Advertisement

Editorial Mandate: DC's Villains Month Has a Diversity Problem (No, Not That Diversity, the Other Type)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

Editorial Mandate: DC's Villains Month Has a Diversity Problem (No, Not That Diversity, the Other Type)

Postby LOLtron » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Why 3D covers is only the second biggest worry Villains Month has to offer.

I’ve been thinking about DC’s Villains Month a lot lately.  If you’re a regular reader of the Outhouse, you know we’ve been pretty critical about the whole thing, for a variety of reasons.  However, there’s one problem with Villains Month that we haven’t covered, namely the lack of diversity in its comics.  No, I’m not talking about racial or gender diversity, but rather a lack of diversity in what comics DC will be publishing come September.

Despite the recent tone of the site, I was a fan of DC’s publishing strategy going into the New 52, one that at least attempted to push a diverse brand of comics into the direct market.  With Marvel and DC combining for over 70% of industry sales, I’ve always had this naïve idea that the Big Two should lead the charge on producing innovative concepts and content that expands the market rather than relying on smaller publishers to drag the industry forward.  Instead of producing bland rehashes of storylines over and over again, what if Marvel and DC actually tried to produce original, new content?   What if comics like Hawkeye were the norm instead of the exception? 

Of course, this isn’t the way the industry works.  DC and Marvel aren’t caretakers of the comic industry, they’re corporate machines designed to turn a profit.  Creators earn paychecks to feed themselves and their family in exchange for producing faceless, identityless superhero comics while whetting their creative appetite on creator-owned work that only sells a fraction of the copies of their mainstream counterparts.  This is why I was excited two summers ago that DC was trying its hand at fantasy and war and western comics, genres that largely hadn’t been touched by mainstream comic readers in decades. 

Unfortunately, that turned into one of DC’s (many) missteps when executing the New 52.  With the exception of All-Star Western, DC’s ‘alternative-genre’ comics were sales disasters and found themselves cancelled before they hit double digits.  One could make the argument that those books failed to sell because they lacked any sort of creative spark and seemed to be haphazardly thrown together (a common calling card for most of DC’s comics), but then again All-Star Western isn’t exactly lighting up the sales charts either, and it’s the definition of a quality comic book.

So what does all of this have to do with Villains Month?  Well, I think that we’re seeing the inevitable pendulum swinging the other way when it comes to the diversity of comics published by the Big Two.  Instead of publishing a Villains Month comic for each and every DC title, DC instead chose to multi-ship many of their best selling comics.  So instead of Dial H, we got a Justice League book,simply because Justice League is the stronger seller.  

But the disturbing thing (to me) is how much the pendulum has swung. This September, 66% (35 of 53) of DC’s September comics are being published under the Justice League, Batman or Superman franchises.  That’s right, two-thirds of DC’s books are being published as one of three brands, two of which have had a big blockbuster movie released in the last 12 months.

This isn’t a new trend amongst the Big Two.  When looking back at comic sales from 2008 to present day, there’s a noticeable trend of top sellers (defined here as a comic safely out of cancellation range by selling more than 30,000) coming from one of a select few families of books.  According to my calculations, 40% of DC and Marvel’s top-selling comics in May 2013 (defined here as comics selling over 30,000) come from the Batman, Avengers or X-Men franchises. By comparison, in 2008 Batman, X-Men and Avengers comics made up only 30% of comics selling over 30,000.  There’s actually a lovely trend chart that I made up that shows the percentage of Batman/X-Men/Avengers Big Two top sellers increasing steadily over the last five years, but I can’t get it to transfer into the article because I’m an idiot. 

I know, it’s shocking to believe that DC and Marvel are increasingly relying on their top characters to sell comics.  And it’s equally shocking to believe that the Big Two’s readers want that to happen.  Who would believe that the comic buying public is more invested in buying books featuring popular characters than anything else?  This is why Guardians of the Galaxy is subtitled ‘Tomorrow’s Avengers of the Future’.  This is why Vibe’s title is called Justice League of America’s Vibe (which has done nothing for the sales, by the way). This is why we’re getting Avengers AI, Mighty Avengers, Sinestro Corps and Justice League 3000 instead of comics featuring….well, characters outside of Marvel and DC’s signature franchises.  Brands sell, and if historical trends are any indication, this isn’t something that’ll go away. 

So, at the end of the day, I’m not upset about Villains Month because of the crappy 3D covers featuring photoshopped backgrounds that’ll cost me a dollar more to buy.  I’m upset that Villains Month is a cold, hard reminder about the reality of the Big Two, one that values brand advancement and sales over innovation.  (Cue a commenter saying ‘You don’t know that Batman and Batman Jr. #23.5: The Anti-Batman Who Bats, Man isn’t innovative!  How dare you judge a comic before it hits shelves! Next thing you’ll be telling me that Wolverine and the Wolverine-Men of Wolverineville is just a cheap money grab!’) 

I guess there is one bright side to all of this.  As Marvel and DC start to run out of ways to publish more Batman and Avengers books, we might actually see them reach back into those fantasy and war and western genres I was excited about.  In a few years, we might actually see Justice League Cowboys or Fantasy Avengers or Batman Fights for the US Army after they run out of other ways to exploit their top-selling franchises.

Written or Contributed by BlueStreak

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 514 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Re: Editorial Mandate: DC's Villains Month Has a Diversity P

Postby outsider » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:57 pm

It worked for Marvel in the 90s with X-Men & Spider-Man. :smt102
-

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 78 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:44 pm

You don’t know that Batman and Batman Jr. #23.5: The Anti-Batman Who Bats, Man isn’t innovative! How dare you judge a comic before it hits shelves! Next thing you’ll be telling me that Wolverine and the Wolverine-Men of Wolverineville is just a cheap money grab!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Let's admit it: Who wants to create "original" concepts for DC or Marvel when you could do it at Image and own your creations?

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 514 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:56 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:How dare you judge a comic before it hits shelves!
Speaking of... I saw this at Bleeding Cool the other day and about LMAO'd:
-

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 78 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:01 pm

outsider wrote:Speaking of... I saw this at Bleeding Cool the other day and about LMAO'd:

:lol:

Jim Martin
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 140 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Editorial Mandate: DC's Villains Month Has a Diversity Problem (No, Not That Diversity, the Other Type)

Postby Jim Martin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:05 pm

It even has spread to Frosted Mini-Wheats - they have fourteen versions of them now - including unfrosted Mini-Wheats - branded to look the same.

And you can't say DC tried that hard with war books, as they were $4 books against $3 books and it wasn't like they hired Ennis to write stuff. It was a half hearted stab at diversity - doomed to fail.

At least Marvel has the occasional Fury Max and Hawkeye book still, DC has the emaciated Vertigo line as their sole cool books.

With the advent of digital comics both companies have to try and get the casual reader to try books and the only way they can think of is to entitled them Batman, Superman, Justice League, Green Lantern, X-Men, Avengers or Spider-Man.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Yeah, my biggest problem with DC is that all of their books have pretty much the same tone.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 183 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:42 pm

I'm not surprised. This is the problem of DC. They don't know what to do with their bottom characters or mismanaged and they'll bleed their hot properties dry. It's funny that what just ten years ago DC was the one who was doing better than Marvel at juggling their minor tier characters. While Marvel was throwing the kitchen sink to see what could sell for their's.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:51 pm

It's cyclical. We'll see quirky, offbeat titles soon enough. But right now, the Big 2 is catering to the movie successes of Avengers and Batman.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 326 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:09 pm

Zechs wrote:I'm not surprised. This is the problem of DC. They don't know what to do with their bottom characters or mismanaged and they'll bleed their hot properties dry. It's funny that what just ten years ago DC was the one who was doing better than Marvel at juggling their minor tier characters. While Marvel was throwing the kitchen sink to see what could sell for their's.

They don't know what to do with their top characters either.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 280 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:16 pm

Interesting article here.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Until you start killing off major characters this is what will happen.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 183 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:57 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
They don't know what to do with their top characters either.

Well they did with Batman and Green Lantern, but.. the two big writers on both books have left or are about too. Both seem to have a "event" changing megaevent three times a year now since none of the books under the "main" books are as good and always keep needing a shot in the arm.

Superman? Has a revolving door of creative teams on all his books. Wonder Woman of all places is the only book with a clear concise path with the same team that started during the relaunch.

Then you look at the minor books with DC's trying to universe build with them by showing the back story of this new universe or showing the differences of this universe to the old one.

I'll say it before and I'll say it again. 52 fucking new worlds and DC can't use a single one of them to appease a fan base. Or go ultimate and just tell a new universe tale while keeping to the "old guard" universe. That way everyone gets their cake and eats it. But oh right.. DC pissed off all the creators who could make sense of this all. :smt017

They're so screwed and Harras will go two for two in bankrupting major comic companies.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 280 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:15 pm

Zechs wrote:
Well they did with Batman and Green Lantern, but.. the two big writers on both books have left or are about too. Both seem to have a "event" changing megaevent three times a year now since none of the books under the "main" books are as good and always keep needing a shot in the arm.

Superman? Has a revolving door of creative teams on all his books. Wonder Woman of all places is the only book with a clear concise path with the same team that started during the relaunch.

Then you look at the minor books with DC's trying to universe build with them by showing the back story of this new universe or showing the differences of this universe to the old one.

I'll say it before and I'll say it again. 52 fucking new worlds and DC can't use a single one of them to appease a fan base. Or go ultimate and just tell a new universe tale while keeping to the "old guard" universe. That way everyone gets their cake and eats it. But oh right.. DC pissed off all the creators who could make sense of this all. :smt017

They're so screwed and Harras will go two for two in bankrupting major comic companies.

This in spades.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand