Advertisement

So Fear Itself is finally over (FI #7 spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

djef
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Re: So Fear Itself is finally over (FI #7 spoilers)

Postby djef » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:44 pm

When they named the Serpent, why didn't they know that Cul means Ass?

Advertisement

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:34 pm

I loved this series up to until the last book, then it kinda dropped to OK for me. I thought it spent too much of the series building to the finale and then the finale felt kinda rushed. And the four different epilogues were a bit much.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:56 pm

xaraan wrote:I loved this series up to until the last book, then it kinda dropped to OK for me. I thought it spent too much of the series building to the finale and then the finale felt kinda rushed. And the four different epilogues were a bit much.

I agree.

I also think this is the first time I had more of a problem with the art than I did the actual story, the only cool splash page as mentioned earlier was Steve picking up Mjolnir. There was no transformational scene with the new weapons even when Tony said there would be one early in the issue and also no funeral pyre.

Endings are always hard, but, this was really bad for no reason.

Hab

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 165 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:58 pm

I like the story overall but this felt like it was missing a page or two.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:05 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Thor's already dead? How long was that return? 5 years?

Considering how he'll be back for that new Avengers ongoing, I'm sure this won't last long.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:08 pm

The President wrote:Still, it was a solid event. Best one in a long time (that's why Bendis shouldn't write them).

I agree that it was a solid event.

Massively disagree that it was the best in a long time.

Siege blows this out of the water.

Even Secret Invasion was better.

The one complaint I agree with about this book was that it has felt like an outline rather than an actual story.

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:11 pm

Holland Oats wrote:
I agree that it was a solid event.

Massively disagree that it was the best in a long time.

Siege blows this out of the water.

Even Secret Invasion was better.

The one complaint I agree with about this book was that it has felt like an outline rather than an actual story.

Siege was enjoyable, but mindless.

Secret Invasion was a huge letdown. So much potential, so big a fail.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 381 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:54 am

Holland Oats wrote:
Considering how he'll be back for that new Avengers ongoing, I'm sure this won't last long.

Where do you get that?? He's not on the cover..

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 381 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:56 am

SuperginraiX wrote:He got a suit covered in some kind of spikes?

Honestly, the Mighty concept would have worked better if it was actually given more depth. They get the suits, they fight in them mostly off panel, the Mighty weapons are thrown back into the vat at the end of the fight. Kinda useless.

I'm still trying to figure out how Red She-Hulk got there since she wasn't with the group last issue. It seems like that group changes by the panel, though so maybe it wasn't really that planned out. I'm still trying to figure out why Tony would make a weapon for her or why she would have even been on his mind. I can understand most of the rest but Red She-Hulk just leaves me scratching my head. Last we saw, she was in Brazil and I don't remember her ever even registering on Iron Man's radar.

Maybe she went back with the Avengers that were there? Weren't there Avengers who ended up down there in one of the Avengers Tie- Ins?

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 165 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:16 am

e_galston wrote:

Actually he was but he was taken off. Look at it again theres a hole near the top corner where he was at.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 199 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:13 am

The latest Mighty Thor solicitations hint he's around:
http://marvel.com/comic_books/issue/382 ... hor_2011_9

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 181 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:44 am

djef wrote:When they named the Serpent, why didn't they know that Cul means Ass?

Because they knew how bad the villain for this was.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:38 pm

e_galston wrote:

He's been photoshopped out of it, I thought. You can see where he would fit in.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:41 pm

The President wrote:
Siege was enjoyable, but mindless.

Secret Invasion was a huge letdown. So much potential, so big a fail.

Siege was no more mindless than Fear Itself has been. And Secret Invasion no more a letdown than Fear Itself, as well.

I think of these three, Siege was the most solid from concept, to mix of action and story.. it was a complete package. The other two had a good setup, but just failed to put it all together. I think Secret Invasion was more enjoyable in that respect, but still not without many faults.

I feel like the actual Fear Itself book was basically a Cliffs Notes version of the event as a whole, whereas much of the actual story took place in the tie-ins.

Hate that.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:06 pm

e_galston wrote:
Maybe she went back with the Avengers that were there? Weren't there Avengers who ended up down there in one of the Avengers Tie- Ins?

Yeah, she made a brief appearance in Avengers #15 when Spider-Woman, Ms. Marvel, the Protector, and Hawkeye went down to Brazil to fight Nul/ Hulk. When those four were called back to New York in Avengers #17, she was no where to be seen.

Three of those four made a brief appearance in Ghost Rider #3 on their drive back to the states (their Quinjet had been destroyed in the battle with Nul). They were in Columbia at the time. Since the Protector isn't seen, it's POSSIBLE that Red She-Hulk is also just off panel (more likely the writer and/ or artist on the book just forgot about the Protector).

All of them are back in New York for Fear Itself #6 when the teams split up to take Thor back to Asgard and to defend New York. Red She-Hulk is no where to be seen.

And the problem I have with it is that Fraction KNEW where he was going. He knew that he was setting up specific Avengers to become the Mighty because we saw teaser images a LONG time ago. Maybe there were last minute changes. Maybe. But still, the series doesn't set up the specific characters in Broxton in the story. Red She-Hulk is just the biggest offender but not the only one.

In Fear Itself #6, Luke Cage and the New Avengers are left to defend/ evacuate/ whatever New York City. That places Iron Fist and Dr. Strange in NYC instead of Broxton and no panel in FI #6 magically shows them traveling to Fallen Asgard. Instead, Hawkeye specifically says that Luke's team has New York while they do their jobs here. Spider-Man is still swinging around New York, looking for his Aunt after Rogers and his team teleport to Asgard.

The Avengers at the World Tree as seen at the end of Fear Itself #6 are Captain America, Red Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, Protector, Hawkeye, and Wolverine. We see Dark Asgard floating in the background of that issue. There's no time for the others to make a crosscountry trek.

But in Fear Itself #7, there they are. No explanation. They're just needed for the plot so there they are. It makes me wonder if Stuart Immonen and Matt Fraction were really on the same page for what they were planning or if Fraction was just making it up as he went along. It's sloppy storytelling. I keep thinking I might be nitpicking but this isn't that. This is "Character A was not in position for his next scene so suddenly he was." With seven issues to work with and a multitude of tie-ins, it should have been an easy matter to get the right Avengers in the right place and have that make sense. Instead, it seems like random Avengers are drawn in every scene without anyone checking the plot.

But I read all of the Fear Itself issues and then wrote about them so I'm much more burnt out than your average reader who probably didn't notice that Spidey was still swinging around New York when last we saw him. I get that. It's still sloppy storytelling.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand