Advertisement

Frankenstein Agent of Shade #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Frankenstein Agent of Shade #1

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:03 pm

This is an excellent first issue, the very best thing about the new DC line is that Jeff Lemire has finally seemed to find his niche at DC proper (not counting Sweet Tooth), after some fairly standard but not as compelling books before the revamp. Both of his new debuts have completely renewed my faith in him as a mainstream comics writer.

I would give this #1 a perfect score.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Frankenstein Agent of Shade #1

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:12 am

This was great fun. I liked Lemire’s work on Superboy and Atom, but with the Relaunch he’s been given some books that really fit his sensibilities, and I think Frankenstein and Animal Man will be among the break-out hits of the New 52. This book reminded me a lot of early Grant Morrison stuff, like Doom Patrol, and there were also some elements of Hellboy and BPRD. Frankenstein is a really interesting character, a bad-ass monster that quotes poetry and has troubles with his ex-wife, and Lemire surrounds him with all sorts of weirdness, including the Creature Commandos and Father Time who is now a little girl. I was surprised to see Ray Palmer show up here of all places, and glad that Lemire took the ‘Ant Farm’ concept he created in those Adventure Comics back-ups and used it here as SHADE’s base. It does look like Ray isn’t the Atom yet though, which is strange. The art by Ponticelli was good, it fit the tone of Lemire’s script, and the double-page spreads of Frankenstein and his allies carved through the monsters were very cool. I will say that the threat Frank was facing seems a little generic, but hopefully Lemire will develop it further. I guess I’ll need to track down that Flashpoint mini-series now.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:27 am

I guess I need to buy this

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:36 am

Sounds good. Hope it gets a good run

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:16 am

Frankenstein's demeanor is hilarious, he's always like "Great God! What the hell is that?!"

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 339 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:47 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing where this series goes.

The only problem I had was the lack of consistency between this issue and Frankensten's Flashpoint series. In that series Nina was a member of a non-human amphibious race, but here she's a human scientist who altered her form. How does a simple change in time create that change? In the end, that's a minor quibble though.

Thank you Troy for the sig

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Stephen Day wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing where this series goes.

The only problem I had was the lack of consistency between this issue and Frankensten's Flashpoint series. In that series Nina was a member of a non-human amphibious race, but here she's a human scientist who altered her form. How does a simple change in time create that change? In the end, that's a minor quibble though.

I think everything from Flashpoint is best left forgotten.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:24 pm

I enjoyed this a lot. Reminded me of Frankencastle, and not just cause of the Franks, heh.

This would make my elite nu52 list along with Animal Man, Stormwatch,Batman & Robin and Action Comics

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 339 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:53 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:
I think everything from Flashpoint is best left forgotten.

Frankenstein and the Creatures of the Unknown was a fun little series though.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Mike Mercury wrote:This is an excellent first issue, the very best thing about the new DC line is that Jeff Lemire has finally seemed to find his niche at DC proper (not counting Sweet Tooth), after some fairly standard but not as compelling books before the revamp. Both of his new debuts have completely renewed my faith in him as a mainstream comics writer.

I would give this #1 a perfect score.

Counting Sweet Tooth. It's excellent.

This was a good issue, but the art was inconsistent and not all that good. Considering his past work, it was probably some of the worst stuff I've seen from him.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand