Monday, September 26, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Where keepin' it real goes wrong."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

DC Did Something Right Today: Stephanie Brown to Return

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:16 am

Punchy wrote:DC needs to realise that fans don't actually care about Stephanie Brown or any of the other missing characters, they just like to complain.


Truth. They're not essential characters, they only really extra's that have gotten lost in the shuffle.

DC won't exactly wither and die without Spoiler and Cassandra Cain. Or Henshaw.
User avatar

UnionJack

Mad Hatter

Postby UnionJack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:34 am

I thought that the Stephanie Brown Batgirl series was the best of all the Bat-Titles, pre-NU52. However, I think she is a character of the old DC Universe, along with Cassandra Cain, Wally West & Donna Troy. The New Teen Titans was one of my all-time favourite series and West & Troy were great characters in it. Can't really see any of these characters adding much to the 52, I think they just don't fit anymore.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:14 am

adamiani wrote:

Sorry, man. But DC hasn't earned a lot of trust lately, you know?


Then why do you want these characters back anyway?
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:57 am

What were all the crusading campaigns and waffle drives for exactly, if they weren't to draw attention to Stephanie Brown character and get her on the active list again rather than let it fade into obscurity? :?

You people are confused.
User avatar

SporkBot

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby SporkBot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:50 am

Punchy wrote:DC needs to realise that fans don't actually care about Stephanie Brown or any of the other missing characters, they just like to complain.


fieldy snuts wrote:Truth.


Falsehood. That's like stabbing someone with a paring knife and saying, "oh, he's not really hurting, he just likes to complain. Complain and bleed."

Unless there's some genuine, credible evidence to back up this idea, it seems more like SOMEONE "just likes to complain", but it's not fans of Steph, Cass, Wally or Donna.

They're not essential characters, they only really extra's that have gotten lost in the shuffle.

DC won't exactly wither and die without Spoiler and Cassandra Cain. Or Henshaw.


Depends on your definition of essential. Just because someone isn't the invulnerable demi-god that punches planets out of orbit, or can't force an honest confession from a hardened criminal with a glance, does not mean that someone is not essential to some capacity.

adamiani wrote:Sorry, man. But DC hasn't earned a lot of trust lately, you know?


Punchy wrote:Then why do you want these characters back anyway?


Because it's DC's failing, not the characters'. Especially when they try to kill them or turn them evil for no reason and it backfires. Dido, Harras, Lee, and even Johns should be learning that not every character has to have the same grim-dark badass (or jerkass) aspect.
User avatar

Lord Ice

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Lord Ice » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:58 am

If the fans of Doiby Dickles weren't old and senile by now, they'd probably constantly complain about DC not having him around too. :roll: :-D
User avatar

LoganRSA

FROGMAN

Postby LoganRSA » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:17 am

That reminds me, where's Bibbo these days? :smt017
User avatar

David Bird

rubber spoon

Postby David Bird » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:30 am

Brown and Cain have been a part of DC canon for a long time, since '92 and '99 respectively, and both of headlined successful comic runs. No one has ever claimed they were A listers, but they're hardly unimportant.
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:55 am

Victorian Squid wrote:What were all the crusading campaigns and waffle drives for exactly, if they weren't to draw attention to Stephanie Brown character and get her on the active list again rather than let it fade into obscurity? :?

You people are confused.


They're not confused; they're willfully ignorant.
User avatar

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:05 am

UnionJack wrote:I thought that the Stephanie Brown Batgirl series was the best of all the Bat-Titles, pre-NU52. However, I think she is a character of the old DC Universe, along with Cassandra Cain, Wally West & Donna Troy. The New Teen Titans was one of my all-time favourite series and West & Troy were great characters in it. Can't really see any of these characters adding much to the 52, I think they just don't fit anymore.

It very much was. It was incredibly new reader friendly, actually fun and did a lot of done in one stories that you didn't have to read 6 issues to get a whole decompressed story.

Heavily underrated book and the current Batgirl book is nowhere near the same quality sadly.

adamiani

Helter Skelter

Postby adamiani » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Punchy wrote:
Then why do you want these characters back anyway?



What I want is DC to stop sucking.

Part of the suck is the decimation of the midlist.

I think it would be nice to have Steph back. But I don't have a ton of faith that she won't be Duela'd, and that would be bad.
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:21 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
Truth. They're not essential characters, they only really extra's that have gotten lost in the shuffle.

DC won't exactly wither and die without Spoiler and Cassandra Cain. Or Henshaw.


That's mostly because Batman is the only character they mainly care about( With Superman coming in second).
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Punchy wrote:
Then why do you want these characters back anyway?


The characters at DC aren't the problem but the shmucks who run the company are the source of the complaints. However due to the fact that the higher ups at WB have sat on their laurels when it comes to the treatment DC gets they deserve more the blame.
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:26 pm

doombug wrote:It very much was. It was incredibly new reader friendly, actually fun and did a lot of done in one stories that you didn't have to read 6 issues to get a whole decompressed story.

Heavily underrated book and the current Batgirl book is nowhere near the same quality sadly.


This here. Plus returning Barbara to the Batgirl role was a major character regression as she evolved quite nicely as Oracle. I mean if they wanted to make her walk again that would have been one thing but she long outgrew the Batgirl role and her successors honored her legacy for the most part.
User avatar

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:08 pm

doombug wrote:It very much was. It was incredibly new reader friendly, actually fun and did a lot of done in one stories that you didn't have to read 6 issues to get a whole decompressed story.

Heavily underrated book and the current Batgirl book is nowhere near the same quality sadly.

Same with Cassandra's. What the heck is up with Barbara getting two crossovers in three issues? That's nuts.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 61 guests