Advertisement

I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 270 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby Chessack » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Lord Simian wrote:Eh. I'm sure somebody likes the current state of affairs, but I read comics for light hearted escapism. Not superheroes who've been written so far into the darker sides that, for example, one can be replaced by their deadliest enemy and no one notices. :smt102

I am there with you 100%.

The only thing I would maybe slightly amend is that I think DC is trying to copy the Marvel "everyone has a dark side" theme -- look at what they are doing with Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. Characters who used to be paragons.

I guess they think paragons are boring... and maybe the sales bear that out. But I miss the paragons... and as you say, the light-hearted stuff. Not all the way back to Silver Age... but Bronze Age maybe.

Advertisement

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 406 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:49 pm

This should be more up Cat's alley...

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:22 pm

Daredevil and Hawkeye.

Or indie books.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 52 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:04 am

Buy older stuff works for me

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:50 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Again, I say, for any lapsed super hero fans: Bendis. X-Men. I know it's counterintuitive, but try it and you'll see. Get he first trade of All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men.

The trades aren't available until next year (January and March respectively, if my memory hasn't completely deteriorated). I've got 'em on pre-order... waiting. :(

The HC's are available for both, though. I've heard some bad things about their construction and readability but that could carry over to the trades.

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:52 am

I think the early nineties get a bad rap in comic. Sure, it was the heyday of the big event comic, and twenty million alternate covers, but both of the big two managed to do some good work amidst all of that. And there was more emphasis in them toward smaller characters.

It was also the biggest time for the indies. You had all sorts of companies back then doing everything under the sun. Something for every taste in other words. Now, just a few of them are starting a comeback, like Valiant and Dark Horse's Comic's Greatest World titles. But some of them are gone forever it seems.

Me...I go with mostly indies these days. The only comic I buy regularly from either of the big two is WF, and even that challenges my loyalty. Dynamite, IDW, Valiant, Dark Horse---those are the guys I go to these days.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:36 am

There's too many options out there. I think with Dark Horse, Dynamite, Boom, IDW, Image and Valiant you've got a good mix of stuff out there that you don't need to focus just on DC and Marvel.

Mind you I'm still a DC mark. :oops:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 401 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:42 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Again, I say, for any lapsed super hero fans: Bendis. X-Men. I know it's counterintuitive, but try it and you'll see. Get he first trade of All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men.

There's more then Bendis that has been good at Marvel of late. Red She-Hulk was good. Thor IS good. Iron Man has been okay to good.
Nova started out interesting. Uncanny Avengers started great.

By the way, does Claremont know you're cheating with Bendis? :P :wink:
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:45 am

GiveWarAChance wrote:I've been trying to read a lot of classic runs that I missed the first time around. I love picking up a nice Marvel omnibus. At the same time I'm enjoying many of the new comics that Marvel, DC, Image, and many others are putting out.

I'd enjoy them more if they'd stop these stupid crossover events. That and some original plots/plot points/elements instead of recycled ones from the 80s or 70s or 90s. Or even a year earlier.

Example - Iron Man. The last series ended with Tony heading into space for a head clearing vacation. Issue 7 of the present series he's off to space for a head clearing vacation. wtf? :smt102
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:47 am

sdsichero wrote:This should be more up Cat's alley...

After the first 40 hours... it gets boring.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:48 am

holtom2000 wrote:Buy older stuff works for me

I've tons of older stuff.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 544 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:51 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:
There's more then Bendis that has been good at Marvel of late. Red She-Hulk was good. Thor IS good. Iron Man has been okay to good.
Nova started out interesting. Uncanny Avengers started great.

By the way, does Claremont know you're cheating with Bendis? :P :wink:

Those other books are all terrible. :P

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:53 am

achilles wrote:I think the early nineties get a bad rap in comic. Sure, it was the heyday of the big event comic, and twenty million alternate covers, but both of the big two managed to do some good work amidst all of that. And there was more emphasis in them toward smaller characters.

It was also the biggest time for the indies. You had all sorts of companies back then doing everything under the sun. Something for every taste in other words. Now, just a few of them are starting a comeback, like Valiant and Dark Horse's Comic's Greatest World titles. But some of them are gone forever it seems.

Me...I go with mostly indies these days. The only comic I buy regularly from either of the big two is WF, and even that challenges my loyalty. Dynamite, IDW, Valiant, Dark Horse---those are the guys I go to these days.

The thing is, I try reading the other stuff too. But most of it does little to nothing for me. It's kind of like wanting a burger and a good one at that, but all you can get is Chinese food. It's good stuff too, but it is not a burger.

I say the late 80s with DC is where it started. Damn near every year they had some stupid crossover. Hated that. Then Marvel went very bad with the crossover last decade. Here I thought they were over it. Nope and now the ill has crossed over to DC. :smt011

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:54 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Those other books are all terrible. :P

Would you say that if Bendis wrote them? :P

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 544 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:55 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:
The thing is, I try reading the other stuff too. But most of it does little to nothing for me. It's kind of like wanting a burger and a good one at that, but all you can get is Chinese food. It's good stuff too, but it is not a burger.

I say the late 80s with DC is where it started. Damn near every year they had some stupid crossover. Hated that. Then Marvel went very bad with the crossover last decade. Here I thought they were over it. Nope and now the ill has crossed over to DC. :smt011

What would make you think they were over it? It's been nonstop events since Civil War, and getting worse every year. :P

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand