Thursday, June 30, 2016 • Morning Edition • "We're the god damn Outhousers."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Did DC really just do that?? Action Comics 10 Spoilers

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:51 pm

nietoperz wrote: that Nimrod will be able to shoot Superman with a microscopic pellet filled with his enemies that will become lodged in his brain,

I know that I read comics, and its all relative
but this sounds really fucking stupid
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:53 pm

GHERU wrote:I know that I read comics, and its all relative
but this sounds really fucking stupid


Morrison makes it work. I'm not sure anyone else could have done, though.
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:59 pm

nietoperz wrote:
Morrison makes it work. I'm not sure anyone else could have done, though.

This bullet story worked SOOOO much better than the one he did in Final Crisis.
User avatar

The Beast

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby The Beast » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:31 pm

nietoperz wrote:
It's kind of hard to write short synopses of Grant Morrison ideas. :lol:


Not at all.

Morrison’s style of writing is the comic book equivalent of music sampling, neither of which are legitimate forms of artistic expression. He doesn’t tell stories, he reconstructs old ideas into a curriculim that Bloggers can source for their Annotated Reviews so their pseudo intellectualism can fuel his personal glory.

As someone else pointed out.

Image

:smt011
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:46 pm

nietoperz wrote:
Superman got his new outfit five years ago, at the end of the first Action Comics arc. This storyline is happening in the past, because we know from #5-6's interlude storyline that Nimrod will be able to shoot Superman with a microscopic pellet filled with his enemies that will become lodged in his brain, and dealt with by the modern day Superman.


I now stand corrected, sir.I had only flipped through the issue when I posted my original reply.
User avatar

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:12 pm

At the same time, 9 issues in, it really shouldn't take this much explanation should it? Good thing they're making it easy for the "new readers".
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:30 am

Well, that was unexpected. One of the problems books set in the past face is that, we already know that the characters are around in present day titles, so there’s no sense of jeopardy. Superman can’t die or lose because has to be alive for events in Superman or Justice League or wherever to happen. Except in this title, because Grant Morrison just killed off Clark Kent. Of course, Clark has to come back somehow because he’s still Superman’s alter-ego in the present day, but I’m very excited to see how Morrison writes his way out of this whole, and it also brings back some level of unexpectedness to the title, and loosens things up a little. I continue to love this take on Superman, the return to his socially conscious roots, and the scene where he stopped the child-killer was probably the highlight. I also liked the small scene with the Justice League, where Superman tried to convince them to help the world in his way, but couldn’t, because the other League members weren’t willing to break international protocol, they didn’t want to rock the boat. I want more boat-rocking! But still, that was a strong scene with good dialogue from all of the JLA. I also thought it was interesting that Superman used his spandex-suit when with the league, but on his solo mission, he was still in the jeans and t-shirt combo, a clear delineation between his two roles. That’s not to say this issue was totally brilliant, the villain was clearly a Kraven rip-off, but it’ll be interesting to see what he’s like with his Iron Mask, and who the heck is that little guy? Is he Mxyzptlk?
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:05 am

Punchy wrote: the villain was clearly a Kraven rip-off, but it’ll be interesting to see what he’s like with his Iron Mask,

Go back a few months and reread Action #5 if you want a hint.
User avatar

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Punchy wrote:Well, that was unexpected. One of the problems books set in the past face is that, we already know that the characters are around in present day titles, so there’s no sense of jeopardy. Superman can’t die or lose because has to be alive for events in Superman or Justice League or wherever to happen. Except in this title, because Grant Morrison just killed off Clark Kent. Of course, Clark has to come back somehow because he’s still Superman’s alter-ego in the present day, but I’m very excited to see how Morrison writes his way out of this whole, and it also brings back some level of unexpectedness to the title, and loosens things up a little. I continue to love this take on Superman, the return to his socially conscious roots, and the scene where he stopped the child-killer was probably the highlight. I also liked the small scene with the Justice League, where Superman tried to convince them to help the world in his way, but couldn’t, because the other League members weren’t willing to break international protocol, they didn’t want to rock the boat. I want more boat-rocking! But still, that was a strong scene with good dialogue from all of the JLA. I also thought it was interesting that Superman used his spandex-suit when with the league, but on his solo mission, he was still in the jeans and t-shirt combo, a clear delineation between his two roles. That’s not to say this issue was totally brilliant, the villain was clearly a Kraven rip-off, but it’ll be interesting to see what he’s like with his Iron Mask, and who the heck is that little guy? Is he Mxyzptlk?


I'm enjoying this, for the most part. But you nailed a pretty serious problem. I don't for one second think the "Clark Kent is dead" story lasts beyond the next issue or two. I can also think of about a thousand comic related Cliché's to explain it away. I don't hate it, but it's possible that this story would work better in the present day. Just a thought.
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:14 am

Morrison also needs to explain who that other adult Legion is that saved Superman from the Anti-Superman K Squad or whatever they were called.
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:20 pm

Punchy wrote:Well, that was unexpected. One of the problems books set in the past face is that, we already know that the characters are around in present day titles, so there’s no sense of jeopardy. Superman can’t die or lose because has to be alive for events in Superman or Justice League or wherever to happen. Except in this title, because Grant Morrison just killed off Clark Kent. Of course, Clark has to come back somehow because he’s still Superman’s alter-ego in the present day, but I’m very excited to see how Morrison writes his way out of this whole, and it also brings back some level of unexpectedness to the title, and loosens things up a little.


This whole what? Predicament?
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Punchy wrote:Well, that was unexpected. One of the problems books set in the past face is that, we already know that the characters are around in present day titles, so there’s no sense of jeopardy. Superman can’t die or lose because has to be alive for events in Superman or Justice League or wherever to happen. Except in this title, because Grant Morrison just killed off Clark Kent. Of course, Clark has to come back somehow because he’s still Superman’s alter-ego in the present day, but I’m very excited to see how Morrison writes his way out of this whole, and it also brings back some level of unexpectedness to the title, and loosens things up a little. I continue to love this take on Superman, the return to his socially conscious roots, and the scene where he stopped the child-killer was probably the highlight. I also liked the small scene with the Justice League, where Superman tried to convince them to help the world in his way, but couldn’t, because the other League members weren’t willing to break international protocol, they didn’t want to rock the boat. I want more boat-rocking! But still, that was a strong scene with good dialogue from all of the JLA. I also thought it was interesting that Superman used his spandex-suit when with the league, but on his solo mission, he was still in the jeans and t-shirt combo, a clear delineation between his two roles. That’s not to say this issue was totally brilliant, the villain was clearly a Kraven rip-off, but it’ll be interesting to see what he’s like with his Iron Mask, and who the heck is that little guy? Is he Mxyzptlk?


So when are we going to see Mr. "Occupy" Superman get around to ground and pounding Scott Walker and the other Republican governors who think public employees shouln't have any rights?

Or who try to strip local governments of their ability to govern on their own?

Or tell the Republicans to get off their @$$es and stop trying to obstruct any attempt to kickstart the US economy.

I thought this was "Springsteen" Superman, not whiny useless liberal pu$$y US Govt. hating Superman.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:21 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Morrison also needs to explain who that other adult Legion is that saved Superman from the Anti-Superman K Squad or whatever they were called.


Or maybe Levitz should get off his lazy @$$, remove his head out of said @$$ and try to reconcile the Legion to the rest of the DCnU, like he should have done in the first fraking place.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], MSNbot Media and 72 guests