Advertisement

Final Crisis #1 - A Total Mess

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post

Final Crisis #1 - A Total Mess

Postby Alex Delarge » Thu May 29, 2008 3:36 pm

Wow.

I attempted to read this today and it was like reading original Shakespeare, if you took all of Shakespeare's plays, ripped out random pages, and glued them all together in random order.

Shit did not make sense on any level whatsoever.

For an event book, this first issue is a dismal failure. I cannot express the level of disappointment I had reading this issue.

Morrison even made the Libra stuff confusing. Hell I would prefer McDuffie writing this than Morrison given JLA #21.

This whole New God/Human transition is ill-explained and simply retarded at the moment. How does being human make these jokers any more scary, deadly, worth a granule of my time and consideration? So far, nothing.

Ugh. Hands down Worst Book of the Week.

Advertisement

Comic_Doctor
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: Tag Team

Postby Comic_Doctor » Thu May 29, 2008 6:13 pm

I flipped through this when I picked up my Previews on Wednesday, and I thought it looked terrible too. I'll still read issue #1 to see how it is, but I think DC may have dropped the ball on this one.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 255 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu May 29, 2008 6:48 pm

the art was beautiful and all the little easter eggs hidden away in it were a nice touch.......but it was too disjointed with the pacing. tried to do too much stuff without giving it much depth. btw regarding martian manhunter's scene.......i thought in bruce jone's mini he was given a level of resistance to fire, has that been ignored now?

on another note im glad i dropped countdown and never touched any of its spinoffs as it appears everything that happened there was ignored.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu May 29, 2008 7:18 pm

Morrison NEEDS an artist on the same level as him to make sense. I don't know why, but every time I've read anything of his that wasn't drawn by Frank Q, I am always lost.

This was no different. To me, it seemed like one thing happened in the entire book. I won't spoil that, but the rest was just people blabbering on about.. God knows what. I sure don't.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu May 29, 2008 9:40 pm

I was really disappointed as well. Although it was Morisson and I was afraid it was going to be like this. *sigh*

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 255 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri May 30, 2008 2:03 am

i just reread it and realised something about the monitor scene.... in that final panel was that particular monitor...breaking the fourth wall?

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 230 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Fri May 30, 2008 3:03 am

Morrison does like the concept of breaking the fourth wall, so it's very possible.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 377 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Fri May 30, 2008 3:47 am

nietoperz wrote:Morrison does like the concept of breaking the fourth wall, so it's very possible.
I was thinking about this earlier, but wouldn' it be cool if there was a story where the characters fight back against fourth wall-breaking?

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 230 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Fri May 30, 2008 3:49 am

That would be cool. Though we have seen Animal Man questioned by other characters in the past over his fourth-wall breaking IIRC.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Fri May 30, 2008 9:24 am

I read this before I went to bed last night.

I agree with what a lot of people here said, that it seems to skip around to random events and doesn't seem to be tied together.

The funny thing is, that was my opinion of Infinite Crisis when it first started and I thought that ended up being a great story.

I like a lot of the seeds Morrison planted in this issue and I'm looking forward to seeing how he brings it all together. He's one of those writers you need to be patient with.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Fri May 30, 2008 11:39 am

Well it's a Crisis, and I love Morrison (usually). I'm sticking it out to the end regardless, I'm just not going to get my hopes too high. I still think the original Crisis is unmatched, and I don't see that ever changing.

Mr. Batman

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby Mr. Batman » Fri May 30, 2008 11:53 am

MoneyMelon wrote:I read this before I went to bed last night.

I agree with what a lot of people here said, that it seems to skip around to random events and doesn't seem to be tied together.

The funny thing is, that was my opinion of Infinite Crisis when it first started and I thought that ended up being a great story.

I like a lot of the seeds Morrison planted in this issue and I'm looking forward to seeing how he brings it all together. He's one of those writers you need to be patient with.

Exactly. Infinite Crisis basically started out the same way, but I loved it.

I think Final Crisis will be the same.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Fri May 30, 2008 1:37 pm

Like a few others I felt very meh after reading this. I'm going to stick with it though. Morrison usually ends bringing everything together nicely.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri May 30, 2008 3:33 pm

the good news is that Risk hasn't lost either one of his legs yet. :P

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Comic_Doctor
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: Tag Team

Postby Comic_Doctor » Fri May 30, 2008 5:55 pm

I just read the issue, and I didn't think it was too bad. Nothing really happened though. I think that Monitor was talking to someone off-panel, but maybe not.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand