Advertisement

Editorial Mandate: What to Do When a Publisher Blacklists You

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Editorial Mandate: What to Do When a Publisher Blacklist

Postby habitual » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:41 am

Herald wrote:
Whereas I'm sure that hypocrisy IS his methodology.

You know this is all your fault right?

Hab

Advertisement

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 329 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:42 am

SuperginraiX wrote:I'm mostly upset with their treatment of Zechs. They aren't his boss. Zechs doesn't work for them. But they scolded him like that was the situation. Or maybe like we was in their school.

That's not cool. And since Zechs was in the position of reporter at the time, that whole thing was basically an interview. I woulda asked more questions, Zechs. ;)

I have been involved in a number of interviews for the Outhouse and they have all been awesome. One of the great things about being connected to a comic book website is that you get to have actual conversations with some of your favorite creators. While the OH's satire is as ridiculous as you'd expect, we handle interviews in a professional and non-satirical manner. I remember one DnA interview that had to be approved by two different Marvel editors and some stuff (spoilers and maybe a comment that could have been taken the wrong way) was edited out. Happy to do so. We're not here to get creators in trouble and we basically just want to talk to them about our favorite books. Maybe so that other people will pick the book up because of how cool these creators are.

So it's probably rare that we'd even think of asking something like "how much do you hate the company that you're working for?" Though... now I wanna ask that question all the time. :D

I remember talking to Scott Snyder on one of the podcasts and telling him that I have almost always hated Batman books but he made me finally love one. Seriously, I just gush when I talk to creators. I'll fluff piece the hell out of those things. :D It helps that the above statement is 100% true.

So, I guess I GET that DC wouldn't want to give us interview opps if they thought we were going to satirize their talent or something but that has never been how we have handled actual interviews. I don't get how they pulled Zechs into the office and told him that he was a bad boy. I don't get how they thought that would be a good idea.

But, y'know, there's no such thing as bad press.

that's one of the best things about writing for the site. I remember about 3 years ago getting to actually talk on the phone with Chris Yost. I've deleted millions of emails in the last 3 years, but the emails back and forth with him and Todd Nauck are the only ones i've saved.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:44 am

SuperginraiX wrote:I'm mostly upset with their treatment of Zechs. They aren't his boss. Zechs doesn't work for them. But they scolded him like that was the situation. Or maybe like we was in their school.

That's not cool. And since Zechs was in the position of reporter at the time, that whole thing was basically an interview. I woulda asked more questions, Zechs. ;)

I have been involved in a number of interviews for the Outhouse and they have all been awesome. One of the great things about being connected to a comic book website is that you get to have actual conversations with some of your favorite creators. While the OH's satire is as ridiculous as you'd expect, we handle interviews in a professional and non-satirical manner. I remember one DnA interview that had to be approved by two different Marvel editors and some stuff (spoilers and maybe a comment that could have been taken the wrong way) was edited out. Happy to do so. We're not here to get creators in trouble and we basically just want to talk to them about our favorite books. Maybe so that other people will pick the book up because of how cool these creators are.

So it's probably rare that we'd even think of asking something like "how much do you hate the company that you're working for?" Though... now I wanna ask that question all the time. :D

I remember talking to Scott Snyder on one of the podcasts and telling him that I have almost always hated Batman books but he made me finally love one. Seriously, I just gush when I talk to creators. I'll fluff piece the hell out of those things. :D It helps that the above statement is 100% true.

So, I guess I GET that DC wouldn't want to give us interview opps if they thought we were going to satirize their talent or something but that has never been how we have handled actual interviews. I don't get how they pulled Zechs into the office and told him that he was a bad boy. I don't get how they thought that would be a good idea.

But, y'know, there's no such thing as bad press.

I could have, but I was a BAD boy. I didn't want to get another day of detention.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 207 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:45 am

habitual wrote:
You know this is all your fault right?

Hab

Well, I should hope so! I put a lot of effort into pissing off DiDio-era DC, and I demand results! :twisted:

CountD
Undead Member

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine

Postby CountD » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:46 am

xaraan wrote:As someone who used to work in a corporate environment, I have so say: Whichever exec made this decision should be canned. We don't lose anything really by this blacklist. We will keep covering DC news honestly, despite what they might want. The fact is, as crazy as it might sound to some people, they need us more than we need them because we get a pretty damn good bit of traffic and all those people are the ones DC is cutting off, not us. Our traffic will continue to grow, if some exec decided he doesn't want that traffic reading quality interviews with creators, then that genius needs to find a new line of work.

And really, what this tells everyone is that any site that you see DC working with, you know those sites aren't giving you honest commentary and reviews.

needed re-posting

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:49 am

GLX wrote:
Fuck that! I say we cause chaos in public and scream "Outhouse!". :P

Oh yeah. But we gotta do it in front of DC's offices.

The Bass

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby The Bass » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:52 am

Just want to pop my headup, I know I'm hardly the mods favourite guy around here, but I've never been so impressed with a comics website. Well done, I'm very proud to know you guys today

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 216 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:54 am

That's my problem too.

Essentially, the way I see it is that our site is a "for fans by fans" site. We do the poke-fun stuff, but we do the serious stuff. A lot of really great site content gets overlooked, like Royal's reviews, Super Reads (when he reads :P), Doomie's podcast, etc.

When you shit on guys like Zechs, especially in the manner they did, you essentially shit on the people who do all of this comic book journalism stuff. It's pretty well known that pretty much everyone doing what they do is doing it as a labor of love and their expenses are coming out of their own pocket. Even though Zechs got a press pass for the con, I'm pretty sure he paid his travel expenses out of his own pocket. And his intention in going was to provide honest coverage of the event. They denied this and as a result, they made themselves look almost dictatorial.

That's why, as a fan, I'm telling people to stop buying their product. When you consume something and don't like it, you have every right to bitch about every aspect of it. After all, your consumer dollars are contributing to the salaries of those involved in the creative enterprise, including the PR people. They want to deny fans access to their creators, then fans should deny them access to their dollars.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:00 pm

Keb wrote:That's why, as a fan, I'm telling people to stop buying their product. When you consume something and don't like it, you have every right to bitch about every aspect of it. After all, your consumer dollars are contributing to the salaries of those involved in the creative enterprise, including the PR people. They want to deny fans access to their creators, then fans should deny them access to their dollars.

This has "heist" written all over it. :P

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:00 pm

Ah DC always creating problems.

CountD
Undead Member

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine

Postby CountD » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:01 pm

the last comic con I went to was small BY DESIGN (no DC or other big booths) and it was just as good if not better than the big'uns. I still got great sketches, great comics....great insights from creators from the big 2 and indy alike. Maybe we're seeing more of a grassroots movement here and DC doesn't like what it sees.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:02 pm

For a PR guy, this was a pretty shitty move. I would had lied to Zechs and said that the outhouse didn't have enough traffic to warrant official interview time that needed to go to bigger sites. Now it's more fodder for "DC can't deal with the "press" " stories. I expect to see another one of those from someone like comicsalliance later this week.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:08 pm

The Bass wrote:Just want to pop my headup, I know I'm hardly the mods favourite guy around here, but I've never been so impressed with a comics website. Well done, I'm very proud to know you guys today

Nah we like you.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 549 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:11 pm

The Bass wrote:Just want to pop my headup, I know I'm hardly the mods favourite guy around here, but I've never been so impressed with a comics website. Well done, I'm very proud to know you guys today

You're one of MY favorites!
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:13 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:This has "heist" written all over it. :P

Outhouse 11

I will get typecast as the Bernie Mac character