Advertisement

Fantastic Four #605.1 (I lost control Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: Shitlord

Fantastic Four #605.1 (I lost control Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun May 20, 2012 9:45 am

I’m not sure how well this issue works as a ‘Point One’ jumping-on issue, but it was a very strong story, and a very enjoyable look at an alternate reality Fantastic Four, that crucially did tie-in with the main story. This issue was basically ‘What if Hitler won WW2 and the Fantastic Four were Nazis?’ but it worked very well, it was very interesting seeing this alternate world, and while I get annoyed at the whole ‘Reed Richards is evil’ thing, it made sense here, because, well, he’s a Nazi. The bit where he removed Victor Von Doom’s brain was just chilling. I also liked the fact they kept in Ben Grimm’s Judaism, and that it was a major plot point. And of course, in the tradition of all the best ‘What Ifs’, all the heroes are killed and the world is destroyed, standard. Mike Choi’s art was very good, I’ve enjoyed his recent covers, so it was cool to see him draw an interior, he’s a great artist. So yeah, another solid issue of Fantastic Four, I just hope it didn’t completely freak out any hypothetical new readers.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Fantastic Four #605.1 (I lost control Spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 20, 2012 9:48 am

I didn't get the .1 of it at all.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 369 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun May 20, 2012 10:06 am

This issue was absolutely great (when Ellis did it in Planetary).

Why does Hickman despise Reed so much? From the start it was all about Reed(s) taking over everything, to him being a dick to his family and friends, on through to this issue where Reed is a sadistic murdering asshole who destroys everything.

That scene in a recent issue where Reed joins Ben on the couch to watch TV is imo the highlight of his entire run because it's the only time he's written Reed where it feels like Reed.

This 'jumping on' issue is anything but.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun May 20, 2012 10:08 am

Amoebas wrote:This issue was absolutely great (when Ellis did it in Planetary).

Why does Hickman despise Reed so much? From the start it was all about Reed(s) taking over everything, to him being a dick to his family and friends, on through to this issue where Reed is a sadistic murdering asshole who destroys everything.

That scene in a recent issue where Reed joins Ben on the couch to watch TV is imo the highlight of his entire run because it's the only time he's written Reed where it feels like Reed.

This 'jumping on' issue is anything but.

He's also using Reed as the villain in his run on Ultimates.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sun May 20, 2012 10:28 am

I think Reed being a villain in most alternate timelines is awesome. He seems like someone who would put facts in front of human emotion and this is a trait shown in many villains. I love how he's a step away from mad scientist taking over the world for its own good.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun May 20, 2012 11:03 am

Hickman has said that this was the least Point One-y issue he could imagine, although you could argue that it sets up the last few years of stories pretty well so it leads into the trades very nicely. Still, it was an enjoyable read and provides a good bookend for everything that went before.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand