Advertisement

Fantastic Four #10 (1776 though, that could be fun Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Fantastic Four #10 (1776 though, that could be fun Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:06 pm

The FF continue their journey throughout time and space, and in this instance, it’s time, as they travel back to 1776 and meet the American Founding Fathers.

But this issue was about more than just the cool concept of superheroes meeting Thomas Jefferson and there being a Skrull Ben Franklin, no, this issue brought a lot of what Matt Fraction has been building to a head, as the truth about the mysterious sickness affecting the team comes out. This was a great scene, especially Johnny Storm’s reaction. He was being treated like a kid and being made to sit with them and not finding out. This was strong character stuff for Johnny, who is often written like he’s still a dumb teenager. I liked that he called back to his ‘death’ in Hickman’s run. I also liked how these revelations effected Val, who is seriously pissed off. I like it when the Fantastic Four are a happy family, but it’s also great when there’s a bit of discord.

The 1776 stuff was a lot of fun, it’s always cool to see real-life historical figures show up in comics, and I really liked how Fraction didn’t shy away from showing how complicated Thomas Jefferson was as a person. He didn’t white-wash the hypocrisy. Reed’s speech about how people want pure heroes but the real-world doesn’t work out like that was very well-done, and very telling about how important shades of grey characters are. I know a lot of people think Reed Richards is a dick, but, like Jefferson, there’s more to it.

I of course loved seeing The Skrulls again, they are classic FF villains and have really been left off the table ever since Secret Invasion, so it was great to see them again, especially since it looks like they are the major villains of this storyline. One thing I’m noticing in this run is the importance of the name ‘Franklin’. Benjamin Franklin was being impersonated by a Skrull in this issue, and the FF’s original plan was to visit Dr. Rosalind Franklin, and of course, Reed and Sue’s son is called Franklin. What does it all mean?

Mark Bagley’s artwork was his usual consistent excellence, I particularly liked the way he drew Sue’s malfunctioning powers, very creepy. This was probably the best issue of Fraction’s run so far, it tied everything together and set up some very exciting new character developments. Plus, Skrull Ben Franklin, you have to love it.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Fantastic Four #10 (1776 though, that could be fun Spoil

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Yeah, the Thomas Jefferson stuff was really well done. Having said that, I can't say I was a big fan of this issue. All of the individual parts were good, most of which you've mentioned, but I came away from reading it with a sense that something was missing. I'm not sure what, but there was just something. I felt a little dissatisfied with the read because of this.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 388 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:39 am

As cliched as it's become, I'll be glad when the FF stop ripping off Doctor Who and get back to being the Fantastic Four.

As for this issue - what great luck it was that the FF showed up exactly when they did - otherwise the Skrulls would have won 237 years ago. :roll:
Instead of risking damage to the time space continuum by interacting with the Phily citizens in 1776 - why didn't Reed just go back and grab some from the Skrull cows from FF #2? Instead he makes more Skrull cows :roll: I guess Reed forgot his own folly from the first time he did this (FF Annual #17)

Johnny's reaction to being at the 'kid's table' was merited - but it was directed at the wrong person. It should be posed at the writer. I'll never understand why Waid dumbed Johnny down during his run (and why subsequent writers continue the trend).

Overall, this was a poor issue imo. It's saving grace being that any issue that exposes Val for the turd of a character she is is A-okay in my book. :-D

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 119 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:13 pm

I didn't care for this issue. I think I'm going to drop this book. I'll likely drop FF also because it feels like the two titles will be tying into each other more fairly soon.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand