Advertisement

Dial H #4 (Rescue Jack Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Dial H #4 (Rescue Jack Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:54 am

This book just gets weirder and weirder, and I’m really enjoying it. After burning through the New Crobuzon trilogy over the last month or so, I’m taking a break from Mieville novels and reading something simpler, but this is a nice little taste of his unique style every month. The main crux of this issue is that we find out a little bit more about who Squid and Ex Nihilo are, and also what in the fuck that weird Abyss thing last issue was. It’s all very complex and weird, but it makes sense, and I liked that Squid was revealed to not be all bad. The other interesting thing here is that Nelson became a hero without using the dial. He became ‘Rescue Jack’ just by putting on a cape and getting a hammer and some spanners. It’s hard to imagine the Nelson of #1 doing that, and it’s very clever how the Dial has not just turned him into a hero on the surface level, but how it’s effected him underneath too. Was anyone else who’s read Mieville’s novels reminded of The Weaver by Abyss? They spoke in similar elliptical ways. Mateus Santolouco’s art is also getting better and better, he manages to stop everything from getting too crazy and hard to follow.

Advertisement

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Re: Dial H #4 (Rescue Jack Spoilers)

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:07 pm

I'm reading it, but this is one strange book. I'm giving it until the first arc finishes before I decide whether I'm going to pull the plug.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Dial H #4 (Rescue Jack Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:54 pm

alaska1125 wrote:I'm reading it, but this is one strange book.

Agreed, but after this issue I understand what's going on pretty much. Overall, I'm liking what I'm reading.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand