Advertisement

Get Ready For The Shitstorm: DC Edition [SPOILERS for JLA #4]

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

legoroni
Attorney at Law

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Get Ready For The Shitstorm: DC Edition [SPOILERS for JL

Postby legoroni » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:15 am

This is probably someone pretending to be Catwoman. I can't see DC killing her off. Plus, she currently has an ongoing which isn't ending

Advertisement

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 121 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:58 am

Don't think we'd get lucky enough and find out it was really Harper Row.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:34 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Was the moral outrage as high when this happened ? Serious question. I don't remember what the on-line reaction was.

Since Image doesn't have the same rep as DC for "fridging women", its not relally relevant.

I'd also argue that TWD is a comic written for a much older audience than JLA.

Hab

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:47 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Was the moral outrage as high when this happened ? Serious question. I don't remember what the on-line reaction was.

You know they were killed by a woman, right? :wink:

Do you really read the book and remember the circumstances of that death (and yeah, many people were upset about it, but...)?

The Gov. bullies one of the women under his control to fire as the escapees flee, cutting Lori and the baby down. But afterwards, grief-stricken with what she's done, she flips and kills The Governor.
First off, there's a lot more going on there. Secondly, there's a resolution that follows, not a typical superhero comic book story of the usual dupes or mistaken identities drawn out for who knows how many issues.

BUT, having said all that, all you have to do is google "Robert Kirkman sexism misogyny" to see that the guy has gotten his share of online chastising--most recently for his comment that women are physically weaker according to science!

The reaction from readers seemed stronger in the letters columns when Glenn was killed, because a) readers actually liked the character, b) there was no near-immediate retribution for the killer.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 338 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:48 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:The issue is that it's been established that the comics industry, and DC in particular, has a bad habit of using female characters as props to be raped, tortured, killed, or stuffed in refrigerators for the purpose of affecting male characters. So when they do it again so graphically, even if it's just temporary or a red herring, it calls attention to all the other times they did it.

Whether you agree or not, you can certainly see how it would be inviting exactly this kind of criticism.

Interesting point. But then where was the Front Page article of righteous indignation over this cover from just last month :smt017

Which surely then must have dug up the emotional impact of these previous disturbingly dark and edgy moments :P

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 757 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:21 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Interesting point. But then where was the Front Page article of righteous indignation over this cover from just last month :smt017

Which surely then must have dug up the emotional impact of these previous disturbingly dark and edgy moments :P

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Can't see the cover, so can't respond. :P
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:23 pm

I don't have the slightest idea who that is on that cover.

Maybe it's because no one cared? :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:25 pm

IvC, one of those images is of consensual sex between two people who would later get married and have a kid, it doesn't really fit.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Now I see it. I do remember seeing that cover and finding it absurd that what appears to be a somewhat shiny vinyl or leather outfit still allows Monet's ribs and belly button still show through it.

But as for her death itself, it was built up to for a while and clearly meant to have emotional impact on its own and wasn't meant, let alone implicitly stated, to be for the purpose of affecting a male character.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Punchy wrote:IvC, one of those images is of consensual sex between two people who would later get married and have a kid, it doesn't really fit.

Yeah, and she's gritting her teeth out of ecstacy :lol:
Oh no, it's out of "pain ... humility .. anger"

I don't think Hallmark makes a card for that :lol:

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:But as for her death itself, it was built up to for a while and clearly meant to have emotional impact on its own and wasn't meant, let alone implicitly stated, to be for the purpose of affecting a male character.

So graphic violence against women is cool as long as it's for emotional impact. That explains nailing Jubilee to a cross.
Gotcha :lol:
Last edited by IvCNuB4 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 993 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:53 pm

Punchy wrote:IvC, one of those images is of consensual sex between two people who would later get married and have a kid, it doesn't really fit.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that they didn't conceive their child on that particular night... :smt102
ImageImageImage

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:00 pm

Grayson wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that they didn't conceive their child on that particular night... :smt102

Dude, we're talking about a universe where Carol Danver's own son impregnated her so he could be born :lol:

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 993 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:05 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Dude, we're talking about a universe where Carol Danver's own son impregnated her so he could be born :lol:

Carol Danver's own son impregnating her so he could be born is more plausible than Luke Cage impregnating Jessica Jones while giving her the old Nutter Butter Fudge Slide. :P
ImageImageImage

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:08 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Yeah, and she's gritting her teeth out of ecstacy :lol:
Oh no, it's out of "pain ... humility .. anger"

I don't think Hallmark makes a card for that :lol:

So graphic violence against women is cool as long as it's for emotional impact. That explains nailing Jubilee to a cross.
Gotcha :lol:

It's not okay. :lol: I don't know why you get the impression I'm defending Marvel. When Marvel gets my attention, I make fun of them the same as anyone else. I mean, you WERE around for the entirety of the Avengers vs. X-Men event, right?

I think Marvel just plays it smart. We only received one press release from them last week, the one about the website revamp (which I made fun of). I think they may have covertly almost-blacklisted us, but are smart enough to stay quiet about it instead of dumbly bringing Zechs in a room to berate him so we can muckrake to great profit in response. :P

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Also, Nac bitched and moaned about that X-Factor cover, IIRC.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand