Thursday, November 15, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Putting the yellow back into journalism."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Fantastic Four #2 spoilers

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:48 am

This thread will contain spoilers!

Ok so another fun issue by
Slott filling us in on what the Future Foundation has been up to.(including aging quickly apparently). Seriously did Franklin need another layer of confusion regarding his age?

Love Val’s new “friend” and Reed’s reaction to them. The new villain eh not sold on them. Another cosmic threat yada yada yada.

My big question is the end splash page. Reed’s call for help was not to just Ben and Johnny but everyone who was an FF member.

Including Iceman??? I consider myself as big a FF dork you can find but when was Iceman a FF member? Even Google is failing me!

chap Amoebas any idea here? This will bug me all damn week if I don’t get answer.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:35 am

Yeah, I got nothing.

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:51 am

:smt102 Storm and Wolverine, but no Iceman. That's what Wikipedia says anyway.

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 am

chap22 wrote:Yeah, I got nothing.

Yeah then I’m chocking this to a screw up.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:33 am

Jack Burton wrote:
Yeah then I’m chocking this to a screw up.

I mean shit, I even remember (without looking it up) when Namorita was a member for about 5 seconds during the Loeb/Pacheco run, but I draw a complete blank as to Iceman.

TheLurker

rubber spoon

Postby TheLurker » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:36 am

Haven't read it, but is time travel involved? Maybe Iceman is FF sometime in our future?

Or a screwup.

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:49 am

chap22 wrote:
I mean shit, I even remember (without looking it up) when Namorita was a member for about 5 seconds during the Loeb/Pacheco run, but I draw a complete blank as to Iceman.

Yeah me too. Even Cage was a member for 1 issue only. Unless the guy between T’Challa and Crystal isn’t Iceman(he looks exactly like Bachalo Iceman though)

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Having now read the issue, I think it's gotta be a mistake. Just compare the final splash with the cover for the next issue on the next page: the splash includes Iceman (never an FF member) but doesn't include Hulk (a "new FF" member with Spidey, Wolvy and GR), but the next cover includes Hulk but no Iceman. I think Pichelli either got shitty instructions from Slott in the plot (likely...it is Slott after all), or she just mixed it up, and either way the editor didn't catch it (not surprising as I don't believe any Marvel editor has done a day's worth of competent editing work in probably at least a decade -- it's become all mandate diversity and bad stories, communicate with the writers and whatever artists they can throw together to fill in for the name creator who can't pt out 3 consecutive timely issues, and berate fans on letters pages/message boards, they can't be half-assed to actually make sure the content of the books adheres to any continuity, logic, or grammatical guidelines).

Other than that admittedly minor point, as to the issue: mixed bag. There is some really good dialogue in there, some really fun moments, and some small exchanges that again make me think Slott really gets the FF and what makes them special. But then I kinda hate the new RIDICULOUSLY-overpowered and generically extreme villain, especially when I kinda think she's in the right here. I mean really, what gives Reed and these kids the right to just go and create fully-formed brand-new universes whole cloth on whatever their whim is at the moment? There are infinite complications, repercussions and dilemmas that arise from such nonsense and I just don't see how any of this is a good idea. And the explanation of "Franklin's powers are still off the charts but now all of a sudden he just can't create universes any more", while necessary and proper, is just so flimsy and vague and "have your cake and eat it too" as to be insulting and distracting.

I'm not leaving anytime soon b/c of the small stuff Slott gets right, but I really hope the plots get better to accompany the characterization.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:09 pm

First things first...

Wolverine, Hulk, GR & Spidey were not REAL members of the FF. Hell, Doc Doom was more of a member in FF #116 than they ever were.

And if they do count (which they shouldn't) then the Skrull posing as Sue Richards should be there as well.

Spidey could count as a member if What-If's are accepted.

H.E.R.B.I.E. was only a member of the cartoon show - so if tagalongs are accepted, then Wyatt Wingfoot had better show up!

I assume Flux isn't there because he's dead so the theory of crossing time streams for Iceman is out the window.

As for Iceman, the closest I can find is him wanting to take the name...

Other than that - I'm stumped for now.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:23 pm

C'mon, Amoebas, Spidey counts without What Ifs, he took Johnny's place and was a full-fledged member during Hickman's run. Quit being Crotchety Old Guy. :lol:

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:27 pm

chap22 wrote:C'mon, Amoebas, Spidey counts without What Ifs, he took Johnny's place and was a full-fledged member during Hickman's run. Quit being Crotchety Old Guy. :lol:

I was never a fan of Hickman's run, so I forgot about that.

But c'mon, I gotta get some extra credit for knowing about Flux. 8)

jephd

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby jephd » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:39 pm

My guess is it was supposed to be Bruce or Namor and somewhere between initial art and colours either picelli or the inker saw "bloke in shorts" and added the ice spikes.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Amoebas wrote:First things first...

Wolverine, Hulk, GR & Spidey were not REAL members of the FF. Hell, Doc Doom was more of a member in FF #116 than they ever were.

And if they do count (which they shouldn't) then the Skrull posing as Sue Richards should be there as well.

Spidey could count as a member if What-If's are accepted.

jephd

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby jephd » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:31 pm

RobThompson wrote:Image

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:38 pm

Shit! I missed this today!

leave a comment with facebook