Advertisement

did we ever find out what...

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: did we ever find out what...

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Rockman wrote:
I guess that's the nature of the business people forget about stories and move on. But I think good storytelling is not letting things like the favor Loki owes Spider-man or stuff like this just disappear but rather tell a complete and compelling story. Too bad today's writers don't care too much about telling good stories.

I think a real genius benefit of Superior Spider-Man is that it showed people who are still (fucking still) complaining about un-married Peter just how much worse it could be. Now, when Amazing relaunches and Peter is back (but still single) all those fans are just going to be glad to have him back.

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:53 pm

Who cares that he is unmarried?

What matters is that Peter Parker made a deal with the literal devil to save his aged aunt who had told him to let her go like two issues prior to it. This choice had ramifications on every single person he knew and messed with the minds of almost every person on the entire planet.

This is a terrible thing for a hero to do, but it was all swept under the rug rather than being followed up on in any meaningful manner.

All to reset the characters continuity to put him in the position where he was last written well (the 80's) Sadly most of the stories after OMD were not very good either. Why is that? Didn't Quesada say it was difficult to write a married spider-man? Why can't his writers write a good single Spider-man? Dan Slott was so incapable of writing a good Peter Parker he had to kill the character off and replace him with one of his oldest villains.

and there is not statute of limitations of complaining about a bad story. Some people can go overboard with their fan hate. But as a consumer who payed money for that garbage I have a right to say that it was a bad story I can say that today and ten years from now it will always be true. It fundamentally changed the character from someone who would ultimately do the right thing at any cost to a man who would compromise the very fabric of reality in order to save his 90 year old aunt and that's not really a character I want to read about anymore. Just like Scott Summers is a man who abandoned his wife and child to chase an old girlfriend. Characters can be redeemed for sure but they made attempt to do that for Pete and they didn't attempt to do that for Scott either.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 50 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:42 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
You know this is the thread you started for OMD, not my snarky ASM #1.1 article thread, right? :P

What other reboot are they taking about? :-P

TheLurker
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Hefner

Postby TheLurker » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:43 pm

Rockman wrote:Who cares that he is unmarried?

What matters is that Peter Parker made a deal with the literal devil to save his aged aunt who had told him to let her go like two issues prior to it. This choice had ramifications on every single person he knew and messed with the minds of almost every person on the entire planet.

This is a terrible thing for a hero to do, but it was all swept under the rug rather than being followed up on in any meaningful manner.

All to reset the characters continuity to put him in the position where he was last written well (the 80's) Sadly most of the stories after OMD were not very good either. Why is that? Didn't Quesada say it was difficult to write a married spider-man? Why can't his writers write a good single Spider-man? Dan Slott was so incapable of writing a good Peter Parker he had to kill the character off and replace him with one of his oldest villains.

and there is not statute of limitations of complaining about a bad story. Some people can go overboard with their fan hate. But as a consumer who payed money for that garbage I have a right to say that it was a bad story I can say that today and ten years from now it will always be true. It fundamentally changed the character from someone who would ultimately do the right thing at any cost to a man who would compromise the very fabric of reality in order to save his 90 year old aunt and that's not really a character I want to read about anymore. Just like Scott Summers is a man who abandoned his wife and child to chase an old girlfriend. Characters can be redeemed for sure but they made attempt to do that for Pete and they didn't attempt to do that for Scott either.

IF, IF, IF, IF . . .

If it had somehow shown Peter to be a hero that later regretted his actions or knew that he was "making a deal with the Devil" it may have been perceived better. He is only human, so if he did something regrettable for a loved one it would be understandable. But it was as if he got off lightly. Yaaah, I am single again. I lost interest very soon because of how bad it was done (among other reasons).

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:09 pm

thefourthman wrote:I think y'all are taking the article's snark a little too seriously. I don't think thus is a reboot just a first sixty days take one shot. Probably to keep the book from getting delayed.

I wasn't talking about delays. I was talking about OMD.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 50 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:41 am

Arion wrote:
I wasn't talking about delays. I was talking about OMD.

I don't think I would qualify OMD as a reboot

Scintillant-H
Post Whore

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker

Postby Scintillant-H » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:47 am

Rockman wrote:Who cares that he is unmarried?

I fucking love you for this. All of it. :-D As it only supports all my evil beliefs, thus giving me reign to continue on to ruin the universe as we all know it.

... about that last part... don't tell Strict. >_>

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:29 pm

thefourthman wrote:I don't think I would qualify OMD as a reboot

A brutal retcon then ?

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Postby Psivage » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Thought she said let her remember everything.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:03 pm

Psivage wrote:Thought she said let her remember everything.

There are contradictory versions. Seems like Quesada contradicted himself...

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand