Advertisement

Gerry Conway Starts Blog to Ensure DC Pays Creators

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby LOLtron » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:04 pm

A new project by Gerry Conway asks fans to crowdsource creator's creations to ensure they get paid.

Source: Comics Equity Blog

Here's a fun little peak behind the curtain.  Gerry Conway has started up a new blog entitled "The Comics Equity Project" asking fans to assist creators in ensuring that they receive royalties for their work.  Basically, starting in the mid-70s, DC began a program called "equity participation", which allowed creators to earn a share of the profit generated by a creator's creations.  Awesome, right?  Well, the only problem is that DC doesn't actually track what characters creators have rights to, leaving the onus on creators to track their creations and claim creator rights.

Conway stated he was inspired to start up the Comics Equity Program after learning that Felicity Smoak, a supporting character he created in Firestorm, was being used in Arrow.  Conway never expected that Smoak would wind up on any TV show and hadn't filled out the paperwork to receive his share of the profits. Now he's calling on fans to help out by coming up with a comprehensive list of creations that various creators have worked on and filling out a simple "Character Equity Request Form" for creators to file to ensure that they get paid for their creations. 

While I think it's a bit much for Conway to ask fans to bear the brunt of the burden in making sure creators are owed what they're due, it's even more ridiculous that WB is telling creators that they need to file paperwork for very character they've ever created in order to receive royalties.  And while corporate apologists will claim that creators should be grateful that such a program exists, I don't see why it should fall on the employee to make sure they get paid.  Then again, corporate apologists are the sort of people who think that we should charge families for the bullets used to execute family members, so c'est la vie.

Anyways, if you want to help Conway (and other creators) out, the blog can be found here.  I'm personally looking forward to the comments praising DC for only passively screwing over creators in the comments below. 

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Gerry Conway Starts Blog to Ensure DC Pays Creators

Postby habitual » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:35 pm

This must be the social media that Didio was referring too :lol:

Hab

GHERU
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby GHERU » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:41 pm

ok, this is even more annoying than a kickstarter
yea, it sucks that creators have to file paperwork to get what they are entitled, but to ask your fans to act as your TA's, that's a bit much
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 0 post
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:45 pm

It's ridiculous to file paperwork to get paid?

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:57 pm

superfictious wrote:It's ridiculous to file paperwork to get paid?

It's one thing if you're asking to be reimbursed for expenses accrued or something similar, it's another to use characters that you've agreed to share profit with the creator, and then not pay them because they didn't file additional paperwork. It screams of trying to use bureaucracy to keep people from receiving benefits that they're entitled to.

I do agree with RU, though, that Conway asking the fans is equally BS.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby dairydead » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:59 pm

Corporate apologists= people who have a basic understanding of how businesses can work?

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:06 pm

dairydead wrote:Corporate apologists= people who have a basic understanding of how businesses can work?

I've managed both 1099 and W-2 employees for a few different companies and there's no question that what DC did back in the 70's was/is entirely shady.

I would guess Conway has no other recourse as the legal fees would probably be much higher than the payout.

Hab

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:14 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
It's one thing if you're asking to be reimbursed for expenses accrued or something similar, it's another to use characters that you've agreed to share profit with the creator, and then not pay them because they didn't file additional paperwork. It screams of trying to use bureaucracy to keep people from receiving benefits that they're entitled to.

I do agree with RU, though, that Conway asking the fans is equally BS.

I guess I'd be more inclined to make a judgment only after filling out the paperwork resulted in no payment.

I don't like bureaucracy any more than the next person, but one way or another if someone's going to get money legally owed them, and not just paid out of courtesy, paperwork better be involved.

And I don't have any problem with what Gerry's doing here. Creator rights only comes with creator, and fan, involvement.

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Doesn't this also apply to storylines a writer make create which then get used in say a movie?

I can see not being able to keep track of all the sundry little plot threads you've created over the course of a twenty or thirty year career that might become the basis for a movie.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 30 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Always go crying to the fans.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:13 pm

I mean, yeah, it is a lot to ask, but fans seem to keep better track of this stuff than companies and creators.

Rick Lundeen
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Gerry Conway Starts Blog to Ensure DC Pays Creators

Postby Rick Lundeen » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:35 pm

I think it's a smart move on Conway's part because he knows that there are a LOT of people out there who have a lot of time on their hands and create massive lists of trivia and nonsense. This seems right up the alley of some of those folks, so why not take a shot?

LoatheMe
Tip Top Dancer

Postby LoatheMe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:45 pm

So what about tax forms and contracts and etc.? If I don't bother to fill any of that out they should just pay me anyway because none of that silly administrative stuff is my problem right?

LoatheMe
Tip Top Dancer

Postby LoatheMe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:48 pm

I mean sure it sucks that DC was surely just hoping that most people would just not bother to take a few minutes to fill out this form so they could save themselves some money, but if you knew about it and just couldn't be bothered, but now are suddenly regretting it because there's suddenly money involved that you never thought would be? C'mon. Take some responsibility for yourself.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Re: RE: Gerry Conway Starts Blog to Ensure DC Pays Creators

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:04 pm

FBtron wrote:I think it's a smart move on Conway's part because he knows that there are a LOT of people out there who have a lot of time on their hands and create massive lists of trivia and nonsense. This seems right up the alley of some of those folks, so why not take a shot?

exactly!

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand