Advertisement

Did DC really just do that?? Action Comics 10 Spoilers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 431 posts

Re: Did DC really just do that?? Action Comics 10 Spoilers

Postby GHERU » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:51 pm

nietoperz wrote: that Nimrod will be able to shoot Superman with a microscopic pellet filled with his enemies that will become lodged in his brain,

I know that I read comics, and its all relative
but this sounds really fucking stupid
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 274 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:53 pm

GHERU wrote:I know that I read comics, and its all relative
but this sounds really fucking stupid

Morrison makes it work. I'm not sure anyone else could have done, though.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 573 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:59 pm

nietoperz wrote:
Morrison makes it work. I'm not sure anyone else could have done, though.

This bullet story worked SOOOO much better than the one he did in Final Crisis.

Liam Rodgers
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 114 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:31 pm

nietoperz wrote:
It's kind of hard to write short synopses of Grant Morrison ideas. :lol:

Not at all.

Morrison’s style of writing is the comic book equivalent of music sampling, neither of which are legitimate forms of artistic expression. He doesn’t tell stories, he reconstructs old ideas into a curriculim that Bloggers can source for their Annotated Reviews so their pseudo intellectualism can fuel his personal glory.

As someone else pointed out.

:smt011

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 485 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:46 pm

nietoperz wrote:
Superman got his new outfit five years ago, at the end of the first Action Comics arc. This storyline is happening in the past, because we know from #5-6's interlude storyline that Nimrod will be able to shoot Superman with a microscopic pellet filled with his enemies that will become lodged in his brain, and dealt with by the modern day Superman.

I now stand corrected, sir.I had only flipped through the issue when I posted my original reply.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:12 pm

At the same time, 9 issues in, it really shouldn't take this much explanation should it? Good thing they're making it easy for the "new readers".

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:30 am

Well, that was unexpected. One of the problems books set in the past face is that, we already know that the characters are around in present day titles, so there’s no sense of jeopardy. Superman can’t die or lose because has to be alive for events in Superman or Justice League or wherever to happen. Except in this title, because Grant Morrison just killed off Clark Kent. Of course, Clark has to come back somehow because he’s still Superman’s alter-ego in the present day, but I’m very excited to see how Morrison writes his way out of this whole, and it also brings back some level of unexpectedness to the title, and loosens things up a little. I continue to love this take on Superman, the return to his socially conscious roots, and the scene where he stopped the child-killer was probably the highlight. I also liked the small scene with the Justice League, where Superman tried to convince them to help the world in his way, but couldn’t, because the other League members weren’t willing to break international protocol, they didn’t want to rock the boat. I want more boat-rocking! But still, that was a strong scene with good dialogue from all of the JLA. I also thought it was interesting that Superman used his spandex-suit when with the league, but on his solo mission, he was still in the jeans and t-shirt combo, a clear delineation between his two roles. That’s not to say this issue was totally brilliant, the villain was clearly a Kraven rip-off, but it’ll be interesting to see what he’s like with his Iron Mask, and who the heck is that little guy? Is he Mxyzptlk?

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 573 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:05 am

Punchy wrote: the villain was clearly a Kraven rip-off, but it’ll be interesting to see what he’s like with his Iron Mask,

Go back a few months and reread Action #5 if you want a hint.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Punchy wrote:Well, that was unexpected. One of the problems books set in the past face is that, we already know that the characters are around in present day titles, so there’s no sense of jeopardy. Superman can’t die or lose because has to be alive for events in Superman or Justice League or wherever to happen. Except in this title, because Grant Morrison just killed off Clark Kent. Of course, Clark has to come back somehow because he’s still Superman’s alter-ego in the present day, but I’m very excited to see how Morrison writes his way out of this whole, and it also brings back some level of unexpectedness to the title, and loosens things up a little. I continue to love this take on Superman, the return to his socially conscious roots, and the scene where he stopped the child-killer was probably the highlight. I also liked the small scene with the Justice League, where Superman tried to convince them to help the world in his way, but couldn’t, because the other League members weren’t willing to break international protocol, they didn’t want to rock the boat. I want more boat-rocking! But still, that was a strong scene with good dialogue from all of the JLA. I also thought it was interesting that Superman used his spandex-suit when with the league, but on his solo mission, he was still in the jeans and t-shirt combo, a clear delineation between his two roles. That’s not to say this issue was totally brilliant, the villain was clearly a Kraven rip-off, but it’ll be interesting to see what he’s like with his Iron Mask, and who the heck is that little guy? Is he Mxyzptlk?

I'm enjoying this, for the most part. But you nailed a pretty serious problem. I don't for one second think the "Clark Kent is dead" story lasts beyond the next issue or two. I can also think of about a thousand comic related Cliché's to explain it away. I don't hate it, but it's possible that this story would work better in the present day. Just a thought.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 485 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:14 am

Morrison also needs to explain who that other adult Legion is that saved Superman from the Anti-Superman K Squad or whatever they were called.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 802 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:20 pm

Punchy wrote:Well, that was unexpected. One of the problems books set in the past face is that, we already know that the characters are around in present day titles, so there’s no sense of jeopardy. Superman can’t die or lose because has to be alive for events in Superman or Justice League or wherever to happen. Except in this title, because Grant Morrison just killed off Clark Kent. Of course, Clark has to come back somehow because he’s still Superman’s alter-ego in the present day, but I’m very excited to see how Morrison writes his way out of this whole, and it also brings back some level of unexpectedness to the title, and loosens things up a little.

This whole what? Predicament?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Punchy wrote:Well, that was unexpected. One of the problems books set in the past face is that, we already know that the characters are around in present day titles, so there’s no sense of jeopardy. Superman can’t die or lose because has to be alive for events in Superman or Justice League or wherever to happen. Except in this title, because Grant Morrison just killed off Clark Kent. Of course, Clark has to come back somehow because he’s still Superman’s alter-ego in the present day, but I’m very excited to see how Morrison writes his way out of this whole, and it also brings back some level of unexpectedness to the title, and loosens things up a little. I continue to love this take on Superman, the return to his socially conscious roots, and the scene where he stopped the child-killer was probably the highlight. I also liked the small scene with the Justice League, where Superman tried to convince them to help the world in his way, but couldn’t, because the other League members weren’t willing to break international protocol, they didn’t want to rock the boat. I want more boat-rocking! But still, that was a strong scene with good dialogue from all of the JLA. I also thought it was interesting that Superman used his spandex-suit when with the league, but on his solo mission, he was still in the jeans and t-shirt combo, a clear delineation between his two roles. That’s not to say this issue was totally brilliant, the villain was clearly a Kraven rip-off, but it’ll be interesting to see what he’s like with his Iron Mask, and who the heck is that little guy? Is he Mxyzptlk?

So when are we going to see Mr. "Occupy" Superman get around to ground and pounding Scott Walker and the other Republican governors who think public employees shouln't have any rights?

Or who try to strip local governments of their ability to govern on their own?

Or tell the Republicans to get off their @$$es and stop trying to obstruct any attempt to kickstart the US economy.

I thought this was "Springsteen" Superman, not whiny useless liberal pu$$y US Govt. hating Superman.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:21 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Morrison also needs to explain who that other adult Legion is that saved Superman from the Anti-Superman K Squad or whatever they were called.

Or maybe Levitz should get off his lazy @$$, remove his head out of said @$$ and try to reconcile the Legion to the rest of the DCnU, like he should have done in the first fraking place.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand