Advertisement

Fanboys Outraged at Mangled My Little Pony Continuity

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 171 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:00 am

Some fans of the popular My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comic book are livid over comments writer Katie Cook made in a recent interview.

Source: CBR

Katie Cook did an interview with ComicBookResources yesterday, and it must have slipped past their filters because it was actually an interesting read. But while Katie intended merely to promote the upcoming My Little Pony: Rarity one-shot, in stores in April as the third in issue in the My Little Pony Micro-Series, she inadvertently set of a nerd-fueled shitstorm of epic proportions when she made the following flippant remarks about My Little Pony continuity, or "pontinuity."

Q: Does "Rarity" tie-in to the ongoing IDW series you also write, "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic?"

A: I think of the "Micro-Series" as episodes of the TV show. They are slice-of-life stories that really explore the character in a way you can't when you have the entire Mane Six hanging around.

I don't think the stories need to really tie-in to the ongoing, bigger stories. They're more for fun, light-hearted slices of awesome.

"I'm absolutely outraged!" complained Barry K. Lewis, a forty-six year old investment banker from Long Island, NY who posts on pony message boards under the handle Glittertailz68. "Is she saying that the animated series continuity is loose? Does the main comic series take place in the same Universe? Does the Micro-Series represent a third continuity, or worse, multiple continuities, each only slightly different from the others? I can't wrap my mind around this."

Some fans are already calling for IDW to produce a Crisis on Infinite Earths style event comic to reconcile the convoluted Ponyverse before it's too late. "New and casual readers aren't going to be able to penetrate the confusion," warned Cecil Greene, a retired law enforcement officer in Fort Worth, TX who frequents the online Pony hub Equestria Daily under the pseudonym Honeysuckle. "Pony fans lead busy lives. They have jobs, families, responsibilities... They don't have time to decipher cryptic rules about alternate realities and the spacetime continuum. It's a massive screwing of the pooch."

Greene went on to clarify that his comments were in no way meant as an insult to "Poochies," the online subculture of adult male fans of the popular Nickelodeon cartoon Tuff Puppy, in which iCarly star Jerry Trainor plays a zany, wisecracking secret agent dog. "Bronies got no problems with the Poochies," Greene explained, though he admitted that he found their obsession "a little strange."

Despite the controversy, Cook's comments may actually benefit the franchise in some ways. It's often difficult to be taken seriously in the comic book industry if you don't have overzealous fanmen ruthlessly criticizing your handling of a corporate property. IDW's mistakes, which include nixing Cook's original Rarity pitch due to a conflict with the television show, might gain the franchise some legitimacy. 

"The MLPnU sucks! Bring back the old MLPU!" demanded Curtis Lowell, a DC Comics fan who only started reading IDW's My Little Pony series after learning of the controversy, which he touts as "an exciting opportunity to expand his online bitching into new territories."

"Fire... wait, who's in charge of IDW?" he asked.

Chris Ryall.

"Fire Chris Ryall!" Lowell insisted. "That incompetent bastard is destroying IDW!"

The Outhouse will keep you updated on all the My Little Pony news, including any future talent walkouts in response to IDW's editorial bungling. Remember, you heard it here before Bleeding Cool.

Read Outhouse resident brony GHERU's interview with Katie Cook from Cincinnati Comic Expo here.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 47 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Fanboys Outraged at Mangled My Little Pony Continuity

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:04 am

They raped my Bronyhood!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 242 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:47 am

I hear now they're also bitching about the color of Pony-shorts :groucho:
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:02 am

Meh, just blame it all on a Yellow Fear Parasprite.
Or Supercolt Prime, tromping on the walls of reality. :P

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand