Advertisement

I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby Arion » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Chessack wrote:
Yeah. Unless you're dealing with someone who doesn't know what he has, you're not going to find original X-men from the 60s for $1.

You're right, unless I'm really, reallllllllly, lucky.

Advertisement

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 270 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:55 pm

Are you saying you've found original X-men, from the 1960s, for $1 an issue?? Wow.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 288 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Chessack wrote:Are you saying you've found original X-men, from the 1960s, for $1 an issue?? Wow.

It's possible, if they're not in great condition.

Thank you Troy for the sig

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 401 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
It's possible, if they're not in great condition.

Such as passed through more then one birdcage...
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:15 pm

Chessack wrote:Are you saying you've found original X-men, from the 1960s, for $1 an issue?? Wow.

No, I'm saying that I hope to find something like that one day... I can dream, right?

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:35 pm

:band Dream, the impossible dream... :band

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Chessack wrote::band Dream, the impossible dream... :band

Exactly!

wowbrow
A Quagmire

Liked in: 0 post
Title: wats going on here then?

Postby wowbrow » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:33 am

Shadowlands was the worst. Bendis and Brubakers awesome runs, all culminating on a big sloppy mess of shit.

Its interesting what OP says about comparing it to film, because Marvel studios are actually doing crossover events with their movies atm...... Not only do you have different individual superhero films tieing together with the Avengers movies, you also have Agents of SHIELD, the series. Which kind of demonstrates the dangers really, 'cause whilst Avengers was great, so far Agents of SHIELD is a piece of shit imo.

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:23 pm

Well, you're right that they are crossing them all over.

But...

The movies come out like once a year. So it's not that big of a deal. And there are a total of four or so movie "franchises" (equal to comic titles) - Iron Man, Thor, Cap, and Avengers. So it is not a big deal to stay on track with them. Also, most of the movies are relatively stand-alone. Yes there are cameos, guest appearances, and references to the other movies. But... you don't have to watch Thor, and then Cap, and then Avengers, to get the story. They are three different movies, with guest appearances and references to each other. If the movies were being done like, say, Trinity War, then Iron Man would have been part 1 of a story, Thor part 2, Cap part 3, Iron Man 2 part 4, and Avengers part 5. That is not really what happened. Each movie has its own story that is part of the same universe as the others. But the Thor story, and the Cap one, are entirely self-contained in terms of their plots (the story starts, climaxes, and resolves, within the individual movie).

The other thing that's different is the cost. Movies cost, what, the price of two or three comic books total? And you pay the cost once a year, or so, since they don't come out that fast. And Agents of Shield is free (you may pay for cable, but not for the show itself, at least not directly). If you add up how much DC expected you to spend on even a relatively small event like H'el (13 total issues for about $44), it's the cost of several movies (depending on where you are it will vary). If we take the national average for movie costs, which last I checked was around $9, you could see five movies and the entire SHIELD TV show for as many seasons as it runs, for the same price as the H'el arc.

So the movies are not demanding the level of commitment and expense that a crossover does. And that is a big part of why people seem not to mind.

In a way the movies are like the "crossovers" in the old, pre-Crisis, pre-Secret Wars style. Back before the mid-80s, a "crossover" was usually just a guest appearance by one character into the series of another, such as if Superman appears in the Batman series. The characters may make reference to past encounters, but you don't need to have read those to understand this month's issue. And you don't need to buy anything else to understand this story. The movies are more like that, than like the current set of crossovers that have been put out by the Big Two.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Chessack wrote:Well, you're right that they are crossing them all over.

But...

The movies come out like once a year. So it's not that big of a deal. And there are a total of four or so movie "franchises" (equal to comic titles) - Iron Man, Thor, Cap, and Avengers. So it is not a big deal to stay on track with them. Also, most of the movies are relatively stand-alone. Yes there are cameos, guest appearances, and references to the other movies. But... you don't have to watch Thor, and then Cap, and then Avengers, to get the story. They are three different movies, with guest appearances and references to each other. If the movies were being done like, say, Trinity War, then Iron Man would have been part 1 of a story, Thor part 2, Cap part 3, Iron Man 2 part 4, and Avengers part 5. That is not really what happened. Each movie has its own story that is part of the same universe as the others. But the Thor story, and the Cap one, are entirely self-contained in terms of their plots (the story starts, climaxes, and resolves, within the individual movie).

The other thing that's different is the cost. Movies cost, what, the price of two or three comic books total? And you pay the cost once a year, or so, since they don't come out that fast. And Agents of Shield is free (you may pay for cable, but not for the show itself, at least not directly). If you add up how much DC expected you to spend on even a relatively small event like H'el (13 total issues for about $44), it's the cost of several movies (depending on where you are it will vary). If we take the national average for movie costs, which last I checked was around $9, you could see five movies and the entire SHIELD TV show for as many seasons as it runs, for the same price as the H'el arc.

So the movies are not demanding the level of commitment and expense that a crossover does. And that is a big part of why people seem not to mind.

In a way the movies are like the "crossovers" in the old, pre-Crisis, pre-Secret Wars style. Back before the mid-80s, a "crossover" was usually just a guest appearance by one character into the series of another, such as if Superman appears in the Batman series. The characters may make reference to past encounters, but you don't need to have read those to understand this month's issue. And you don't need to buy anything else to understand this story. The movies are more like that, than like the current set of crossovers that have been put out by the Big Two.

Another good reason to avoid current crossovers and big events.
Now let's go to the movies!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 401 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:21 pm

I'm pissed off at my copies of The Star Wars mini-series. I have now yelled at them.

Also, for the movies, bring them. So far each, except for Iron Man 3, managed to work on their own without needing to watch the prior films. But watching them gave a richer story. Iron Man 3 didn't really work well in this that while Avengers could be called Iron Man 2.5, it seemed to be an almost fumble of the ball.

I hope Guardians of the Galaxy kick it through the posts.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 132 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:54 pm

Due to my own situation, I almost have to thank DC and Marvel for reducing my comic buying budget to almost nothing. But then there's the Dynamite/Dark Horse The Shadow/Grendel mini coming up by Matt Wagner....
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:27 pm

achilles wrote:Due to my own situation, I almost have to thank DC and Marvel for reducing my comic buying budget to almost nothing. But then there's the Dynamite/Dark Horse The Shadow/Grendel mini coming up by Matt Wagner....

I should also be thankful. I'm always trying new titles from publishers I wasn't familiar with a couple of years ago.

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:00 pm

Yeah in a way DC has helped me out a lot. I've gotten interested in a bunch of indy titles like Lazarus and Ghosted that I might not have tried if DC hadn't been such screwballs.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:30 pm

Chessack wrote:Yeah in a way DC has helped me out a lot. I've gotten interested in a bunch of indy titles like Lazarus and Ghosted that I might not have tried if DC hadn't been such screwballs.

Same here. A few years ago I didn't even pay attention to other publishers outside the big two. Now I rarely pay attention to DC.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand