Advertisement

In General, Has Comics Art Improved over the Years?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 540 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: In General, Has Comics Art Improved over the Years?

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:28 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

To be honest, I kind like the Avengeline cover better (though it isn't that great). The Dr. Strange cover may actually too over-designed with the frame and the skull and the tentacles and everything. It all kind of overwhelms Dr Strange on the cover. The colors aren't too pleasing, either.

In the history of people being wrong, you are the wrongest person to ever live. About everything.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

5 people like this post.

Advertisement

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:35 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
In the history of people being wrong, you are the wrongest person to ever live. About everything.

I think what Nac meant to ask was 'would you rather be on the toilet with a copy of that Dr Strange issue or Avengelyne?'

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 403 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:27 am

fieldy snuts wrote:
I think what Nac meant to ask was 'would you rather be on the toilet with a copy of that Dr Strange issue or Avengelyne?'

If it's Nac, we all know what he prefers...

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 81 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:31 am

I guess I'll be the vote of dissent but I do believe that current comic book art is better. It's certainly not a case of every current artist of being great but more that the people remember the great artists but forgot the bad or mediocre ones. Twenty years down the line and people will be reminiscing about art by Marcos Martin and Jeff Lemire while forgetting the Greg Land's and Brett Booth's of the present. There are still plenty of past creators still making great art such as in the case of John Byrne, Bernie Wrightson, Sergio Aragones, Jim Steranko, Mike Mignola, Sean Phillips, and even Jim Lee and Bruce Timm so I think to refer to them as just past artists is insulting to their skill.

Furthermore, a lot of past artists were doing a "house" style that the companies wanted them to do so innovation and style was repressed. Will Eisner is easily one of the absolute best comic artists ever and he had to do his own damn series and stories to truly be great. Wally Wood was rebellious and could've easily have been a bigger success now or in the 80's or 90's than he was in the past. Also, as much as I, and every one of us, love the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Avengers, who knows what Jack Kirby could've done if he wasn't working with Stan Lee for so long in the 60's and 70's?

The other thing too is that artists right now and in the near future will probably get more innovative and artistic as Kickstarter and other internet sites make it easier to get noticed and self-published and as companies like Image and Marvel take risks to make books like Saga and Hawkeye.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:24 am

john lewis hawk wrote:Furthermore, a lot of past artists were doing a "house" style that the companies wanted them to do so innovation and style was repressed

It cuts both ways, sometimes for the best and sometimes for the worst. Here's a JRJR comparion:

I thinkthe last work he did that I enjoyed was with Mark Millar on Wolverine. Here was one of the first pages he did there....it shows that as bad as he got during the Avengers his art truly did hit a great high during modern times:

While Salvador Larocca went from this:

to this:

and finally this:

habitual likes this post.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 81 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:26 am

I think JRJR's runs on Amazing Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Kick-Ass were definitely when his art was at his best but as for those Iron Man's, it's a tough call. I've always had a problem with Iron Man's suit not being realistic in art with regard to the suit being depicted too much like regular tights. It's too fluid as in that first image I would think that position wouldn't be possible while the second one has a more realistic look. It's not as glamorous (or as good artistically) but it's more realistic which is why Rob Liefeld's art is shit too.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 540 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:39 am

JRJr's art would be more tolerable if everyone didn't look like they were related and no one had fingers made out of rectangular pieces of cardboard.

GiveWarAChance
penile prisoner

Liked in: 622 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:41 am

My favorite work of JRJR is on his first runs on Uncanny X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man, with Daredevil possibly being my favorite. I couldn't stand his art on Avengers and his second run on Uncanny X-Men. His newer stuff has been really hit or miss, but I did enjoy his later work on Amazing and Wolverine.

Spektre
dINGO

Liked in: 111 posts

Postby Spektre » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:12 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:

Don't worry. According to Jude there are a lot of us tied for this honor ;)
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby UnionJack » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:21 am

I don't get the criticism of JRJR's work - I think he's one of the greats. If he's doing the art chores I'm a sure bet to buy whatever the book is. Looking forward to Superman.

GiveWarAChance
penile prisoner

Liked in: 622 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:30 am

UnionJack wrote:I don't get the criticism of JRJR's work - I think he's one of the greats. If he's doing the art chores I'm a sure bet to buy whatever the book is. Looking forward to Superman.

I think this speaks for itself.

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby UnionJack » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:36 am

GiveWarAChance wrote:I think this speaks for itself.

Hey, it was an off-period. Could you turn out your best work drawing the shitty AvX Event? :wink:

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 50 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:02 am

fieldy snuts wrote:
It cuts both ways, sometimes for the best and sometimes for the worst. Here's a JRJR comparion:

I thinkthe last work he did that I enjoyed was with Mark Millar on Wolverine. Here was one of the first pages he did there....it shows that as bad as he got during the Avengers his art truly did hit a great high during modern times:

While Salvador Larocca went from this:

to this:

and finally this:

That middle panel is by Harvey Talibao, iirc.

Here's an example of Larocca's work from around that time:

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:19 am

For real? I thought it was Larocca because it looks similar to what he was trying in Dennis Hopeless's Cable and X-Force book.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:54 am

It's easy to cherry pick pieces to prove your argument either way. Holding up any two pages for comparison is pointless. Even individual artists have pages that are outliers in both directions. Your question was In General, Has Comics Art Improved over the Years? I would have to say yes.

For one thing, today's art process has greatly improved. The digital inks and colors make even mediocre line work pop; they make good lines jump off the page, and great lines turn into instant classics. Indie comics that don't adhere to a house style look so much better now. They used to all look like very cheap xerox pages of pencil drawings, and the equivalent stuff has a professional quality now.

When I look over the rack, I see a lot of good, bold and interesting art grabbing my eye, more than the old days. Is there crap, too? Absofuckinglutely. But OP asked about overall, not specific, so I'll say yes.

Now, the other questions that people are addressing are composition and storytelling, especially of covers. These have definitely gone down. Covers are made to be posters, now. They have less to do with the interior story than ever before. Editors and artists freely admit that they often create covers months in advance without ever seeing the script or knowing the story. (I rarely vote for pin-up covers in Cover of the Week because I hate this trend.) Ironically, the artwork and creativity on covers like this can be wonderful. Frex, the Fearless Defenders covers blew me away! And yet, I never read a single issue. No desire to crack it open at all. But damn those covers were great!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand