Advertisement

Definately not the Last Son of Krypton...

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1019 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Definately not the Last Son of Krypton...

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:35 am

The upcoming storyline "New Kryton" bring 100,000 Kryptonians to Earth.

Some interesting tidbits from the article..

"You've got 100,000 people with the powers of Superman," Idelson said, "but they weren't raised the way he was. They don't have human values. They don't know what's important to us. And it's going to get messy."

"And there's hundreds of Zod's soldiers in there from when Brainiac attacked Kandor. It's not like, 'Hey! Cool! We're back! Alright!,'" Johns said.

Johns said that Superman, Supergirl, 100,000 Kryptonians and Zod's soldiers are just the start -- the entire Superman universe will be involved in the story.

"It's going to involve the entire cast and a lot of the villains. It's going to redefine a lot of villains, like Reactron and Metallo," Johns said.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:29 am

It's not like this hasn't been part of his history for a really long time. It's Kandor being released. It'll be temporary and then they'll be stuck back in the bottle again.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:34 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:It's not like this hasn't been part of his history for a really long time. It's Kandor being released. It'll be temporary and then they'll be stuck back in the bottle again.

I'm hoping it's not temporary. I don't know how they could work it out, but leaving them in another of the 52 universes might work. I think the "Last Son of Krypton" tag hurts the Superman mythos more than it helps.

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:34 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:It's not like this hasn't been part of his history for a really long time. It's Kandor being released. It'll be temporary and then they'll be stuck back in the bottle again.

Is Preus still around?

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:35 am

False Prophet wrote:I'm hoping it's not temporary. I don't know how they could work it out, but leaving them in another of the 52 universes might work. I think the "Last Son of Krypton" tag hurts the Superman mythos more than it helps.

I always like the Last Son thing, but the droppin them off in one of the 52 could be cool.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:40 am

BubbaKanoosh wrote:I always like the Last Son thing, but the droppin them off in one of the 52 could be cool.

I've always liked the "parents sacrificing themselves to save child from dying planet" part more than the "lone survivor of his planet" part. Plus, it's not as if DC will ever truly adhere to it anyway, so what's the point in even pretending?

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:05 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Is Preus still around?

I don't know who that is.

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:18 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:I don't know who that is.

He was from the Jeph Loeb and Mike Turner storyline of superman. When Supes road the motorbike.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:39 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:He was from the Jeph Loeb and Mike Turner storyline of superman. When Supes road the motorbike.

I'm very glad that I still have no idea what you are talking about. That sounds awful. Jeff Loeb really is a terrible writer sometimes.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:42 pm

It sounds like an awesome story.

I wonder if they'll end up in the Phantom Zone with Zod and his army. That's a whole lot more Kryptonians also.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:01 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:He was from the Jeph Loeb and Mike Turner storyline of superman. When Supes road the motorbike.
Michael Turner and Steven T. Seagle wasn't it? I have that hardcover.
SHABBA!

Face Loran
Birdman

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Face Loran » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:16 pm

Keb Ellis wrote:Michael Turner and Steven T. Seagle wasn't it? I have that hardcover.

Superman: Godfall by Michael Turner & Joe Kelly with pencils by Talent Caldwell

Superman Wiki wrote:The story revolved around an amnesiac Superman living with his wife, Lyla, in Kandor. The story updated Kandor and gave Superman a variant costume, as well as introducing a new Kryptonian villain, Preus.

Lyla was actually an alien empath controlling Superman's mind. The new costume was the uniform of the Kandorian police, of which Kal-El thought he was a member. Preus was a fellow officer who worshipped Superman but was racist against all non-Kryptonians.

Wikipedia wrote:Eventually shattering the illusion, Superman escaped Kandor and confronted Lyla back in Metropolis. Preus followed them, but exposure to Earth's air and yellow sun drastically affected him, giving him strange, new powers equal to Superman's while amplifying his already-unbalanced racist views.

Convinced that Kal-El defiled the legacy of "The Superman," Preus swore to assume that responsibility himself, and that all of the impure would die by his hand. His xenophobia led him to a group of white supremacists in the American desert, who he forced into worshipping him and his views. However, in time, the people of "God's Peake" (as the camp was called) came to worship Preus as their cult leader. His increasing prominence eventually led both Martian Manhunter and Jimmy Olsen to investigate, only to have both of them captured by Preus and his men.

This forced a confrontation with Superman, who, at the time, was dealing with the effects of Gog's synthetic Yellow Kryptonite, which had significantly aged and weakened Superman in a short period of time. So weakened, Superman was barely able to deal with Preus' legions alone, and quickly found himself outclassed by the (at the time) much more vital Preus.

A last-ditch gambit using Kryptonite to try and weaken Preus failed, as Preus revealed a previously unknown resistance to Kryptonite. However, he was finally defeated when Superman attacked and destroyed a key portion of Preus' armor, rendering him unconscious. Afterwards, Preus was injured from that attack and had to be hospitalized. His current whereabouts are unknown. He was last seen as a weakened Superman tried to fly him to S.T.A.R. labs for treatment. Preus disappeared after Superman was engaged by an army of Gogs.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 181 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:19 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:I always like the Last Son thing, but the droppin them off in one of the 52 could be cool.

They'll probably end up in the Last Son version of Roykin.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:54 pm

yep. definitely dropping the S-titles when the current Brainiac arc ends. i really have zero interest in this.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 181 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:07 pm

chap22 wrote:yep. definitely dropping the S-titles when the current Brainiac arc ends. i really have zero interest in this.

Action went back to the "read at the bookstore" list as soon as the "Legion" story ended. I have totally disliked Johns' total pu$$ification of Clark Kent.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand