. It doesn't really matter when it happened.
Zechs wrote:
Because Slott isn't that petty. He confronts his detractors or trolls them for his own amusement when he knows the outcome. If you need to view the history any further. Or sums up the two of us:

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... rview.html
So he reacted in a relatively healthy and adult manner. What am I supposed to do with that?

Alright, lets go to the bottom of this. What exactly do you think I'm looking for?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand