Advertisement

DC Did Something Right Today: Stephanie Brown to Return

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 255 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Re: DC Did Something Right Today: Stephanie Brown to Return

Postby fieldy snuts » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:16 am

Punchy wrote:DC needs to realise that fans don't actually care about Stephanie Brown or any of the other missing characters, they just like to complain.

Truth. They're not essential characters, they only really extra's that have gotten lost in the shuffle.

DC won't exactly wither and die without Spoiler and Cassandra Cain. Or Henshaw.

Advertisement

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 22 posts

Postby UnionJack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:34 am

I thought that the Stephanie Brown Batgirl series was the best of all the Bat-Titles, pre-NU52. However, I think she is a character of the old DC Universe, along with Cassandra Cain, Wally West & Donna Troy. The New Teen Titans was one of my all-time favourite series and West & Troy were great characters in it. Can't really see any of these characters adding much to the 52, I think they just don't fit anymore.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:14 am

adamiani wrote:

Sorry, man. But DC hasn't earned a lot of trust lately, you know?

Then why do you want these characters back anyway?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:57 am

What were all the crusading campaigns and waffle drives for exactly, if they weren't to draw attention to Stephanie Brown character and get her on the active list again rather than let it fade into obscurity? :?

You people are confused.

SporkBot
cheese

Liked in: 282 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Postby SporkBot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:50 am

Punchy wrote:DC needs to realise that fans don't actually care about Stephanie Brown or any of the other missing characters, they just like to complain.

fieldy snuts wrote:Truth.

Falsehood. That's like stabbing someone with a paring knife and saying, "oh, he's not really hurting, he just likes to complain. Complain and bleed."

Unless there's some genuine, credible evidence to back up this idea, it seems more like SOMEONE "just likes to complain", but it's not fans of Steph, Cass, Wally or Donna.

They're not essential characters, they only really extra's that have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Depends on your definition of essential. Just because someone isn't the invulnerable demi-god that punches planets out of orbit, or can't force an honest confession from a hardened criminal with a glance, does not mean that someone is not essential to some capacity.

adamiani wrote:Sorry, man. But DC hasn't earned a lot of trust lately, you know?

Punchy wrote:Then why do you want these characters back anyway?

Because it's DC's failing, not the characters'. Especially when they try to kill them or turn them evil for no reason and it backfires. Dido, Harras, Lee, and even Johns should be learning that not every character has to have the same grim-dark badass (or jerkass) aspect.

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Postby Lord Ice » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:58 am

If the fans of Doiby Dickles weren't old and senile by now, they'd probably constantly complain about DC not having him around too. :roll: :-D

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 187 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:17 am

That reminds me, where's Bibbo these days? :smt017

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 22 posts

Postby David Bird » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:30 am

Brown and Cain have been a part of DC canon for a long time, since '92 and '99 respectively, and both of headlined successful comic runs. No one has ever claimed they were A listers, but they're hardly unimportant.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:55 am

Victorian Squid wrote:What were all the crusading campaigns and waffle drives for exactly, if they weren't to draw attention to Stephanie Brown character and get her on the active list again rather than let it fade into obscurity? :?

You people are confused.

They're not confused; they're willfully ignorant.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 177 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:05 am

UnionJack wrote:I thought that the Stephanie Brown Batgirl series was the best of all the Bat-Titles, pre-NU52. However, I think she is a character of the old DC Universe, along with Cassandra Cain, Wally West & Donna Troy. The New Teen Titans was one of my all-time favourite series and West & Troy were great characters in it. Can't really see any of these characters adding much to the 52, I think they just don't fit anymore.

It very much was. It was incredibly new reader friendly, actually fun and did a lot of done in one stories that you didn't have to read 6 issues to get a whole decompressed story.

Heavily underrated book and the current Batgirl book is nowhere near the same quality sadly.

adamiani
Snake On A Plane

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby adamiani » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Punchy wrote:

What I want is DC to stop sucking.

Part of the suck is the decimation of the midlist.

I think it would be nice to have Steph back. But I don't have a ton of faith that she won't be Duela'd, and that would be bad.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 388 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:21 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
Truth. They're not essential characters, they only really extra's that have gotten lost in the shuffle.

That's mostly because Batman is the only character they mainly care about( With Superman coming in second).

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Punchy wrote:

The characters at DC aren't the problem but the shmucks who run the company are the source of the complaints. However due to the fact that the higher ups at WB have sat on their laurels when it comes to the treatment DC gets they deserve more the blame.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:26 pm

doombug wrote:It very much was. It was incredibly new reader friendly, actually fun and did a lot of done in one stories that you didn't have to read 6 issues to get a whole decompressed story.

Heavily underrated book and the current Batgirl book is nowhere near the same quality sadly.

This here. Plus returning Barbara to the Batgirl role was a major character regression as she evolved quite nicely as Oracle. I mean if they wanted to make her walk again that would have been one thing but she long outgrew the Batgirl role and her successors honored her legacy for the most part.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 243 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:08 pm

doombug wrote:It very much was. It was incredibly new reader friendly, actually fun and did a lot of done in one stories that you didn't have to read 6 issues to get a whole decompressed story.

Same with Cassandra's. What the heck is up with Barbara getting two crossovers in three issues? That's nuts.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand