Wednesday, September 28, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Brought to you by the lowest bidder!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

DC to Exploit Dollar Bill for Before Watchmen One-Shot

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

UnionJack

Mad Hatter

Postby UnionJack » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:04 am

The Bass wrote:I'm quite enjoying some of the Before Watchmen books (but I'd always be a Fuck Alan Moore kind of guy) so to see the sales falling is pretty sad, and to see an asshole like Rude get work from DC is even worse. One to avoid.


Why is Steve Rude "an asshole" exactly? Not being antagonistic, genuinely curious. He's one of my absolute favourite artists but I haven't heard much of/about him for some time. Gave up looking for Nexus after #100....

As for BW despite having some fantastic creators on it, the whole thing just hasn't appealed to me. The Watchmen story was told in 12 issues - no further embellishment required.

If only DC had seen fit to give a load of their classic Golden Age characters this treatment. I'd have been well up for that.
User avatar

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:37 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:I wonder if the handful of books that are still pretty successful (Batman, Justice League, Action Comics) could have been just as successful without the reboot. Because the sales of everything else are looking pretty bad.


The final issues of each pre-reboot:

Batman #713: 51,760
JLA #59: 43,545
Action Comics #904: 39,323

By comparison, New 52:

Batman #12: 125,249
JL #12: 120,796
Action Comics #12: 71,203

Not sure if Scott Snyder or Geoff Johns would do the same numbers without the 52 reboot. Those are huge jumps... but I think you could easily make a case for Action Comics doing similarly with Morrison without the reboot.
User avatar

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:39 am

For comparison's sake... the last issue of Snyder's Detective run sold 39,729.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:49 am

Chris wrote:For comparison's sake... the last issue of Snyder's Detective run sold 39,729.


This Death Of The Family thing of his is HUGE.
User avatar

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:56 am

That just started with #13. It's why I didn't count the #0 issue or that, since those are both even higher.

Snyder's Batman (New 52) has averaged 123,324 copies per month.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:02 am

Chris wrote:That just started with #13. It's why I didn't count the #0 issue or that, since those are both even higher.

Snyder's Batman (New 52) has averaged 123,324 copies per month.


Can't wait to see what kind of boost he just gave Batgirl and Catwoman. Newsstand copies of Catwoman #13 (the kind you can probably still find at your local bookstore) are going for over $25 bucks.
User avatar

UnionJack

Mad Hatter

Postby UnionJack » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:21 am

Ugh. Absolutely determined not to get sucked into anymore 'events'. I buy most of the Bat-Books (dropped Red Hood early on and recently Batgirl, Batwing & Batwoman) & refuse to buy 'extras' to get the story. After 8 years of Marvel 'events' I'm evented-out.
Did resolve that I'd drop any comics that started using the event gimmick but I'm inherently weak when it comes to comics.
I was even thinking of giving the dreadful Green Arrow another chance after dropping it at #3......
User avatar

LoganRSA

FROGMAN

Postby LoganRSA » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:24 am

This book actually appeared in my dream last night. It was a comedy. Very odd.

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:59 pm

UnionJack wrote:
Why is Steve Rude "an asshole" exactly? Not being antagonistic, genuinely curious. He's one of my absolute favourite artists but I haven't heard much of/about him for some time. Gave up looking for Nexus after #100....



This, for starters
https://www.facebook.com/notes/steve-ru ... 5812861294

Not to mention his horrific attitude to people at conventions, which I've heard first hand.
User avatar

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Chris wrote:
The final issues of each pre-reboot:

Batman #713: 51,760
JLA #59: 43,545
Action Comics #904: 39,323

By comparison, New 52:

Batman #12: 125,249
JL #12: 120,796
Action Comics #12: 71,203

Not sure if Scott Snyder or Geoff Johns would do the same numbers without the 52 reboot. Those are huge jumps... but I think you could easily make a case for Action Comics doing similarly with Morrison without the reboot.


You have to be joking. Did you see the C-list morts on the JLA before they killed it off? Morrison also got a new start with the big guns, without a reboot, and he hit a home run. Lee and Johns on a JLA with the original 7 or even Cyborg would have still be a box office hit.
The real story of how quickly the other books have gone down - not unexpected either.

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:22 pm

Log-Man wrote:This book actually appeared in my dream last night. It was a comedy. Very odd.


I had a extraordinarily vivid dream about a Hawkeye movie where Alan Rickman was the villain.
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:07 pm

The Bass wrote:
This, for starters
https://www.facebook.com/notes/steve-ru ... 5812861294

Not to mention his horrific attitude to people at conventions, which I've heard first hand.


In all fairness, the dude has quite a few mental issues.

User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:43 pm

The Bass wrote:
I had a extraordinarily vivid dream about a Hawkeye movie where Alan Rickman was the villain.


Why do they always put him as the villain?

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Because he's ALAN RICKMAN

Also, he wasn't the villain in Galaxy Quest. Or the Harry Potters
User avatar

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:42 pm

The Bass wrote:Because he's ALAN RICKMAN

Also, he wasn't the villain in Galaxy Quest. Or the Harry Potters

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck] and 83 guests