Advertisement

Fanboy Rampage: Rich Johnston vs. Dan Slott

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 277 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Re: Fanboy Rampage: Rich Johnston vs. Dan Slott

Postby nietoperz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:49 am

holtom2000 wrote:Green team? That where Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Spectre, Martian Manhunter, Fire, and other green heroes meet?

No.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:21 am

As a result of my reading of that article, I hate everyone here and all those people.

Also, what the fuck is Green Team?

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 122 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Re: RE: Fanboy Rampage: Rich Johnston vs. Dan Slott

Postby SuperginraiX » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:35 am

FBtron wrote:I know this is kind of the "Outhousers- house style" but I think you should have added at least a few of Slott's follow up tweets instead of making it appear as if Rich was the only one constantly repeating the same 4-5 arguments.

One has to wonder what beef the Outhousers haver with Johnston and BC, given the tenor of recent articles.

I honestly think Rich comes off as the clear winner given all the Twitter messages. He kept his argument consistent and had to keep repeating it because... people are idiots.

I mean "oh no, he posted something newsworthy before us poor Americans could read it because comics come out in Great Britain first! Wah!" Really? That's the crux of this? You can't talk about comics until California gets their comics? Because I know places in my state that get comics at 11am and others that get them at 5pm. Johnston at least has the decency to put huge spoiler warning on his articles and it's INSANE to blame him for other sites that read HIS site (or maybe live in Great Britain and have already read the actual issue) and post them without warnings. That's a stretch of a condemnation and I don't think it's a route we should be taking. Because then we're all to blame. For everything. Ever.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 598 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:48 am

He put spoiler tags up, argument over.

What kind of industry is this where writers actively whine about spoilers constantly? Maybe I've missed it but I've never seen the writers from Breaking Bad or Walking Dead come out and chastise people for posting spoilers after the new episodes air.

It's the world we live in now, crying about it on twitter just makes you look like an utter buffoon.

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 167 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:31 pm

thefourthman wrote:As a result of my reading of that article, I hate everyone here and all those people.

Also, what the fuck is Green Team?

A DC book that has since been cancelled.

You know I saw the headline for this story and my reaction was, "Must be a day that ends in Y." Slott sure is a touchy one. I miss the ol' creater/reader piss fights.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1157 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: RE: Fanboy Rampage: Rich Johnston vs. Dan Slott

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:00 pm

FBtron wrote:I know this is kind of the "Outhousers- house style" but I think you should have added at least a few of Slott's follow up tweets instead of making it appear as if Rich was the only one constantly repeating the same 4-5 arguments.

One has to wonder what beef the Outhousers haver with Johnston and BC, given the tenor of recent articles.

The embedded tweets show the tweet its responding too, which include Dan's tweets. Unless you have JavaScript disabled or something, in which case you don't deserve to be on the internet. We have nothing at all against BC or our Uncle Rich. We've always skewered them, and as far as I know they enjoy it. /breakingthefourthwall'd

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Now question is the the longest dispute for comics or is the record still the nine hour debate Kurt Busiek and MoTa had over at old Rama? It feels like Slott and Johnston are the new champs. They are aren't they?

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Jude Terrorr
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 262 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Fanboy Rampage: Rich Johnston vs. Dan Slott

Postby Jude Terrorr » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Article updated, Walt.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:38 pm

I just don't understand the uproar. I read bats in trade so ignore Batman threads and articles. If I have something going on and have to miss walking dead, I stay offline until I see it. It's not that hard. It just takes self control, and not even a lot of it. Some people should just stay off the internet.

Furthermore, how in the world is it Rich's problem how others use his articles?

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1190 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Has anyone thought to check in on how Rich's mom is doing?
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:08 pm

Again, I'm going to agree with Rich here.

1. He spoiler tagged his stuff - argument should be over right there. (Especially considering when Marvel leaks their stuff to big name press they don't bother avoiding spoilers) He is not responsible for what others do with the news either.

2. The whole "Spoilers aren't news" thing is stupid. This is entertainment news, not coverage of the war in Syria. Major spoilers can very much be news and if it wasn't, no one would click the story and it wouldn't be worth writing. (And again, we see the hypocritical behavior of it suddenly being news when the publisher decides it is and gives it to USA Today or whatever site).

3. This is about control. The big two don't like all these websites they have to worry about. That's why they've worked on growing their own sites and blogs or trying their best to control the sites they can. (Obviously didn't work with us for DC) Whoever tweeted the comment about getting the ok to publish a story from the pub is a fucking idiot. Chances are they are mad b/c they gave a story to one of the sites they have a modicum of control over like CBR and told them to hold it until X time and then Rich beat them to it. Well, fuck you for playing favorites - that's what you get.

4. It's fucking comics. Was it news that PP was going to return as spidey? Fucking shocking there. Everything that happens in comics will either revert to how it used to be and if changing, be a temporary change. There is a reason more people care about spoiling stuff like Game of Thrones than they do comic books - because the things that happen in the story actually matter.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:08 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Hard to agree with Dan as he works at Marvel.

I really hope this is a joke post because otherwise you just proved at least 2 different posters right about your DC bias. :lol:

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:18 pm

doombug wrote:I really hope this is a joke post because otherwise you just proved at least 2 different posters right about your DC bias. :lol:

Doesn't Marvel spoil there big events at least once a year? Two events that immediately pop to mind were spoiling Spidey revealing his identity in Civil War and the death of Captain America.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1157 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:22 pm

syxxpakk wrote:
Doesn't Marvel spoil there big events at least once a year? Two events that immediately pop to mind were spoiling Spidey revealing his identity in Civil War and the death of Captain America.

They do. I posted links in the original article to four times they did it, but they do it all the time. DC also does:

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... event.html

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... early.html

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... tweet.html

The pubs will do anything for mainstream attention.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Hence, my comment: hard to take Dan seriously as he works at Marvel. He's complaining about spoilers from BC, but the company he works for does it all the time.

I'm still trying to figure out doombug's ignorant comment, I guess :smt102

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand