Advertisement

Editorial Mandate: What to Do When a Publisher Blacklists You

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: Editorial Mandate: What to Do When a Publisher Blacklist

Postby bkthomson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:07 am

Punchy wrote:What's even weirder about this is that DC owns and publishes perhaps the most famous name in satire going after The Onion:

Mad Magazine!

Why are they allowed to parody and make fun of everything under the sun, but they themselves are exempt

$2.67 an issue is why. They get the money for making fun of people.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Advertisement

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 152 posts

Postby MrBlack » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:08 am

Zero wrote:
So did The Beat. This reminds me a bit about a post I read about the sorry state of video games journalism on the web somewhere. Was it Kieron Gillen?

While it's not quite the same, DC's actions are troubling. The big video game sites are beholden to the industry leaders for access. A site without access to press-only events or early demo copies of games is going to have a tough time getting noticed in the competitive environment of game journalism. The game companies absolutely exploit that relationship, which is why you rarely see marquis titles from the big companies getting low review scores, even if the game really isn't that good.

The comic industry isn't in quite the same situation. Most announcements are done via press release or at cons, which are easier for the average person to access. Unlike games, comics can be reviewed fairly quickly, and have a much shorter shelf life once they're released. Exclusive content is still important; indeed, it's generally what sets the big sites apart from your average fan site. That said, there are other ways to set yourself apart. Bleeding Cool is one example. We're another, and we've had much more success since the news initiative started than we did before.

Ultimately, this isn't going to hurt the site. As Blue wrote, we've never gotten much in the way of content from DC. The fact that they flatly refuse to deal with us now doesn't change that. What this does show, like the CBR incident from a couple of weeks back, is that DC is attempting to control the narrative about them in a way that is potentially chilling to the comic book press. It's certainly within their rights to deny access to whomever they want, but when you take your ball and go home because we made one too many jokes about Dan Didio acting like an evil supervillain, well, it makes you look like buffoons.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:10 am

Also I do not expect CBR or Rama to pick this story up since they have their cake and eating it too.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 152 posts

Postby MrBlack » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:11 am

bkthomson wrote:
Not surprised with this reacation. I'm sure he does not recall or remember email correspondence that has occurred between him and the OH. Plus, they man has a lot of names and places to remember so I cannot image OH is anywhere in his top list, which shows that this whole problem may not have come from the top but someone random person making his own executive decision.

Like the Executive Director of Publicity at DC Comcs perhaps?

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:20 am

Can we all just come out and say what we all know from the Outhouse chat and confirm it was Geoff Johns who belittled Zechs and acted like a little bitch? Or have we got to skirt around the issue abit longer?

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:23 am

SuperginraiX wrote:Not that I believe he's connected to this decision or that he could name our site in a line-up... but I'm pretty sure we've talked to him before. I'm also pretty sure he was connected to our New 52 promotion.

So, to be VERY nitpicky, he HAS heard of our site before. He just might have forgotten about us.

Which leads me into my next statement: He could be LYING, you know. Just because a reply seems "respectful" doesn't mean it's telling you the truth.

You guys could test the theory and request an interview with him. See what THAT reply turns out to be.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:26 am

Log-Man wrote:In his defense, Didio has already proven that he's up for using parody and satire himself as an attack with Fan Favorite Herald, so I'm not really sure if a blacklist is his methodology.

Whereas I'm sure that hypocrisy IS his methodology.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 733 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:27 am

Jubilee wrote:Can we all just come out and say what we all know from the Outhouse chat and confirm it was Geoff Johns who belittled Zechs and acted like a little bitch? Or have we got to skirt around the issue abit longer?

except we've already said who it was...

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 168 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:31 am

Jubilee wrote:Can we all just come out and say what we all know from the Outhouse chat and confirm it was Geoff Johns who belittled Zechs and acted like a little bitch? Or have we got to skirt around the issue abit longer?

Summary of said chat for those of us who missed it, please and thank you.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:32 am

Black_Orchid wrote:

Co-signed.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 281 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:33 am

Black_Orchid wrote:

No such chat took place, it's just Twigg trying to be funny, bless him.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:33 am

Geoff Johns would never had done that to me.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:34 am

I'm sure he would know the site if his memory was jogged. You'd be surprised how many creators I talk to at cons don't know the names of even the biggest comic sites, even though they've done interviews with them. Chances are, this is something being done through marketing and Dan is probably focused on other things in his work.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 126 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:35 am

I'm mostly upset with their treatment of Zechs. They aren't his boss. Zechs doesn't work for them. But they scolded him like that was the situation. Or maybe like we was in their school.

That's not cool. And since Zechs was in the position of reporter at the time, that whole thing was basically an interview. I woulda asked more questions, Zechs. ;)

I have been involved in a number of interviews for the Outhouse and they have all been awesome. One of the great things about being connected to a comic book website is that you get to have actual conversations with some of your favorite creators. While the OH's satire is as ridiculous as you'd expect, we handle interviews in a professional and non-satirical manner. I remember one DnA interview that had to be approved by two different Marvel editors and some stuff (spoilers and maybe a comment that could have been taken the wrong way) was edited out. Happy to do so. We're not here to get creators in trouble and we basically just want to talk to them about our favorite books. Maybe so that other people will pick the book up because of how cool these creators are.

So it's probably rare that we'd even think of asking something like "how much do you hate the company that you're working for?" Though... now I wanna ask that question all the time. :D

I remember talking to Scott Snyder on one of the podcasts and telling him that I have almost always hated Batman books but he made me finally love one. Seriously, I just gush when I talk to creators. I'll fluff piece the hell out of those things. :D It helps that the above statement is 100% true.

So, I guess I GET that DC wouldn't want to give us interview opps if they thought we were going to satirize their talent or something but that has never been how we have handled actual interviews. I don't get how they pulled Zechs into the office and told him that he was a bad boy. I don't get how they thought that would be a good idea.

But, y'know, there's no such thing as bad press.

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 53 posts

Postby Stalzer2002 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:40 am

Zechs wrote:Exactly what has been my motto since the new 52 in not buying their books. Though I will make an exception this week with Swamp Thing. If anything Charles Soule did a passionate job saying if anything just buy the two issue arc. But as you said before I am. Being at the Archaia booth yesterday opened my eyes to how there are many more great indy comics I've overlooked and now fully digging into.

Yeah, The Killer in particular is really awesome. There's so much great stuff out there. Do you want a great detective comic? Check out Stumptown or Dark Horse's translation of Blacksad. Do you want a truly all-star caliber western series? There's the Sixth Gun. Do you want an action packed series with classic characters and old school writing sensibilities? Mark Waid is writing Green Hornet and Larry Hama has returned to GI Joe. Even someone who just has to read DC can get his fix by cracking open his longboxes or tracking down an unread classic. Hell, even waiting six months to a year to read recent stuff would help. Get them second hand off ebay, find them in the discount bin or buy them directly off creators at shows. With a little patience, you can still read the books you want without financially supporting management.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand