Advertisement

Get Ready For The Shitstorm: DC Edition [SPOILERS for JLA #4]

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Michael King
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 195 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Get Ready For The Shitstorm: DC Edition [SPOILERS for JLA #4]

Postby Michael King » Fri May 31, 2013 6:53 pm

Will this get taken back when it's revealed in the next issue or two that it wasn't really Catwoman who got killed (or that Catwoman just wasn't killed or whatever the explanation will be)?

Advertisement

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Re: RE: Get Ready For The Shitstorm: DC Edition [SPOILERS fo

Postby BlueStreak » Fri May 31, 2013 7:02 pm

FBtron wrote:Will this get taken back when it's revealed in the next issue or two that it wasn't really Catwoman who got killed (or that Catwoman just wasn't killed or whatever the explanation will be)?

Will it somehow physically erase a needlessly graphic scene depicting the death of a female character for the sole purpose of affecting a male superhero? If not, then no.

Michael King
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 195 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Get Ready For The Shitstorm: DC Edition [SPOILERS for JLA #4]

Postby Michael King » Fri May 31, 2013 9:19 pm

BlueStreak wrote:

"Will it somehow physically erase a needlessly graphic scene depicting the death of a female character for the sole purpose of affecting a male superhero? If not, then no."

Fair enough. Just wondering.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Re: Get Ready For The Shitstorm: DC Edition [SPOILERS for JL

Postby superfictious » Fri May 31, 2013 9:43 pm

Tits and a whip doesn't make her death any more special than if it were Nightwing or Alfred taking the bullet.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Fri May 31, 2013 9:46 pm

Breasts and a whip doesn't make her death any more special than if it were Nightwing or Alfred taking the bullet. It was graphic and gratuitous, sure, but nothing uncommon, nothing irreversible, and if it serves a greater narrative purpose, then it's all good. Too early to know for sure, though.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:16 am

Zero wrote:
Stop prodding the feminists!!

I can't help it!

Anyways, there is no way Catwoman is actually dead so this whole thing is fucking stupid.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:19 am

There's a big difference between killing a character and writing a cliffhanger.

This is a cliffhanger.

I don't understand why everyone is talking about this like they're actually killing Catwoman. (Not that I would mind seeing her dead, personally.) The story's not over. She's not dead. Sheesh.

Food Eater lad
cheese

Liked in: 19 posts

Postby Food Eater lad » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:05 am

All I am saying is that if she were in the kitchen, making Batman a sandwich, then she wouldn't have been shot.
"Diversity equals division"

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Postby Mr. Log » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:56 am

Food Eater lad wrote:All I am saying is that if she were in the kitchen, making Batman a sandwich, then she wouldn't have been shot.

That's the first sensible thing anyone has said!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 959 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:04 am

Log-Man wrote:There's a big difference between killing a character and writing a cliffhanger.

This is a cliffhanger.

I don't understand why everyone is talking about this like they're actually killing Catwoman. (Not that I would mind seeing her dead, personally.) The story's not over. She's not dead. Sheesh.

The issue is that it's been established that the comics industry, and DC in particular, has a bad habit of using female characters as props to be raped, tortured, killed, or stuffed in refrigerators for the purpose of affecting male characters. So when they do it again so graphically, even if it's just temporary or a red herring, it calls attention to all the other times they did it.

Whether you agree or not, you can certainly see how it would be inviting exactly this kind of criticism.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Postby Mr. Log » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:25 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
The issue is that it's been established that the comics industry, and DC in particular, has a bad habit of using female characters as props to be raped, tortured, killed, or stuffed in refrigerators for the purpose of affecting male characters. So when they do it again so graphically, even if it's just temporary or a red herring, it calls attention to all the other times they did it.

Whether you agree or not, you can certainly see how it would be inviting exactly this kind of criticism.

I understand the fridging aspect (btw, I love that "fridge" is now a verb) but that's not what I'm talking about. People here and on other boards seems to be treating this as a 'genuine' death, going so far as to guess who the new Catwoman will be. It just seems rather pointless to me. No, that's not it. It's just flat out missing the point. This used to be the way stories were told all the time. As I say, it's a classic cliffhanger. But we've become so jaded to the useless and lazy shock value of character deaths that we attack that immediately without even thinking if this is even an appropriate case.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 959 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:30 am

Log-Man wrote:
I understand the fridging aspect (btw, I love that "fridge" is now a verb) but that's not what I'm talking about. People here and on other boards seems to be treating this as a 'genuine' death, going so far as to guess who the new Catwoman will be. It just seems rather pointless to me. No, that's not it. It's just flat out missing the point. This used to be the way stories were told all the time. As I say, it's a classic cliffhanger. But we've become so jaded to the useless and lazy shock value of character deaths that we attack that immediately without even thinking if this is even an appropriate case.

Again though, is that the fault of jaded fans, or the fault of publishers who overuse the "shocking character death" at every opportunity?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:45 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Again though, is that the fault of jaded fans, or the fault of publishers who overuse the "shocking character death" at every opportunity?

Fans who've been reading comic books long enough to know better. You can't blame publishers and creators for every overreaction of fandom.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 417 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Was the moral outrage as high when this happened ? Serious question. I don't remember what the on-line reaction was.

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:38 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Was the moral outrage as high when this happened ? Serious question. I don't remember what the on-line reaction was.

I don't remember there being any outrage but then again I also remember the character being hated almost as much as her AMC series counterpart was. So I am guessing that nobody has ever liked the character enough to be outraged about her death. :smt102
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand