Advertisement

Geoff Johns to Ruin More Characters in New Justice League of America with David Finch

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Geoff Johns to Ruin More Characters in New Justice League of America with David Finch

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:16 pm

Not content with writing the worst iterations ever of Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Batman, and the Flash in Justice League, Johns will be launching a new Justice League of America book with David Finch and a whole new cast.

Source: Newsarama

At Toronto Fan Expo this weekend, DC Comics announced a new Justice League title by Geoff Johns and David Finch. Justice League of America will feature a different cast than Justice League: clockwise from left in the picture are Vibe, Catwoman, Steve Trevor, Green Lantern Baz, Stargirl, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Katana, and the Martian Manhunter. The extended cast gives Johns the opportunity to write a whole new group of characters as bickering, immature 12 year olds.

"It worked so well in Justice League," said Johns, we imagine. "It's actually a part of DC's master plan to write comics geared at an audience of people with the mentality of 12 year old boys, in the hopes of recapturing the success the industry experienced in the nineties."

The plan was working smoothly, with DC sales up overall, but has run into some obstacles, with Rob Liefeld's Charlie Sheen-like Twitter meltdown over the past week being the latest example. Liefeld, the poster child for juvenile nineties comics, had been writing 10% of DC's output. "You reap what you sow," said Johns (not really - he won't talk to us).

Johns would not confirm that this third Justice League team would set the stage for DC's upcoming Trinity War crossover event, saying instead (in this article's only real quote), "It could be, but you’re a little off."

As to worries that Johns might be taking on too much work to keep up a montly schedule, the writer was not concerned. "We can always just get a bunch of boys in a room, give them some JLA action figures, and write down what they're saying. With decompression, we could get a whole year's worth of stories out of that," said Johns before picking up a Wonder Woman and Superman action figure and pressing them against each other and making smooching noises. "Oh Wonder woman, you so sexy, I wanna kiss you face, mmmm mmm mmmmm," he said. We backed away slowly.

Thanks to Outhouse staff writer ElijahSnowFan for alerting us to this news by posting an article on the forums, instead of on the front page. :P

Head over to MTV Geek to read a more extensive and non-fictional interview with Johns about the book.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 480 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Re: Geoff Johns' new Justice League of America

Postby e_galston » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:22 pm

I love that Stargirl is back.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:29 pm

I'm also a fan of "more characters, not fewer."

So no, I'm not going to take the obvious shot at Vibe. His introduction was during an era where not a lot of new characters did well, on a Justice League team that no one asked for and/or wanted.

New era, new start. I think the character will likely be fine.

I guess I should be clear about this: I think this is a time for DC for Johns to step forward and stabilize some of these characters, in the regard of the team book.

It's easy to take shots at a Rob Liefeld-written Hawkman, or the ugliest costume I've ever seen in Katana.

But what's most important is that readers who have not taken a look at New 52 Hawkman, or Katana/Birds of Prey -- Johns has to take this set of characters and make people want to read their solo adventures.

I don't think DC will fall off a cliff in the next six months. But the choices of some of their creative teams, the instability on the books, has certainly made me not pick up a few books.

It would be nice if Johns made me feel more at ease about picking up, say, Hawkman, now that Liefeld's gone.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Meh. I've read Justice League Detroit before. Good to see Stargirl back however, and a place for Hawkman after the inevitable cancellation of his series. Meh to changing Stargirl though.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 480 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:31 pm

achilles wrote:Meh. I've read Justice League Detroit before. Good to see Stargirl back however, and a place for Hawkman after the inevitable cancellation of his series. Meh to changing Stargirl though.

what have they changed about Courtney?? she looks pretty spot on from the picture. ONly thing is she doesn't have the Staff, but who knows if it was just left out.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:32 pm

In my interview with David Finch he said that it would have to be a Justice League book with Batman and Superman to get him away from Dark Knight...this is not the Justice league book he wanted so I'm curious to see if he leaves it he has also moved to doing everything himself digitally which could mean he could do two books a month.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:34 pm

achilles wrote:Meh. I've read Justice League Detroit before. Good to see Stargirl back however, and a place for Hawkman after the inevitable cancellation of his series. Meh to changing Stargirl though.

I don't know. That's easily a better lineup than the Detroit League ever had. Green Arrow, a Green Lantern, Hawkman, Catwoman, Stargirl...that's just a better lineup than the Detroit League.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:36 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:In my interview with David Finch he said that it would have to be a Justice League book with Batman and Superman to get him away from Dark Knight...this is not the Justice league book he wanted so I'm curious to see if he leaves it he has also moved to doing everything himself digitally which could mean he could do two books a month.

You'd have to think that Lee's not long for the main book, you know? I'm actually amazed he's done as many issues as he has. I've seen the rumors about Reis leaving Aquaman, for instance. It seems to me that Finch will probably have a chance at the Supes/Batman League before long.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:40 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
You'd have to think that Lee's not long for the main book, you know? I'm actually amazed he's done as many issues as he has. I've seen the rumors about Reis leaving Aquaman, for instance. It seems to me that Finch will probably have a chance at the Supes/Batman League before long.

Isn't Reis already confirmed for JL?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:42 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
Isn't Reis already confirmed for JL?

Is he? I hadn't seen that -- I was out of the loop for about 10 days, so I could've easily missed that. Great news, if so.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 615 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:45 pm

I don't get MM's costume, either.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 138 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:54 pm

So can we add Dan Jurgens to the list of writers Geoff Johns has screwed over with Mark Waid, Dwayne McDuffie, and James Robinson?

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:57 pm

The Nacireman wrote:So can we add Dan Jurgens to the list of writers Geoff Johns has screwed over with Mark Waid, Dwayne McDuffie, and James Robinson?

WOW. Good Lord.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't people not like Justice League International from the start? How the hell was that Johns' fault?

I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but holy hell, where does that come from?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 138 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:07 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
WOW. Good Lord.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't people not like Justice League International from the start? How the hell was that Johns' fault?

I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but holy hell, where does that come from?

It was still selling around 30K at Issue 10, which is still pretty good considering where some Nu52 books are selling (*cough* Legion *cough*). So somebody had to like it.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 464 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Just looks like another book from DC that I have little to no interest in reading.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand