Sunday, September 25, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "Blacklisted since 2012."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Arion wrote:
Perez's Wonder Woman was great. I'm reading Simonson's Thor first volume now. Busiek's Astro City is brilliant.

But we still have good comics nowadays, don't we?

Sure we do.

At Marvel, Image, Vertigo, Thrillbent, and Oni.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:52 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
You might want to check if some of your pages are stuck together. :wink:
"Supergirl" has had numerous narratives and a multitude of flashbacks showing her life on Krypton and explaining how it has shaped and affected her in the present.

Granted she was inexplicably a dumb blonde through the entire "H'El On earth" arc :lol:

And FYI, Robinson wasn't fired from "Earth 2". He chose to walk away.


Or was driven off. :P It's hard to keep track.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:14 pm

chap22 wrote:Sure we do.

At Marvel, Image, Vertigo, Thrillbent, and Oni.


Until they screw that away with event crossovers AGAIN.

Oh wait... jury's still out on if that is happening again now.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:16 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Or was driven off. :P It's hard to keep track.


He drove himself off. He looked at his Golden Age series, this series and screamed in horror at what he had done for money recently. :P
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:16 pm

chap22 wrote:Sure we do.

At Marvel, Image, Vertigo, Thrillbent, and Oni.


Don't forget about Dark Horse, Red 5, and Valiant! 8)

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Grayson wrote:
Don't forget about Dark Horse, Red 5, and Valiant! 8)


IDW, Dynamite, Antarctic Press...
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:13 pm

chap22 wrote:Sure we do.

At Marvel, Image, Vertigo, Thrillbent, and Oni.


Yeah, Marvel is doing better than DC. And Image and Vertigo have been consistently good in the past few years. I can't say anything about Thrillbent, I'm not familiar with it.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Until they screw that away with event crossovers AGAIN.

Oh wait... jury's still out on if that is happening again now.

No it's not. Hawkeye, Thor, DD, Hulk, the X-books, the Avengers books all still good. Nothing has been screwed up
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Arion wrote:
Yeah, Marvel is doing better than DC. And Image and Vertigo have been consistently good in the past few years. I can't say anything about Thrillbent, I'm not familiar with it.

It's Waid's independent digital publisher. I really, really liked Insufferable.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:35 pm

chap22 wrote:No it's not. Hawkeye, Thor, DD, Hulk, the X-books, the Avengers books all still good. Nothing has been screwed up


Agreed, there's still lots of good stuff being done by Marvel that you can just read as a stand alone series.

Sorry Cat, you're a poster i like, but you're not being rational when it comes to this argument.
User avatar

Chessack

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Chessack » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:54 pm

chap22 wrote:No it's not. Hawkeye, Thor, DD, Hulk, the X-books, the Avengers books all still good. Nothing has been screwed up


Are the Avengers and X-books crossover-free? Because Cat's original complaint, the thing that is getting him "pissed off again" with comics is all the cross-title reading that we have to do to follow a story.

I've heard this same argument from my comic shop owner about DC. When I complained about all the events, he insisted that this Trinity War/Forever Evil garbage is "the first time" DC has done this with the New 52. I said, "What about Death of the Family, H'el on Earth, etc?" and he said, "Well those are just within a given family."

It seems like for some folks, if the crossover is within a related group of books or a family, it's "not really a crossover." Maybe that's true for some of you here. But for me, a crossover is a crossover -- because no matter how you slice it, the whole thing is still a gimmick by DC or Marvel to try and force my hand as a customer, and make me buy the books within that family that I am not reading. Maybe most people either read the whole family, or none of it, but I am not one of those people.

If Cat isn't either, then telling him to read X-books when he doesn't want to read books full of crossovers is counter-productive (as well as inaccurate).
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:57 pm

Chessack wrote:
Are the Avengers and X-books crossover-free? Because Cat's original complaint, the thing that is getting him "pissed off again" with comics is all the cross-title reading that we have to do to follow a story.

I've heard this same argument from my comic shop owner about DC. When I complained about all the events, he insisted that this Trinity War/Forever Evil garbage is "the first time" DC has done this with the New 52. I said, "What about Death of the Family, H'el on Earth, etc?" and he said, "Well those are just within a given family."

It seems like for some folks, if the crossover is within a related group of books or a family, it's "not really a crossover." Maybe that's true for some of you here. But for me, a crossover is a crossover -- because no matter how you slice it, the whole thing is still a gimmick by DC or Marvel to try and force my hand as a customer, and make me buy the books within that family that I am not reading. Maybe most people either read the whole family, or none of it, but I am not one of those people.

If Cat isn't either, then telling him to read X-books when he doesn't want to read books full of crossovers is counter-productive (as well as inaccurate).


But that ignores Hawkeye and Daredevil, good examples of books that are on long runs with no crossovers what so ever. Both of which were also recommended by Chap and recommendations I personally agree with.
User avatar

Chessack

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Chessack » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:13 pm

I'm not ignoring them. The statement I quoted listed Avengers and X-Men as examples that "nothing has been screwed up" and another poster quoted that list, including those two series, and said that lots of Marvel books are stand-alones. Those two book groups are not stand-alones. That's all I was pointing out.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:23 pm

Chessack wrote:I'm not ignoring them. The statement I quoted listed Avengers and X-Men as examples that "nothing has been screwed up" and another poster quoted that list, including those two series, and said that lots of Marvel books are stand-alones. Those two book groups are not stand-alones. That's all I was pointing out.

The argument has shifted, though. The question I answered was whether we still had good books or not. I replied we did, and listed the Avengers and X-books. Yes, they are in a crossover right now. If you want to bitch about that forcing you to spend more, that's certainly your right. And it's a different argument. B/c not all crossovers are bad. And, IMMO, crossover or not, those two lines of books right now are still good books. Whereas the DC crossovers have been shit.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:47 pm

chap22 wrote:It's Waid's independent digital publisher. I really, really liked Insufferable.


Oh, that explains it. I'm not really into digital stuff.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests