Advertisement

Fatale #5 (Showing our true faces Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Fatale #5 (Showing our true faces Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat May 12, 2012 3:46 pm

The first arc of Fatale comes to an end, and although we’re not really any closer to finding out the answers to the central mysteries, we get a lot of juicy details and some closure on one main character, Walt Booker, who dies, but not after dealing a blow to the evil cult. Am I right in guessing that the new body that Bishop took was Hank Raines’ unborn son? If so, that’s a brilliant development, one that makes the story very personal. I can’t wait to see this version of Bishop all grown up. I must say, that despite the presence of creepy tentacle-faced demons and labyrinthine tunnels, the part of this issue that freaked me out the most was the scene at the end in the present, where Nicolas went to visit his father in the asylum, very creepy. I hope the next arc of this story focuses a bit more on Nicolas’ story, I feel that in this first arc, the balance between past and present wasn’t quite right. This was another excellent issue from the Brubaker/Phillips dream team, despite the lack of a back-matter essay, seriously, I need those essays, they brighten my month.

Advertisement

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Re: Fatale #5 (Showing our true faces Spoilers)

Postby Eli Katz » Sun May 27, 2012 11:07 am

Maybe when the story is complete, this series will read well. But right now it doesn't. Too much is left unanswered. I find the book visually and thematically interesting. But I wish I cared more for the characters, or at least one of the characters. I haven't been able to form an emotional attachment to the book yet. And I wish I had a better sense of the overall direction of the story.

I am surprised that, of all the Bru-Phillips collaboration, this one is selling best. It's the least accessible. I will continue to follow this series because it has much potential and because it is 100 times more interesting than most comics. But I can't say that I'm blown away by it yet.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun May 27, 2012 11:08 am

Same!

Sold mine.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun May 27, 2012 11:55 am

Eli Katz wrote:Maybe when the story is complete, this series will read well. But right now it doesn't. Too much is left unanswered. I find the book visually and thematically interesting. But I wish I cared more for the characters, or at least one of the characters. I haven't been able to form an emotional attachment to the book yet. And I wish I had a better sense of the overall direction of the story.

I am surprised that, of all the Bru-Phillips collaboration, this one is selling best. It's the least accessible. I will continue to follow this series because it has much potential and because it is 100 times more interesting than most comics. But I can't say that I'm blown away by it yet.

Well we're only 1/3rd of the way through, I don't think you should expect everything to be answered.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun May 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Punchy wrote:
Well we're only 1/3rd of the way through, I don't think you should expect everything to be answered.

I don't expect everything, or even near everything, to be answered. You are reading something into my post that I never said. All I said was that not enough has been answered for me to care about this story.

Put another way, not enough of the plot has taken shape for me to feel invested. I understand that it's a thriller and that it will only provide central answers near its conclusion. But as far as I can tell, we have no idea what this satanic cult wants or does, or what Jo's role is. The cult kills a lot of people, but I don't care enough about any character -- Jo included -- to care whenever someone dies.

I guess if I cared more about the characters, I wouldn't care as much about the plot. But so far, the book seems to be more atmospheric than anything else. Bru and Phillips have created an interesting nightmare of a world, but the plot is too ambiguous. Five issues, in my opinion, should give us more story.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand