Advertisement

DC to Finally Reveal Batman's Origin with The Zero Year

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby LOLtron » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:35 am

Scott Snyder's Batman will spend a year-long storyline exploring the beginnings of the caped crusader.

Source: Associated Press

If there's one thing superhero comics, tv shows, and movies don't do enough of, it's the retelling of well-known origin stories. It's not like every time a movie franchise or comic book universe gets rebooted, we see an origin again, or like every new creative team to come onto Batman does their own one-page origin recap. Certainly, there haven't been dozens of books and graphic novels set in this era of Batman's history by such industry luminaries as Frank Miller and Jeph Loeb. That's why we're glad to see that DC is finally taking the initiative and going back to "Year Zero" for an entire year in Scott Snyder's Batman.

According to the Associated Press, readers will be "going back into Bruce Wayne’s past to see how he began his transformation from wealthy socialite to the scourge of Gotham’s criminal underworld." Thank god! We've been wondering how that happened for years!

The AP article promises that pretty much nothing has changed, so readers need not worry that Snyder's tale will retcon classics like Frank Miller's Year One. So why not just read Year One? The answer is simple: $$$$.

"An eleven part origin arc is exactly what fans are looking for when reading DC's flagship superhero book," said no one ever.  

"I can't wait to see what minor changes are in store for one of most well known origin stories of all time," said another non-existant person.

"Christ, didn't Geoff Johns just write a Batman origin story last year?" said yet another non-existant fan.

Head over to the Washington Post to read the above two paragraphs stated in different ways over and over again, in typical AP style, along with some meaningless quotes from Snyder, such as, " It’s time for a new story showing how Batman became who he is in the New 52. It builds up the mythology." Batman: Zero Hour 2 - The Zeroist Hour begins in June and will run for 11 issues, all drawn by Greg Capullo. It is rumored to feature The Riddler.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Sunless
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: THE Sunless

Re: DC to Finally Reveal Batman's Origin with The Zero Year

Postby Sunless » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:48 am

UGH. Just UGH.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:49 am

amazing. i'm now dropping a Batman book written by Snyder and featuring the Riddler. i feel like i'm in Bizarro World.

great idea, DC. :smt011 :smt011
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 484 posts

Postby GHERU » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:50 am

I liked the 0 issue and if this builds on that I'm pretty stoked
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Mr. Poolman
Twenty-Something

Title: Is Always Right

Postby Mr. Poolman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:56 am

Finally!
I bet he is revealed to be a sickly kid on Canada with a redheaded love interest!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1173 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:09 am

Mr. Poolman wrote:Finally!
I bet he is revealed to be a sickly kid on Canada with a redheaded love interest!

:lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1021 posts

Postby HNutz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:25 am

LOLtron wrote: If there's one thing superhero comics, tv shows, and movies don't DO enough of, it's the retelling of well-known origin stories. !

Need to add a verb up top.

chap22 wrote:amazing. i'm now dropping a Batman book written by Snyder and featuring the Riddler. i feel like i'm in Bizarro World.

Yeah, that's insane.

I guess we'll also be seeing that Red Hood Gang, too. But that alone's not enough to grab me for 11 issues to watch Bruce turn into Batman again.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:27 am

If it's Bruce Wayne world traveler learning to be an escape artist stuff, I'm in. If it's Bruce puts on a mask and uses a grappling gun for the first time, I'm out.

This should come as good news to all the Harper Row haters- it's harder to make her the new Robin doing a year long younger Bruce story.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 72 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:34 am

chap22 wrote:amazing. i'm now dropping a Batman book written by Snyder and featuring the Riddler. i feel like i'm in Bizarro World.

You know, this is the part about comics that just infuriates me. They bitch and moan about readers always living in the past, but these companies and creators are even worse -- they just can't effing help themselves and not go back to the well AGAIN for another look at the formative years of a 75-year-old character. Who the hell was asking for this? Seriously?

You don't want to change Batman: Year One. OK. So Year Zero is what people are wanting? ELEVEN FREAKING PARTS WORTH?

Damn it, DC -- move it forward, FFS!

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 882 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
You know, this is the part about comics that just infuriates me. They bitch and moan about readers always living in the past, but these companies and creators are even worse -- they just can't effing help themselves and not go back to the well AGAIN for another look at the formative years of a 75-year-old character. Who the hell was asking for this? Seriously?

You don't want to change Batman: Year One. OK. So Year Zero is what people are wanting? ELEVEN FREAKING PARTS WORTH?

yup. this here.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:53 am

Is this DC's version of the Marvel Season One books?

Either way I'm out.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:14 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:

It's what I've been saying for years, man. Anytime you reach back to resurrect Barry Allen, and furthermore, tamper with his backstory, it's clear that you have just as much -- if not MORE -- of a vested interest in the past as the fans do.

As for Snyder, it's clear that he's out of ideas, and went for the easy way of filling up almost a year's worth of comics.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 407 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:22 pm

:smt011
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 262 posts

Postby misac » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:25 pm

I don't know if I'll drop it but that's a long ass arc. The Joker one felt eternal too.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand