Advertisement

Fav. stories Starring..

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

rdrsfn82
User avatar
Wrasslin' Fan
 
Posts: 32360
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 6 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Reno, NV


Postby rdrsfn82 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:23 am

chap22 wrote:he stuck it better on Booster. i maintain that to my dying breath.


I don't know if it's better than his stuff on GL overall, but the end of his arc on Booster was in fact perfect beyond words. the last two issues were jaw dropping moment after jaw dropping moment leading to revelations and teases that just set it up wonderfully for what's coming next.

I don't know if it's better than showing the coming of Blackest Night and the upcoming various Corps battling, but it's at least equal.
Image

Advertisement

john lewis hawk
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 29707
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 235 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Southern California
Title: not here


Online


Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:29 am

chap22 wrote:yes you do. easily his best work since he left Flash IMO. yes fanboys, better than Green Lantern and JSA.
Better than GL? Agreed. Johns isn't a good pick for GL. But JSA over Booster Gold I disagree with. Johns is only doing the basics with Booster and while Booster's more interesting than the JSA, Johns is meant for the JSA.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21435
Likes: 31 posts
Liked in: 171 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Postby chap22 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:49 am

john lewis wrote:Better than GL? Agreed. Johns isn't a good pick for GL. But JSA over Booster Gold I disagree with. Johns is only doing the basics with Booster and while Booster's more interesting than the JSA, Johns is meant for the JSA.

i just cannot agree. JSA was 100 times better pre-reboot/re-start/re-whatever than it is now. it's finally starterd to rev up lately with the Gog stuff, but even that took too long to get moving. Booster was hitting it out of the park from the word go. it was just more enjoyable earlier, and never lagged in that department. JSA bored m to death for at least 10-12 issues (and it loses BIG points for being involved with the Lightning Saga, probably the most disappointing story i've read in almost a decade).
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

outsider
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 33728
Likes: 1076 posts
Liked in: 590 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power


Postby outsider » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:06 pm

I wish I could check out Sinestro Corps War at my local library or something. I refuse to buy it on principle because Superboy Prime & The Anti-Monitor teaming up, even for a brief moment, is beyond ludicrous.
-

john lewis hawk
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 29707
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 235 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Southern California
Title: not here


Online


Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:11 pm

chap22 wrote:i just cannot agree. JSA was 100 times better pre-reboot/re-start/re-whatever than it is now. it's finally starterd to rev up lately with the Gog stuff, but even that took too long to get moving. Booster was hitting it out of the park from the word go. it was just more enjoyable earlier, and never lagged in that department. JSA bored m to death for at least 10-12 issues (and it loses BIG points for being involved with the Lightning Saga, probably the most disappointing story i've read in almost a decade).
I was talking about JSA, not Justice Society of America. The only thing the new title has as an advantage over the old one is Eaglesham and some of the new characters.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21435
Likes: 31 posts
Liked in: 171 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Postby chap22 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:21 pm

john lewis wrote:I was talking about JSA, not Justice Society of America. The only thing the new title has as an advantage over the old one is Eaglesham and some of the new characters.

well, JSA hasn't been "since he left Flash", now has it? n00b... :roll:
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Jack Burton
User avatar
biny little tird
 
Posts: 12218
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 37 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:20 pm
Location: Braintree, MA


Postby Jack Burton » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:25 pm

chap22 wrote:well, JSA hasn't been "since he left Flash", now has it? n00b... :roll:


Johns work rating imo

1)JSA - best team book of the 2000's.

2)The Flash. I loved every issue

3)Green Lantern - Actually made Hal interesting to me. Would still prefer Kyle but good stuff is good stuff.

4)Booster Gold - I was....fun.

5)Action Comics - I like Superman and I liked the Legion Story but I feel like Johns is mining old stuff like the Reeve movies and pre-Crisis Superman. Also Braniac as a roided out brute just seems weird to me.

6)Justice Society - Where's my JSA? Who the hell let Ross influence the story? Get his ass out of here and maybe bring back Goyer. The Kingdom Come crap is boring me to tears!

john lewis hawk
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 29707
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 235 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Southern California
Title: not here


Online


Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:27 pm

chap22 wrote:well, JSA hasn't been "since he left Flash", now has it? n00b... :roll:
He was still working on it after he left Flash, noob.

If you want to be strict about it, I would say that the first story in GL with the Manhunters was his best post-Flash stuff. The rest of GL, Infinite Crisis, JSA 2, and Booster Gold have been average at best.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21435
Likes: 31 posts
Liked in: 171 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Postby chap22 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:35 pm

john lewis wrote:He was still working on it after he left Flash, noob.

If you want to be strict about it, I would say that the first story in GL with the Manhunters was his best post-Flash stuff. The rest of GL, Infinite Crisis, JSA 2, and Booster Gold have been average at best.

bah. Booster was better than anything that came after the "Out of Time" 2-parter. and was as good or better than most of the stuff that came before it.

and that 3-part Manhunters arc in GL 1-3 was boring and one of the worst arcs Johns has done on GL (it was only better than the Alpha Lanterns 3-parter, and better than the start of the Secret Origin arc, but it's finally picked up). you're smokin' crack.
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

BubbaKanoosh
User avatar
2009 Most Valuable Poster
 
Posts: 36001
Likes: 490 posts
Liked in: 685 posts
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:50 am
Formerly: BRBKanoosh


Postby BubbaKanoosh » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:27 pm

I started on the rebooted JSA first then went back to get the old one in trades, the old JSA is far greater then the rebooted.

AaronW
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 25025
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:12 pm


Re: Fav. stories Starring..

Postby AaronW » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:56 pm

Batman - The Dark Knight Returns - The birth of the Goddamn Batman. Love the art, the tone, the Super-stooge, the new Robin, the retirement of Gordon, The end of the Joker. All of it.

Captain America - Winter Soldier. Never the biggest Cap fan outside of Avengers but this was awesome. Made the return of Bucky rock.

Avengers (Any incarnation) - Under Siege - Action, action, action! The fall of Avengers Mansion and the brutal beating of Hercules. Awesome fights and a great overall story.

Teen Titans (Any incarnation) - Judas Contract - What else is there? The titans are the junior justice league, they mostly suck. Dethstroke rocks though.

Hulk - Um the Two Part story where he fought both teams of Avengers. What other choices are there? An out of control Hulk fighting all the Avengers at once and holding his own. When he was using Samson as a battering ram was great too, the pony tail wearing poser.

Superman - Man of Steel - The beginning of when I could read DC comics and not have all the stupid Golden/Silver age crap to deal with. Great art, a and a great reboot of the character. Too bad its all back now, all the crap, all the extra Earths, all that SHIT!

Spiderman - The Death of Gwen Stacy - The most powerful Spidey story and great art by Gil Kane. Ownage.

Wonder Woman - :lol: :smt044 I the George Perez reboot was as close as she came to not sucking.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21435
Likes: 31 posts
Liked in: 171 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Re: Fav. stories Starring..

Postby chap22 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:17 pm

Aaron_W wrote:Hulk - Um the Two Part story where he fought both teams of Avengers. What other choices are there?


well, just about anything from PAD's run (Hulk vs. Wolvy in the snow, Ground Zero, the Mr. Fixit stuff, the Pantheon stuff, Rick's bachelor party, the end of the run), Planet Hulk, the original Jarella stuff...
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

AaronW
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 25025
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:12 pm


Re: Fav. stories Starring..

Postby AaronW » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:37 am

chap22 wrote:well, just about anything from PAD's run (Hulk vs. Wolvy in the snow, Ground Zero, the Mr. Fixit stuff, the Pantheon stuff, Rick's bachelor party, the end of the run), Planet Hulk, the original Jarella stuff...


Bah all that shit pales next to him fighting both teams of Avengers. Then again I was never the biggest fan of the Hulk's solo book. Preferred him as a force showing up in another book.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21435
Likes: 31 posts
Liked in: 171 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Re: Fav. stories Starring..

Postby chap22 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:11 am

Aaron_W wrote:Bah all that shit pales next to him fighting both teams of Avengers. Then again I was never the biggest fan of the Hulk's solo book. Preferred him as a force showing up in another book.

you're high. :roll: :P Fixit Hulk was the greatest ever. he fought dirty. and talked shit to tell you about it while he did it.:-D
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Jack Burton
User avatar
biny little tird
 
Posts: 12218
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 37 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:20 pm
Location: Braintree, MA


Re: Fav. stories Starring..

Postby Jack Burton » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:45 am

chap22 wrote:you're high. :roll: :P Fixit Hulk was the greatest ever. he fought dirty. and talked shit to tell you about it while he did it.:-D


Fixit Hulk was cool but I am still pissed that he beat Pineapple Thing like he did. Dirty cheating grey douche. :evil:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Belle-Tain Summer, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], SporkBot, TimH and 80 guests

Advertisement