Monday, September 26, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "ISIS approved!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Gail Simone Talks Marriage at DC Comics

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Steve McCredie

FACEBOOKTron

Postby Steve McCredie » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:35 pm

If DiDio WANTS his heroes to lead dark, angsty lives then they SHOULD get married. Jean Loring, Sue Dibny etc etc OK I'm done.
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:47 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Is there a cat fucking a woman in your avatar Squid? WTF? :lol:


You just gave Cat a boner.

Or something.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:59 pm

sdsichero wrote:
You just gave Cat a boner.

Or something.


Better the devil we know.
User avatar

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:21 pm

Serious question: Who the fuck thought that Oracle and Black Canary were going to be a couple?

Like, where the hell does that come from? :lol:

fucking tumblr crowd with their fan fiction and feels. :smt011
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:46 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Is there a cat fucking a woman in your avatar Squid? WTF? :lol:



Manga is weird. And it probably has a whole genre for kitty...uh, sex without asking as well.
User avatar

SporkBot

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby SporkBot » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:04 am

TimH wrote:I agree and disagree with you--

For example, I doubt Nightwing is gay, but a gay friend of mine likes to imagine he is. There no doubt are well-intentioned lesbian fans who want their favorite characters to be lesbians.


Well, sure, everyone has their pairing fantasies. Those types (gay or straight) just like to imagine the possibilities because they think it'd be cute. I know there's one artist at DeviantArt that does cute, chibi-esque pictures, and once insinuated Cassie Cain and Steph Brown as a couple, while Tim is afraid of boobs. That doesn't bother me, because it's all meant in satire or fun. She may genuinely think Cass and Steph would make a good couple, and while I disagree, I don't hold anything against that artist. But the thing is, a lot of those shipping fantasies don't bother with things like personality or chemistry. That's how you get fan art of Aztek snuggling with Princess Bubblegum by a campfire.

Really, the intensity of some people's shipping is what gets me. How stalwart they'll be in their shipping, even if they're doing it for purely perverted reasons or if the characters have no chemistry (in which case, they'll change the characters to fit, somehow, so it's not really that character, when you think about it). I mean, a lot of times the only reason people seem to want Superman and Wonder Woman together seem to relate to color coordination or because they're powers/attitudes are so similar. I once saw an online petition (that closed after very few votes) that called for DC to "finally get Batman and Robin together, because they obviously want to" or some crap like that. It was clearly made by someone who still takes an old joke from 1960's too seriously, i.e., an idiot.

Also, there's the "now they're suddenly gay" angle (though I find the webcomic Spinnerette to be a bit of a grey area). It's like no matter how many heterosexual relationships someone has, they still "must be gay", really deep down, because shut up. Sometimes, it's workable, like with Renee Montoya: fairly obscure, not much focus on her romantic life, even though she originated in a cartoon where the series bible stated she had a husband. Or like Ultimate Colossus, where it's a (slightly?) less obscure character, but an alternate version that doesn't replace or shun the original. But doing so and not making it look like tokenism or perversion takes the right kind if finesse that not everyone has, if you ask me.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:11 am

Juan Cena wrote:

Manga is weird. And it probably has a whole genre for kitty...uh, sex without asking as well.


The image isn't from manga.
User avatar

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:02 am

doombug wrote:Serious question: Who the fuck thought that Oracle and Black Canary were going to be a couple?

Like, where the hell does that come from? :lol:

fucking tumblr crowd with their fan fiction and feels. :smt011

you mean besides what has already been discussed?
User avatar

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:28 pm

Black_Orchid wrote:I was sitting here trying to think of a committed straight couple that Gail has written.


Umm...

Sandi and... no.
Did she write any Green Arrow/Black Canary?
and there's the dude Batgirl went on a date with recently...
I remember Bane with Scandal, but that was more like a father/daughter thing, IIRC.

hmmmm... drawing a blank here.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:05 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
The image isn't from manga.


No, it isn't.
Still it involves a weird odor coming from the feline...
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Arion wrote:
No, it isn't.
Still it involves a weird odor coming from the feline...


Do you actually know where it's from?

(It's by artist Nina Bunjevac)
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:24 pm

Wait what?

There are two specific issues Simone addresses. One is that Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) and Dinah Lance (Black Canary) were never, to the best of her knowledge, going to be a couple. Apparently people have been saying that Simone planned this romance back when she was writing Birds of Prey, and DC stopped it, but Simone says that's just not true.


Seriously?
User avatar

LoganRSA

FROGMAN

Postby LoganRSA » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Do you actually know where it's from?

(It's by artist Nina Bunjevac)


Damn Canadians :smt011
User avatar

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:09 pm

SporkBot wrote:
Well, sure, everyone has their pairing fantasies. Those types (gay or straight) just like to imagine the possibilities because they think it'd be cute. I know there's one artist at DeviantArt that does cute, chibi-esque pictures, and once insinuated Cassie Cain and Steph Brown as a couple, while Tim is afraid of boobs. That doesn't bother me, because it's all meant in satire or fun. She may genuinely think Cass and Steph would make a good couple, and while I disagree, I don't hold anything against that artist.


Ptf.. still better than those who think Tim and Conner are a couple.
User avatar

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:11 pm

HNutz wrote:
Umm...

Sandi and... no.
Did she write any Green Arrow/Black Canary?
and there's the dude Batgirl went on a date with recently...
I remember Bane with Scandal, but that was more like a father/daughter thing, IIRC.

hmmmm... drawing a blank here.


Well the dude from Batgirl is now a WAS. He dead. Gail wrote Dinah and Ollie in Question Authority along with Question and Huntress. So technically YES.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests