Advertisement

Forever Evil #2 (A better rat trap Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Forever Evil #2 (A better rat trap Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:46 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:I'm reading it...God help me. I'm reading it.

Nice synopsis, Punch -- your insight is spot-on.

I was a little irritated at how, again, the villains in this stuff always seem to be at the top of their game, know every single aspect of their powers and how to use them, while the heroes always rush headlong into battle and get their asses kicked.

I get it: Crime Syndicate takes over the world. Johnny Quick and Atomica? Well, they're the villains, so they're bad-ass.

Of course, having a half-clone of a Kryptonian, a former partner of Batman, and a Kid Flash, among others...well, none of that stuff matters. Because they're the good guys, and in events, the good guys always get owned until the last half of the last issue, where miracles never cease and victories are pulled out of asses.

Yeah, but the Teen Titans are losers.

As I said, most of the time in crossovers, they get slaughtered, they actually did better this time!

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:51 pm

Punchy wrote:
I don't think they are.

'DC Comics is' just sounds wrong.

Eh, whatever, there are no hard and fast rules in the English language, it's always evolving.

There are plenty of hard and fast rules, and I'm afraid that this is one of them.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:54 pm

Punchy wrote:
Yeah, but the Teen Titans are losers.

As I said, most of the time in crossovers, they get slaughtered, they actually did better this time!

Ha! True!

But that begs the question -- and I'm being serious: Haven't comics evolved past the concept of teen heroes and sidekicks and "Teen Titans?"

You said it before, but it was the truth: Risk got his freaking arm torn off by Superboy Prime. Terra III got a hole punched in her chest by Black Adam. And while that could certainly happen to the adults, this isn't the 60s, 70s and 80s anymore.

Again, if storytelling wasn't "grim-and-gritty," I'd be totally fine with a Robin and a Teen Titans, etc.

But it isn't. If Ultraman had been there, he might've flash-fried some of those kids -- and no matter how anyone wants to slice it, they are kids who clearly are outmatched every single time this stuff goes down.
Last edited by ElijahSnowFan on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:55 pm

nietoperz wrote:
There are plenty of hard and fast rules, and I'm afraid that this is one of them.

I really don't think it is.

Is this seriously what we want to talk about? I know my opinions will apparently never be valid, so now we go to grammar?

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:55 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
My friend, you, too, are spot on. Not only do you get that, but in order to get to that point, you have just summed up the entirety of "Trinity War" and the first two issues of "Forever Evil."

I really am done with DC (other than Wondy, Earth-2, and maybe Flash) at this stage in my comics career. It really is just crap these days.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:58 pm

chap22 wrote:I really am done with DC (other than Wondy, Earth-2, and maybe Flash) at this stage in my comics career. It really is just crap these days.

Ha! You too? I'm only reading Aquaman and Earth 2 -- I barely made it through Trinity War to get to this point.

If I didn't like Jeff Parker and what Tom Taylor did with the Injustice digital comic so I think he'll do a good job on Earth 2, I'd be reading no DC monthlies. That has never, ever happened.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:59 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Ha! True!

But that begs the question -- and I'm being serious: Haven't comics evolved past the concept of teen heroes and sidekicks and "Teen Titans?"

You said it before, but it was the truth: Risk got his freaking arm torn off by Superboy Prime. Terra III got a hole punched in her chest by Black Adam. And while that could certainly happen to the adults, this isn't the 60s, 70s and 80s anymore.

Again, if storytelling wasn't "grim-and-gritty," I'd be totally fine with a Robin and a Teen Titans, etc.

But it isn't. If Ultraman had been there, he might've flash-fried some of those kids -- and no matter how anyone wants to slice it, they are kids who clearly are outmatched every single time this stuff goes down.

You read some stuff digitally, right? Do yourself a favor and pick up the first 5 (or 6, I forget...) issues of Danger Club, and get back to me on this question. You can thank me then.

Speaking of, does ANYBODY know if we're getting any more issues of Danger Club anytime soon (or ever)???? I'm beginning to really despair...

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Punchy wrote:
I really don't think it is.

Is this seriously what we want to talk about? I know my opinions will apparently never be valid, so now we go to grammar?

I have no problem with your opinions, but if you're wrong about the subject I teach then you have to expect me to let you know about it.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:01 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Ha! You too? I'm only reading Aquaman and Earth 2 -- I barely made it through Trinity War to get to this point.

If I didn't like Jeff Parker and what Tom Taylor did with the Injustice digital comic so I think he'll do a good job on Earth 2, I'd be reading no DC monthlies. That has never, ever happened.

Yep, me too?

And you're not reading WW? Oh, ESF...you are doing yourself a disservice. DC's best by such a large margin it's unquantifiable.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:02 pm

chap22 wrote:I really am done with DC (other than Wondy, Earth-2, and maybe Flash) at this stage in my comics career. It really is just crap these days.

Same here. Wonder Woman in trade and the two Snyder books are all I'm getting (and Unchained is on a very short leash). It's a crying shame.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:02 pm

chap22 wrote:
You read some stuff digitally, right? Do yourself a favor and pick up the first 5 (or 6, I forget...) issues of Danger Club, and get back to me on this question. You can thank me then.

Speaking of, does ANYBODY know if we're getting any more issues of Danger Club anytime soon (or ever)???? I'm beginning to really despair...

Huh. Will do -- I was just wondering what the hell I could read this weekend that didn't have any continuity that I'd have to deal with!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:03 pm

nietoperz wrote:
I have no problem with your opinions, but if you're wrong about the subject I teach then you have to expect me to let you know about it.

I really don't think it is wrong, and I will continue to pluralise (which isn't a word, hah!) as much as I want.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:04 pm

Punchy wrote:
I really don't think it is wrong, and I will continue to pluralise (which isn't a word, hah!) as much as I want.

It's wrong. You're an idiot.

/there'stoday'squota

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:05 pm

Punchy wrote:

Your call, but you'd fail my class.

Also, 'pluralise' is a word.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:06 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Ha! True!

There are still good teen superhero books out there (Avengers Arena, Nova, Ultimate Spider-Man) but I do think that the concept is a bit more problematic in the current age.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand