Advertisement

I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67146
Likes: 996 posts
Liked in: 774 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:59 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
What would make you think they were over it? It's been nonstop events since Civil War, and getting worse every year. :P


Marvel Now seemed event free! I got duped! Suckered! Hoodwinked! I thought is safe to go into the water and BAM! SHARKEVENT!
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76394
Likes: 486 posts
Liked in: 757 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:02 am

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Marvel Now seemed event free! I got duped! Suckered! Hoodwinked! I thought is safe to go into the water and BAM! SHARKEVENT!


I hate to blame the victim, but in this case, you were asking for it.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67146
Likes: 996 posts
Liked in: 774 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:21 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I hate to blame the victim, but in this case, you were asking for it.


:shock:

I'm... I'm a... comic slut?

Image
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39994
Likes: 181 posts
Liked in: 323 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby Keb » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:55 am

Stop reading them.

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18273
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 98 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby Arion » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:06 pm

I'm not a big fan of events. But I only buy a few Marvel titles so probably I won't even notice there is a big event going on.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67146
Likes: 996 posts
Liked in: 774 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Keb wrote:Stop reading them.



I did. I got bored again.

After spending decades of reading them for entertainment and often as the main entertainment... hard habit to break. It's like no longer
listening to music.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67146
Likes: 996 posts
Liked in: 774 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Arion wrote:I'm not a big fan of events. But I only buy a few Marvel titles so probably I won't even notice there is a big event going on.


You mean you HOPE. That's the problem, these things tag in on all titles at some point.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

HNutz
User avatar
P&#1062;&#1048;K&#1063; &#1042;&#1071;&#1025;&#106
 
Posts: 14782
Likes: 3992 posts
Liked in: 562 posts
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:22 pm


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby HNutz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Chew is still good.

LobsterJ
User avatar
Great Scott!!!
 
Posts: 4865
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 56 posts
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 4:28 pm


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby LobsterJ » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:21 pm

I got sick of comics during Civil War so I cut all the crap I was reading out of habit (Uncanny X-men, Avengers, etc) and I realized I didn't miss it. The explosion of good indie titles in the past 5 years has certainly made it easier, as well.

Chessack
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1461
Likes: 19 posts
Liked in: 345 posts
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 pm
Location: North Carolina
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby Chessack » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:06 pm

LobsterJ wrote:The explosion of good indie titles in the past 5 years has certainly made it easier, as well.


This.

When I stopped reading DC in 1999, there wasn't really enough good indy stuff to keep me reading comics, so I just quit the medium entirely. This time, if I quit DC again (which probably won't happen all of a sudden but will happen bit by bit as I drop a title here or there and pick up a non-DC replacement), there are a bunch of good indy titles to read instead.

I think the Indies are really the way to go on this. They're less "corporate" and they have less reason to try to apply strictures to their titles.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67146
Likes: 996 posts
Liked in: 774 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:04 pm

Indies are terrific, but not all that easy to get at times.

I miss the days in the 80s with stuff coming out from Pacific Comics, First Comics, Eclipse, etc... and then later Dark Horse, Antarctic Press, Sirius, Paul Pope's work... Mike Allred's early Madman... and other stuff that was an utter pain in the ass to get a hold of such as Skeleton Key and Athena all back in the 90s.

I miss solid month after month titles that did not crossover with other stuff. Grimjack, Gold Digger, Poison Elves, Dynamo Joe, Luther Arkwright, Nexus, Grendel... DNAgents.. the list is long... old too like me. :P

I also miss Men Of Mystery comics from AC, republishing golden age and silver age stuff. LOVED that title in the 90s. *sigh*
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

UnionJack
User avatar
Mad Hatter
 
Posts: 298
Likes: 9 posts
Liked in: 17 posts
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:13 am


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby UnionJack » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:41 am

Much like Cat, I'll moan & complain about comics but I keep buying & reading. I've been into comics since I was 4 years old (aahhh... old Marvel UK black & white reprints.....) and not inclined to give up on them. They're my only vice.

However, I'm falling out of love with Marvel. Far, far too many 'Events' (but at least this time I didn't touch AoU), and trying to be too 'edgy'. Stuck with Avengers through Bendis' tenure, which I thought was awful, and Hickman hasn't done anything to reassure me so far. And, surprise surprise, along comes another 'Event'.

I just don't get sucked into these anymore. I don't buy any extra titles other than my regular stuff (of which there is a lot admittedly) just to keep up with an 'Event'. In fact when these things are running I've taken to skipping any related titles until it's over.

At the risk of being run off the forums with pitchforks & brands, I much prefer DC at the moment. Didn't think I'd be saying that after the past continuity being wiped out in favour of the New 52 but I've been converted. GL books are awful though and got dropped after 3 issues. Also just have to concede that the Teen Titans will never again reach the glorious heights of Wolfman/Perez. As for my beloved Legion... :cry:

Best of all though are Dynamite Entertainment. Classic characters and self-contained limited series to tell crossover tales. Absolutely love their output.

And Cat, I must be as ancient as you - I loved First Comics.....

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21435
Likes: 31 posts
Liked in: 171 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby chap22 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:38 am

let me just say, I think you guys are really, REALLY overstating the breadth and depth of the current Marvel "events".

first of all, the X-"event" is a standard X-event, meaning it just crosses over between 4 x-books, tells a solid story, and doesn't tie into any other outside books.

and yeah, Avengers, New Avengers, and I guess Avengers Assemble (which I don't read) are sucked into Infinity at the moment, but they're not stupid cash-grabbing "slice of life" non-important tie-ins like all the Bendis books were doing SI or Siege, etc. they're actually part of the story. and the following titles are currently Infinity-free and kicking ass:

Captain America
Thor, God of Thunder
Hawkeye
Uncanny Avengers
Daredevil
Indestructible Hulk
FF
Fantastic Four
Venom
Scarlet Spider

plus plenty more non tie-ins like Iron Man, Avengers Arena, Young Avengers, etc etc


the majority of Marvel's books are NOT involved. so what the hell's all the hubbub about? read the books you like, skip the event if you want (although I wouldn't recommend skipping Infinity or Battle of the Atom, they're both great so far)
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67146
Likes: 996 posts
Liked in: 774 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:58 am

UnionJack wrote:Much like Cat, I'll moan & complain about comics but I keep buying & reading. I've been into comics since I was 4 years old (aahhh... old Marvel UK black & white reprints.....) and not inclined to give up on them. They're my only vice.

However, I'm falling out of love with Marvel. Far, far too many 'Events' (but at least this time I didn't touch AoU), and trying to be too 'edgy'. Stuck with Avengers through Bendis' tenure, which I thought was awful, and Hickman hasn't done anything to reassure me so far. And, surprise surprise, along comes another 'Event'.

I just don't get sucked into these anymore. I don't buy any extra titles other than my regular stuff (of which there is a lot admittedly) just to keep up with an 'Event'. In fact when these things are running I've taken to skipping any related titles until it's over.

At the risk of being run off the forums with pitchforks & brands, I much prefer DC at the moment. Didn't think I'd be saying that after the past continuity being wiped out in favour of the New 52 but I've been converted. GL books are awful though and got dropped after 3 issues. Also just have to concede that the Teen Titans will never again reach the glorious heights of Wolfman/Perez. As for my beloved Legion... :cry:

Best of all though are Dynamite Entertainment. Classic characters and self-contained limited series to tell crossover tales. Absolutely love their output.

And Cat, I must be as ancient as you - I loved First Comics.....


:-D

Image
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 67146
Likes: 996 posts
Liked in: 774 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:02 pm

chap22 wrote:let me just say, I think you guys are really, REALLY overstating the breadth and depth of the current Marvel "events".

first of all, the X-"event" is a standard X-event, meaning it just crosses over between 4 x-books, tells a solid story, and doesn't tie into any other outside books.

and yeah, Avengers, New Avengers, and I guess Avengers Assemble (which I don't read) are sucked into Infinity at the moment, but they're not stupid cash-grabbing "slice of life" non-important tie-ins like all the Bendis books were doing SI or Siege, etc. they're actually part of the story. and the following titles are currently Infinity-free and kicking ass:

Captain America
Thor, God of Thunder
Hawkeye
Uncanny Avengers
Daredevil
Indestructible Hulk
FF
Fantastic Four
Venom
Scarlet Spider

plus plenty more non tie-ins like Iron Man, Avengers Arena, Young Avengers, etc etc


the majority of Marvel's books are NOT involved. so what the hell's all the hubbub about? read the books you like, skip the event if you want (although I wouldn't recommend skipping Infinity or Battle of the Atom, they're both great so far)


You called it well on the Bendis stuff like SI and Siege... :smt023

I hope you're right about the Infinity crossover. But even the small crossovers are annoying with their frequency.

My point though is that I am sick of the things and having to skip issues or tolerate the blips that they can cause in the titles I'm enjoying.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck] and 36 guests

Advertisement