Advertisement

Fantastic Four #2 Here we go again (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Fantastic Four #2 Here we go again (Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:32 am

Fantastic Four #2
Robinson/Kirk/Kesel

The FF respond to the explosion at the end of issue #1 which released millions of monster buggy creatures that only seem to exist to destroy New York and kill people. The FF take the fight to the streets and after some research, Reed finds a solution that ends the bug fight but it comes with a cost.

The Good
It's great to see the FF fighting like a team again. I think Robinson has remembered that it's a team book and not the Reed Richards book it's pretty much been for the last many years.
An invasion in New York AND other heroes respond! Nice to see the 'shared' universe working the way it should.
H.E.R.B.I.E.!
Never having been a Kirk fan, he continues to impress me (or it just may be Kesel inking) but... (continued in 'The Bad')

The Bad
Kirk's drawing of Sue's body in bed makes her look 8 years old - eeewwwwhhh, creepy.
The new red costumes still haven't won me over.
The FF show off their new Fantsticar with two pages, which is actually kind of neat but do you really want to do that when people are dying just below them?
And aren't the hangers near the roof of the Baxter Building? Weren't the top 3 floors destroyed? Reed can't build a door that stays shut but gawddam! He sure makes one tough aerocar!
The bugs are everywhere, attacking everything, yet Reed (and Wasp), high above the ground in plain sight, are utterly unscathed. How convenient.

The Ugly
Ugh - looks like this is another bloody Heroes Reborn Earth story. Why can't they let that thing just die and go away forever?
Sue continues to actually fly on a force field disc.
Johnny loses his powers. Ugh. Again? and... BORING!
And you know I'm bring this one up - the sheer stupidity of the editor trying to call her Sue Storm despite every mention of her within the actual story calling her by her proper Richards name of the last 50 years!

This 'destruction' of the FF doesn't interest me at all. Why can't we just have Fantastic Four adventures? Why does every new FF have to be some monumental milestone that will never last!
I love the FF. They are what brought me into this addictive habit decades ago. I've been waiting for them to return to glory for too long. So far with this new series - it ain't happening anytime soon.

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 166 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Re: Fantastic Four #2 Here we go again (Spoilers)

Postby nietoperz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:14 pm

I love the FF too, and as such have no interest in picking up this run.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 101 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:35 am

I didn't care for the first issue. I haven't received #2 yet since I get it monthly from DCBS, but I've already stopped ordering.

If #2 and 3 wow me, I'll pick up any missed issues at the LCS.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 597 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:47 am

Originality in comics died in the 1990s.

This is the recycle age of comics.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 93 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:34 pm

I went cross-eyed so hard, I missed my head when I facepalmed myself.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:44 pm

I've enjoyed the first two issues of The Saviours and All New Invaders that I find it hard to believe it's the same James Robinson writing the Fantastic Four. Issue one was so bleh.

James, please bring back Leave it to Chance.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 148 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:14 pm

Didn't one of the Inhumans show Sue how to manipulate her force fields in a way so she could levitate/fly?

I thought that fairly well established.

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:09 pm

‘The Fall’ begins in earnest with this issue, as a bunch of creepy alien bug dudes blow up the Baxter Building and attack New York, and whilst it’s still very unclear how all of this will lead to the dark future we saw in #1, it is becoming clearer.

The issue begins right in the middle of the explosion, with Reed and Sue rushing to protect the kids. Dragon Man has kept them safe, and Franklin tells his parents that he can sense that these creatures came from ‘his’ world, which is better known to us as the ‘Heroes Reborn’ universe. I’m intrigued by this, as the original Heroes Reborn series are actually the first Marvel Comics I ever read, which probably explains my skewed sense of what good comics are, and also means I have a special place for them in my heart, even though they are probably (no, definitely) a bit shit. I haven’t read many of the later stories that featured the Universe, but what’s intriguing here is that James Robinson actually wrote a few issues of the infamous Captain America series. So I guess all of these terrible events are because of Cap-Boobs.

The FF head off in their awesome new Fantasti-Car to try and stop these monsters, and we see that this threat is wide-spread, and has bought all of the other various superheroes out to stop it. I said this about last issue too, but it’s cool to see a Fantastic Four series that feels much more connected to the wider Marvel Universe again. Millar, Hickman and Fraction all basically did their own thing, but now the FF is back at their rightful place as the centre of the Marvel Universe. But unfortunately for them at this moment, this is because the other heroes, mainly Wasp, are blaming Reed for what’s happened and want him to fix it. Johnny fries one of the monsters and delivers it to Reed so he can examine it and try to work out what to do.

Reed, being a genius, quickly works out that nothing from this Universe can stop the beasts, so he whips up a toxin from the Negative Zone that should stop them. Johnny grabs it to fly up and use it, but he ignores Reed’s warning that there may be side effects. It does work, and the monsters are stopped, but there are definitely side effects, as when Johnny falls back to Earth… his powers are gone. This makes sense, as this isn’t technically the original Johnny if I remember correctly. He’s a clone or something made from Negative Zone worms (Hickman’s run was weird y’all). Or if he’s not a clone, he died and was resurrected so many times in the Negative Zone that the toxin was bound to fuck him up. So this is the first step in the Fall then, no powers for Johnny Storm. I’m not too enthused about this, but hey, we shall see.

Leonard Kirk’s art was once again excellent, he really is a brilliant fit for an old-school superhero team like the Fantastic Four. So far, Robinson’s run is impressing me, he gets these characters, even as he tears them apart. And hey, I almost forgot how angry I am at the red costumes! I reckon next time I’ll be able to avoid mentioning it!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 778 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:30 pm

The first issue was such an underwhelming debut issue that I really didn't care what happened in this issue, I just knew that it had to be an improvement. Yes, the second issue of James Robinson's Fantastic Four run was a slight improvement over the first issue. I liked the fact that we got right into the action and I am even intrigued by the concept that something is "wrong" with the "Heroes Reborn" universe, horrible though the original story-arc may have been. Where this issue really falls apart is it's characterization and usage of Johnny Storm. It's interesting that Punchy brings up Johnny's time in the Negative Zone because ever since the end of Hickman's run, there has been absolutely no evidence that the entire character arc even took place. Worst of all? Johnny loses his powers...again...at the end of the issue.

Ugh...I wanted to give this series a second chance. I really did but I think I'm done. Loss of powers stories are one of my least favorite reoccurring themes in all of fiction. :smt011
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand