Advertisement

Editorial Mandate: Enough with the Lobo Outrage

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 241 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:24 pm

Hell just got a bit colder, folks. We're sticking up for DC.

Last Friday, DC released a rather cringeworthy piece of concept art related to the upcoming Justice League of America #23.2: Lobo one shot, written by Marguerite Bennett with pencils by Ben Oliver.   How cringeworthy was it?  Well, Bennett took to Twitter (and briefly her tumblr) to explain that the concept art wasn't really representative of her and Oliver's book, and that Lobo would retain at least a good deal of his ugliness and musculature.  

So, we all had a few laughs about the latest PR snafu and moved on with our lives, right? Nope. Fanboys have gone berserk about Bennett's designs, along with her comments that she's going to add some gravity to the character.   Over on /r/comicbooks at Reddit, the subject has been towards the top of the page for the last five days, with various threads receiving hundreds of comments.  Some fans have even gone as far as to send Bennett hate mail of a sexual nature.   

I'm probably the last person that should be commenting on reactionary outrage over middling stuff, but am I the only person to find this whole thing...ridiculous?  All DC did wrong here is release four images of questionable relevancy to the comic.  In the grand scheme of DC screw-ups, that's nothing.  Yet, most major news sites are running multiple articles about the debacle, and some are even managing to imply that the creative team is feuding with DC over the concept art.  And that's not to mention the fan reaction.  Are we really resorting to death threats and calls for people's heads over Lobo?  And even worse, a Lobo comic that no one's even read yet?

I look at Lobo the way a lot of people probably look at the Outhouse: a parody that's not very funny most of the time.  I can't remember the last time a comic featuring Lobo actually made me laugh.  Comedy is hard stuff, and it often falls flat in comic books.  Look at the number of good Deadpool comics to mediocre Deadpool comics.  

Sure, Lobo was a fantastic over the top parody of the 90s, but the character's been a lot more toned down in recent years.  For instance, his appearances in 52, Green Lantern and R.E.B.E.L.S are far cries from the bombastic 90's solo series.  His post New 52 appearances have been even less stellar.  Lobo first popped up in Rob Liefeld's Deathstroke as a slaver who isn't even the last of his race.  He's also appeared in Stormwatch, again as a bland shadow of his glory days.  Neither of those series have drawn the same ire this one-shot has, and people have actually gotten to read those. 

So, if Bennett wants to pull the character out of the mediocre pit it's been dwelling in for the last few years and try something different, I'm all for it.  After all, that's what Keith Giffen and Alan Grant did when they turned Lobo from a supporting cast member in Omega Men to the Main Man everyone now claims to love (but judging from the sales of Deathstroke, R.E.B.E.L.S and Stormwatch, no one wants to read about).  

What really galls me is how the creative team, especially Bennett, has been treated during this whole affair.   I can't throw too many stones about knee-jerk overreactions, but at least the Outhouse tends to pass out pitchforks when comics touch more controversial subjects, like gender issues, needless gore, or treating its creators like crap.  It's not like DC has spoiled the ending of this comic for us to pass judgment on (and they have a tendency of doing that). Are fans really so obtuse that they don't think there will be some sort of twist in a comic book?

And the comics media hasn't been pristeen about the debacle either.  While we had the courtesy to not run a brief blog post by Bennett after she removed it to not give off an air of unprofessionalism or that she was feuding with DC, that didn't stop several other "more legitimate" blogs (read: not Bleeding Cool) from running the post, all the while ignoring Bennett's later comments on Twitter.  In their haste to capitalize on the juicy DC outrage gravy train, did they realize what a bunch of jackholes they were being to the creative team, who only stands to suffer from the exploitation of a hastily removed comment? 

If you want to take potshots at DC about Justice League #23.2, focus on their inability to print enough 3D covers to meet demand, the horrific concept art that doesn't line up with the interior or cover art or how they've bungled the PR related to the mess.  But don't take swings at the writer for an unpublished plotline.  And doubly don't be a sick fuck about it because the writer's a woman.  

It's crap like this that takes all the fun of being a snarky fan.  Hell, it's crap like this that caused the Outhouse to start our brand of deliberately sensational, snarky news articles, because this crappy fanboy culture is just as much of a problem as the industry we're all fans of.  

Written or Contributed by BlueStreak

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Food Eater lad
cheese

Liked in: 19 posts

Re: Editorial Mandate: Enough with the Lobo Outrage

Postby Food Eater lad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:17 pm

DC still makes comics? That's news to me.
"Diversity equals division"

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Mentioned in Blue's article above:

"Rocafort's drawing is a concept," Bennett said via Twitter. "Our Lobo is a LOT bigger, meaner, uglier and nastier."
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 67 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:20 pm

Well, people, don't be too mean, but by all means, DC has to know what a complete load of money crap this new Lobo is.
The Main Main is what he is - this is New Coke Lobo. New isn't always better, which is pretty much the theme for DC these days.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:27 pm

And hopefully Oliver's version more true to what folks like about Lobo. I like Rocafort but many of his characters do have similar qualities: angular features, slim builds, weird alien-looking accessories. But like Marguerite says it is just the original concept design.

Folks balked at the Earth 2 Trickster initially but turns out she looks a lot cooler when drawn by Jae Lee.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:06 am

I can't believe people even care about Lobo anymore.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 282 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:25 am

Punchy wrote:I can't believe people even care about Lobo anymore.

I think Blue's point (well, one of them), is that judging on sales numbers, they DON'T.

But a major problem in this industry is that people DO care about being outraged for outrage's sake.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:33 am

Lord Simian wrote:
I think Blue's point (well, one of them), is that judging on sales numbers, they DON'T.

But a major problem in this industry is that people DO care about being outraged for outrage's sake.

We are truly living in the "HOW DARE YOU." generation. :smt011

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 150 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:12 am

Sad but true. People think nothing of sending death threats and truly insulting accusations anymore.

While I think decisions like this are deserving of mockery and ridicule, there's a very clear and strong line between that and death threats and rape wishes.

Supersoldier Washout
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 213 posts
Location: I can't really say. I'm currently what they call "AWOL" from S.H.I.E.L.D.
Title: Will Fight for Beer

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:17 am

I've always found fans of Lobo, The Punisher and Spawn (and to some extent, Wolverine) to be a bit... simple. When asked why they liked the character, their reply would be "because he's bad ass!".

Now, one of their "bad ass" heroes might not look so bad ass; so they're attacking. And they probably resent Lobo being written by a women. (I know fans of the above who don't really hold women, wives included, in the highest regards.) So making a sexual threat isn't really out of their character.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:26 am

Log-Man wrote:Sad but true. People think nothing of sending death threats and truly insulting accusations anymore.

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:41 am

Well, hate mail about anything is way too far. That said, DC has only itself to blame. They've conditioned fans to expect the worst from them, mostly because that's mainly what they deliver.

And the way this was handled was stupid, in keeping with how DC likes to toy with fans and how it seems to enjoy it when fans hate what they do. Which kind of makes it seem like DC is run by particularly rabid fan boys, but that's another matter.

Basically, everything they did seemed almost calculated to kick up fan reaction like this, and truthfully it probably was. DC seems to like to stir up outrage as a marketing tool, and I doubt this was any different.

As far as Lobo himself is concerned, well, he can be fine, if done by someone who gets him. This take doesn't sound like it is, but then neither do most. It's actually been quite a while since he was worth anything at all.

But then the real problem isn't Lobo, but the Didiots in charge of DC. Until they all leave, (and yes, Geoff Johns, I'm also looking at you), nothing else at DC will matter.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:24 am

achilles wrote:Well, hate mail about anything is way too far. That said, DC has only itself to blame. They've conditioned fans to expect the worst from them, mostly because that's mainly what they deliver.

And the way this was handled was stupid, in keeping with how DC likes to toy with fans and how it seems to enjoy it when fans hate what they do. Which kind of makes it seem like DC is run by particularly rabid fan boys, but that's another matter.

Basically, everything they did seemed almost calculated to kick up fan reaction like this, and truthfully it probably was. DC seems to like to stir up outrage as a marketing tool, and I doubt this was any different.

As far as Lobo himself is concerned, well, he can be fine, if done by someone who gets him. This take doesn't sound like it is, but then neither do most. It's actually been quite a while since he was worth anything at all.

But then the real problem isn't Lobo, but the Didiots in charge of DC. Until they all leave, (and yes, Geoff Johns, I'm also looking at you), nothing else at DC will matter.

"Hate mail is wrong, but DC was asking for it. Look at the way DC is dressed, they obviously wanted it."

Really? This couldn't maybe be OUR fault for once? People's overreactions are on them, not on the big corporate boogeyman. You'd think a conservative like yourself would be into the idea of personal responsibility. :twisted:

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 150 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:51 am

Lord Simian wrote:

That's pretty damn accurate :lol:

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 315 posts