Advertisement

Gail Simone Talks Marriage at DC Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:12 am

The fan favorite writer and vigilante crimefighter addressed the DC marriage controversy on Tumblr.

Source: Ape in a Cape

Gail Simone has a new blog post up today, in which the fan favorite writer and real life superhero shares some thoughts on the marriage controversy that spun out of the departure of J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman from Batwoman two weeks ago. You know the one. We wrote about it. The entire blogosphere did, for a week straight. Oh ok, fine, we'll go over it again.

Williams and Blackman left the book, citing constant, last minute editorial interference, a common gripe amongst former DC employees. One of the instances of editorial interference put forth as an example was the decision to not allow Batwoman Kate Kane to marry her love interest, Maggie Sawyer. Many media outlets, including very major ones, jumped all over this as "DC is against gay marriage," but the company (and Williams) quickly responded that it was the marriage part, not the gay part, that DC took issue with. You see, DC feels that their characters can't have happy lives, as that doesn't make for good grim and gritty, angst-ridden, nineties-style storytelling.

And fair enough. We believe them. Hell, they went so far as to editorially mandate that Aquaman, king of fish (or something), is not married to his queen, Mera, even though, you know, they're king and queen (of fish), which usually implies an official union. Maybe they play things fast and loose down in Atlantis, and just getting to third base with the king (or queen) automatically makes you the queen (or king) (of fish).

Marriage, gay marriage, none of that was really the issue in the first place. We know DC has absolutely no problem using gay characters to generate publicity to sell comics. It's a valuable tool, like 3D covers and crossover events, which they're more than happy to sexploit if it'll get them a writeup in USA Today. No, the issue is what it's always been: editorial interference so egregious that it drives creators to publicly abandon DC and badmouth them in public at unprecedented levels.

People are still focusing on the marriage thing, though, and that's what Simone is addressing here (and it's her blog, so who are you to complain?). There are two specific issues Simone addresses. One is that Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) and Dinah Lance (Black Canary) were never, to the best of her knowledge, going to be a couple. Apparently people have been saying that Simone planned this romance back when she was writing Birds of Prey, and DC stopped it, but Simone says that's just not true.

Secondly, she says that she had proposed a same sex marriage in Wonder Woman back in the day, between Hippolyta and Phillipus, and that Dan Didio himself approved it. This was three to five years ago, when including a gay marriage would have been more controversial, so, Simone concludes, DC can't be against gay marriage. The only reason it never happened is that Simone left the creative team before she got a chance to write it.

While Simone is probably right, and, in principle, DC has no problem with it, she overlooks two crucial points. First, if we've learned anything from all of this, it's that just because DC approves a story at one point in time does not mean it will actually make it to print. Getting plans approved by DC Editorial is a lot like going on a date with a werewolf during the full moon: they could change at any moment, and when they do, things are likely to get hairy (okay, we're not proud of that joke). Second, the very fact that people are so ready to believe DC has an anti-gay agenda, despite the company featuring gay and transgender characters in books, is because DC is just so bad at public relations, as evidenced by things like this whole hullabaloo, or the hiring of prominent and outspoken gay rights opponent Orson Scott Card to write a high profile Superman story. It's not misinformation that leads people to conclude that DC might be homophobic. It's DC's tone deafness, their seeming inability to keep their foot out of their mouth, that leads people to believe this narrative.

And that's too bad, because DC's public misfortune frequently overshadows their actual comics, a situation which is good for no one, except, perhaps, sensational comic book blogs (hi there!).

So maybe what DC should do is put Simone in charge of PR, because she makes good points in her blog post, and it's probably in this way, through direct dialogue, that DC should address all their publicity disasters, instead of blaming the fans and social media and resorting to dubious corporate double-speak about fish people.

Check out the blog post here.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Andrew Zeppolini
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Gail Simone Talks Marriage at DC Comics

Postby Andrew Zeppolini » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:59 am

Ms. Simone is either very lucky or Lex Luthor diabolical, but I've noticed she always manages to be absent while the fire is burning hot, in this case out she was out of the country. Then she gets to come in after and reap kudos as the voice of reason. Deserved kudos, but she has everyone saying we wish she was running DC. Again. If I were Didio, Lee, et al I would be scared. She's not only a socialized modern woman able to interact with the world without saying things that have been unacceptable since the 70s, she is a lot smarter then them.

locuas
Birdman

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Gail Simone Talks Marriage at DC Comics

Postby locuas » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:09 am

to be fair with Gail, i think they would have allowed it because
1) Diana's mother was not the main character, and secondary characters could be said to be an exception to the marriage rule (since you can always kill them whenever you feel like it...), and
2) amazons were already considered by a lot of people as an island full of lesbians, so it would not have come to be a shocker for a lot of WW fans(for the unintentional reasons...)
I do believe simone's statement about Barbara and BC not being a couple. i always saw them as something closer to what TVTropes debscribes as "heterosexual life partners"(or platonic life partners if one of them was/is a lesbian), as in, very close, but always as friends. Like Dick and Donna before DC decided to get rid of Donna.
Then again, i do believe Barbara should end in a threesome with Dick and starfire AS GOD INTENDED!(ok, that last one was a joke)

locuas
Birdman

Postby locuas » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:12 am

also, i am pretty sure DC is happy with their decision of rehiring Gail, am i right?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:26 am

I think they just want most of the characters in their new DCU to be younger and less settled, both heroes and villains. Bunch of old farts on the internet whining about it.

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:39 am

Victorian Squid wrote:I think they just want most of the characters in their new DCU to be younger and less settled, both heroes and villains. Bunch of old farts on the internet whining about it.

Don't make me smack you with my walker.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:41 am

I hope not, my arthritis is actin' up agin.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:48 am

Is there a cat fucking a woman in your avatar Squid? WTF? :lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

TimH
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby TimH » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:06 am

even though, you know, they're king and queen (of fish), which usually implies an official union.

A lot of kings and queens aren't ready for that level of commitment.

I'm sure Aquaman and Mera are both totally cool with each other's independence. Prince Namor has Mera on speed dial.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:09 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Is there a cat fucking a woman in your avatar Squid? WTF? :lol:

She's got her panties on still!

I like to look at it and make up a story. I think the cat was all set to get laid and she was into it and all until he let out one of those silent but deadly cat farts--you can see him farting in the pic there, and that's clearly what repelled her more than the beastiality of it all. It's from a comic I plan to read, though, and maybe the actual story is different.

WTF, is this the first post of mine you've read in weeks or something?! :x

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:14 am

Not to mention, most cats would prefer to mount females from behind and claw the shit out of their backs. This was foreplay with feline gone afoul, I fear.

TimH
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby TimH » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:14 am

One is that Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) and Dinah Lance (Black Canary) were never, to the best of her knowledge, going to be a couple.

Holy Crap! Time out, Gay Moral Majority!

Is there anything about Dinah or Babs' past actions to suggest lesbian inclinations? Dinah is about as hetero as it gets, cavorting only with the sort of cheating jerks we always hated in high school because they always commanded the unconditional affection of the girls who regarded us as "so nice, don't ever change."

NOT EVERYBODY IS GAY. It's sort of trivializing to believe human beings can't form friendships, regardless of gender. It's all budding bromance just waiting for a thunderstorm and tight squeeze under an umbrella to blossom.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:33 am

Comics are always just a pussy hair's length away from being slash/fic anyway, and Gail Simone is a professional fanfic writer, so this does not surprise me.

locuas
Birdman

Postby locuas » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:35 am

actually, Gail has come to say that, when writing BoP, she wrote BC as bisexual, and she was supposed to say "i am 75% straight" in one issue, but there was a mistake and it say 100% straight.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:04 pm

TimH wrote:
Holy Crap! Time out, Gay Moral Majority!

Is there anything about Dinah or Babs' past actions to suggest lesbian inclinations? Dinah is about as hetero as it gets, cavorting only with the sort of cheating jerks we always hated in high school because they always commanded the unconditional affection of the girls who regarded us as "so nice, don't ever change."

NOT EVERYBODY IS GAY. It's sort of trivializing to believe human beings can't form friendships, regardless of gender. It's all budding bromance just waiting for a thunderstorm and tight squeeze under an umbrella to blossom.

I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand