Advertisement

Fanboy Rampage: Rich Johnston vs. Dan Slott

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Supersoldier Washout
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 183 posts
Location: I can't really say. I'm currently what they call "AWOL" from S.H.I.E.L.D.
Title: Will Fight for Beer

Re: Fanboy Rampage: Rich Johnston vs. Dan Slott

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:34 pm

About half way through the tweets, I almost called it quits. Made it about 3 quarters of the way through.

Can't believe they exerted more energy in this ridiculous argument.

Advertisement

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 135 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Rich gives an over the top amount of spoiler warnings, headed up with a big red stop sign. Slott loses this in my opinion.

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 193 posts

Postby TimH » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:25 pm

Supersoldier Washout wrote:Can't believe they exerted more energy in this ridiculous argument.

This.

Dan can be annoyed if he wants to. And, Rich can buy a comic and post a page online under the review clause if he wants to.

Criminal however is Rich's crazy self-defense. :lol: "Can I help it if other people re-post my leak?"

Well, yeah, you can. Don't post the leak. Otherwise, just accept you annoyed some people and let it go.

I won't be cynical and assume the argument was stretched to stir more controversy and thus more BC advertising... :roll:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:56 pm

TimH wrote:
This.

Dan can be annoyed if he wants to. And, Rich can buy a comic and post a page online under the review clause if he wants to.

Criminal however is Rich's crazy self-defense. :lol: "Can I help it if other people re-post my leak?"

Well, yeah, you can. Don't post the leak. Otherwise, just accept you annoyed some people and let it go.

I won't be cynical and assume the argument was stretched to stir more controversy and thus more BC advertising... :roll:

If the book is available, it's not a leak. There is no prerelease issue here.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 200 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:03 pm

thefourthman wrote:If the book is available, it's not a leak. There is no prerelease issue here.

Technically according to Diamonds regulations they're not supposed to sell books until our Thursday aka the US Wednesday just because they have the boxes, but it's kind of a hard policy to enforce from the other side of the world :lol:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:10 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
Technically according to Diamonds regulations they're not supposed to sell books just because they have the boxes, but it's kind of a hard policy to enforce from the other side of the world :lol:

As rich repeatedly states, it was already up on comixology and as I recall, England gets them on Tuesday, no policy is being broken. There is no leak, its a spoiler and a well marked one. Anyone who read it on BC knew what they were getting into.
As far as being responsible for what other people do with his content on the internet... That is stupid. Every site, including this one has regulations about copyrighted images and most of us haven stolen one for our avatar. Hell even I have. I am breaking the rules, but no one is doing anything about it. How the hell is rich supposed to police that? It's a weak argument made by someone who has already lost and never had a leg to stand on to begin with.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 pm

thefourthman wrote:As rich repeatedly states, it was already up on comixology and as I recall, England gets them on Tuesday, no policy is being broken. There is no leak, its a spoiler and a well marked one. Anyone who read it on BC knew what they were getting into.
As far as being responsible for what other people do with his content on the internet... That is stupid. Every site, including this one has regulations about copyrighted images and most of us haven stolen one for our avatar. Hell even I have. I am breaking the rules, but no one is doing anything about it. How the hell is rich supposed to police that? It's a weak argument made by someone who has already lost and never had a leg to stand on to begin with.

Technically I get them on your Tuesday as well. Just because a store gets a box of stuff to sell doesn't mean they can break an embargo and sell it early...it's how video games have their street date broken except in those cases they can be traced easily. Comics....not at all.

And it doesn't go up on Comixology for about 8 or so hours after Rich posts his leaks if the few spoilers he's posted I've seen are anything to go by.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:21 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
Technically I get them on your Tuesday as well. Just because a store gets a box of stuff to sell doesn't mean they can break an embargo and sell it early...it's how video games have their street date broken except in those cases they can be traced easily. Comics....not at all.

And it doesn't go up on Comixology for about 8 or so hours after Rich posts his leaks if the few spoilers he's posted I've seen are anything to go by.

He says that it had been up on comixology for ten hours before the article was posted.
And actually diamond is Very strick about that stuff. They will take away early shipping without even blinking if they think you are breaking the sale date rules.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:31 pm

thefourthman wrote:He says that it had been up on comixology for ten hours before the article was posted.
And actually diamond is Very strick about that stuff. They will take away early shipping without even blinking if they think you are breaking the sale date rules.

Doable in the US since they're a US-based company. How the hell will they know if a UK store opened their box early and gave Rich his stuff? And Rich's comixology argument doesn't add up given I also have the app on my phone and that doesn't gel with what I see is for sale..

Richard Johnston
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 141 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Fanboy Rampage: Rich Johnston vs. Dan Slott

Postby Richard Johnston » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:36 am

UK stores sell new comics on Wednesdays, just as US stores do. That's Diamond policy. It's just that we get Wednesday a few hours earlier. And ComiXology usually puts up new books hours before UK stores open.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:49 am

fieldy snuts wrote:
Doable in the US since they're a US-based company. How the hell will they know if a UK store opened their box early and gave Rich his stuff? And Rich's comixology argument doesn't add up given I also have the app on my phone and that doesn't gel with what I see is for sale..

The books are available on the website at 1201, you have to search for them. The new releases link and list shows up sometime in the mid morning.

Pizza Dog
cheese

Liked in: 309 posts
Title: Awesomesauce
Formerly: Coach_Carebear

Postby Pizza Dog » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:09 pm

I watch a lot of USA TV Shows. Obv they are shown in America before coming here [England]

If I see an article about any of these TV Shows and they say *SPOILER*, I have the sense not to click on them.

SIMPLES!!

If you haven't seen/read it yet... don't read things signposted as SPOILERS!!

Rich says he puts SPOILER ALERTS on his articles. Why are people then clicking on them and moaning... about spoilers??

If someone takes these spoilers and posts them on other sites, Rich is not responsible for that. SIMPLE AS!! 8)

If someone spoilt one of my TV Shows for me... I wouldn't go "OY!! Where did you get that info from? I am going to have a go at them"... I would complain at THAT person who has just spoilt it for me. :smt013 :smt013
Events been to:

SFX Weekender 3 - Sci-Fi Weekender 4 & 5 - Kapow! '12 - Leeds Comic Con '11, '12 & '13 - Skottie Young Signing Tour '13 - Newcastle Film and Comic Con '14 - London Film and Comic Con '14

Events going to:

Leeds Comic Con '14 - Sci-Fi Weekender 6 - Newcastle Film & Comic Con '15 - Nine Worlds '15
_________

:-D :-D ** I visit America in 79-Days ** :-D :-D

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:01 pm

Pizza Dog wrote:I watch a lot of USA TV Shows. Obv they are shown in America before coming here [England]

If I see an article about any of these TV Shows and they say *SPOILER*, I have the sense not to click on them.

SIMPLES!!

If you haven't seen/read it yet... don't read things signposted as SPOILERS!!

Rich says he puts SPOILER ALERTS on his articles. Why are people then clicking on them and moaning... about spoilers??

If someone takes these spoilers and posts them on other sites, Rich is not responsible for that. SIMPLE AS!! 8)

If someone spoilt one of my TV Shows for me... I wouldn't go "OY!! Where did you get that info from? I am going to have a go at them"... I would complain at THAT person who has just spoilt it for me. :smt013 :smt013

If I had to guess they largely are not doing that, but Dan Slott is creating an issue where there really isn't one.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 229 posts

Postby GHERU » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Pizza Dog wrote:

Slott's argument is that it is Rich's fault if his readers post the spoilers somewhere else without the spoiler warning
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Pizza Dog
cheese

Liked in: 309 posts
Title: Awesomesauce
Formerly: Coach_Carebear

Postby Pizza Dog » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:36 pm

GHERU wrote:Slott's argument is that it is Rich's fault if his readers post the spoilers somewhere else without the spoiler warning

Yep. That's why I said the sentence after this :-D

This bit was just added in for my own rant. 8)
Events been to:

SFX Weekender 3 - Sci-Fi Weekender 4 & 5 - Kapow! '12 - Leeds Comic Con '11, '12 & '13 - Skottie Young Signing Tour '13 - Newcastle Film and Comic Con '14 - London Film and Comic Con '14

Events going to:

Leeds Comic Con '14 - Sci-Fi Weekender 6 - Newcastle Film & Comic Con '15 - Nine Worlds '15
_________

:-D :-D ** I visit America in 79-Days ** :-D :-D

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand