Advertisement

Demon Knights #2 (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Demon Knights #2 (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:45 pm

This was... disappointing. The last issue really laid a lot of really great groundwork, but this issue just didn't seem very disposed toward doing really anything. I mean, yes Vandal Savage eating the dinosaurs was rather cute and the appearance of Victory with Ystrin riding atop him was kind of cool, but so much of this was just "meh".

I'm still having a hard time with the characters. Madame Xanadu still bothers me, but not as much as it did last month, in large part because I have reconciled myself to the fact that she really isn't the same character as she was in the Vertigo series. But what really bugged me in this one was Etrigan. He was really just annoying. Not bad-@$$. Not even a hard-@$$. He was just a douche-bag. He was just thoroughly unlikable and considering that Cornell seems to be fashioning him as the lead character, that does not bode well for my interest in this story.

That all being said, I still love the setting. I love the sword-and-sorcery genre and I love that they are taking these characters and letting them (ostensibly) shine in their own title. And did I mention last week that I giggle like a school girl every time Mordru shows up? But my fantasy geekiness will only hold out so long before I just get fed up with this book. The plot is going to have to start moving and soon, else I will be moving on as well.

Advertisement

m0d0k
Bron-Yur Stomper

Title: Designed Only for Killing
Formerly: I am MODOK

Re: Demon Knights #2 (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Postby m0d0k » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:28 am

Agree 100%. How odd is it that Cornell's books essentially swapped quality levels with their second issues?
At least one review a day! http://comicperday.blogspot.com/

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 186 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:54 am

So far all the #2's I've read have been pretty bad. This was one of the worst though. The first issue barely interested me but this just killed any interest I might have had in it. I honestly couldnt tell you what happened in this issue.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:07 am

avengingtitan wrote:So far all the #2's I've read have been pretty bad. This was one of the worst though. The first issue barely interested me but this just killed any interest I might have had in it. I honestly couldnt tell you what happened in this issue.

That's just it: nothing happened! The heroes fought dinosaurs, then they talked about leaving. Mordru and the Queen sent pterodactyls. The heroes started to fight the pterodactyls. Mordru sent a huge fireball.

That's it.

I usually like Cornell, but this was pretty unacceptable.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 171 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:42 am

Meh, I liked it. It was more introduction to exactly what each of our cast can do, powers-wise, limitations, etc. Not much plot advancement, no, but that's fine by me. I thought issue 1 was so busy naming all our characters we didn't really get any other idea about who or what they were beyond that, so I was glad Cornell did some of that here.

As for other #2's so far, just this week B&R was great, Resurrection Man was fun, and Legion Lost, God help me, was terrific.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:08 am

Wow, this book doesn’t let up for a moment does it? I liked the frenetic pace of #1 but I feel that maybe this issue should have taken the opportunity to slow down a little and introduce the characters a bit more rather than just have a massive fight. Paul Cornell did a decent enough job of explaining who Al Jabr, Exoristos and all the others are during the fight, but it did feel a bit rushed. I do like Cornell’s take on the Demon a lot, his admission that he is, you know, evil was a lot of fun. I was a little confused about the ending, was that fireball due to Madame Xanadu or Mordru? The artwork from Diogenes Neves was a mixed bag, on some pages it looked really great, and on others it was a little rushed. Overall this was good, but it needs to calm down and stop just chucking dragons in our face.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand