Saturday, December 3, 2016 • Morning Edition • "We put the lotion in the basket."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:36 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
Yeah, I guess that's the root issue. It's funny how the summary pages started springing up right around the time Marvel began leaning in the decompressed direction.


Now that you mention it...
User avatar

Chessack

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Chessack » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Part of my problem with the crossover events is most likely also my age and having read comics for decades that had barely any major ones until the original crisis hit. Add to that my 80s independent love and manga enjoyment... I prefer the cleaner more focused story telling.


Same here.

I really like how you phrased that -- "cleaner, more focused story-telling." It was cleaner and more focused back then, and I like that way better than this "all over the place" business we have now.
User avatar

Johnny Smith

penile prisoner

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:53 pm

chap22 wrote:let me just say, <big snip of Chap's comments>

the following titles are currently Infinity-free and kicking ass:

Captain America
Thor, God of Thunder
Hawkeye
Uncanny Avengers
Daredevil
Indestructible Hulk
FF
Fantastic Four
Venom
Scarlet Spider


Did you include Uncanny Avengers in your list with a straight face? :shock:
Everytime I turn around, you're ripping Remender for "butchering" the characters :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Chessack wrote:
Same here.

I really like how you phrased that -- "cleaner, more focused story-telling." It was cleaner and more focused back then, and I like that way better than this "all over the place" business we have now.


I call the "all over the place" business - "Plot Bleeding".
User avatar

Herald

Hopscotch

Postby Herald » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
I call the "all over the place" business - "Plot Bleeding".


AMATEUR. :roll: :P

Kudzu Plot

8)

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Herald wrote:
AMATEUR. :roll: :P

Kudzu Plot


DAMNIT!!! :smt013

Herald NO Trope-ing!
Herald NO Trope-ing!
Herald NO Trope-ing!
User avatar

Herald

Hopscotch

Postby Herald » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
DAMNIT!!! :smt013

Herald NO Trope-ing!
Herald NO Trope-ing!
Herald NO Trope-ing!


TOO LATE!
You'll NEVER see the end of troping NOW! :twisted:

Image

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:41 pm



immagonnareportuazaterroristtoobama......
User avatar

Chessack

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Chessack » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Yes, the Kudzu plot is one problem.

With a few exceptions, there is a lack of strong narrative focus in many of these series. In many cases there is also a lack of proper cause-and-effect relationships between plot elements. And most annoyingly, since I read comics for the characters, in many cases character development is subordinated to the plot, if not ignored entirely.
User avatar

Herald

Hopscotch

Postby Herald » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
immagonnareportuazaterroristtoobama......


Won't work. He's a Reasonable Authority Figure. :DancingObama
User avatar

Herald

Hopscotch

Postby Herald » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Chessack wrote:Yes, the Kudzu plot is one problem.

With a few exceptions, there is a lack of strong narrative focus in many of these series. In many cases there is also a lack of proper cause-and-effect relationships between plot elements. And most annoyingly, since I read comics for the characters, in many cases character development is subordinated to the plot, if not ignored entirely.


Agreed. The characters control the story, not the other way around.
User avatar

Chessack

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Chessack » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Well... they should, Herald. In many modern comics, though, they don't.

One of the reasons I gave up on the JL books is because the plot is driving the characters and not the other way around. (Another reason is that all the plot points seemed to be done for the sake of shock value.)
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:20 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:
Did you include Uncanny Avengers in your list with a straight face? :shock:
Everytime I turn around, you're ripping Remender for "butchering" the characters :lol: :lol: :lol:

His characterization is off. But the story's fantastic. It's a trade-off I've come to accept with Remender
User avatar

achilles

P&#1062;&#1048;K&#1063; &#1042;&#1071;&#1025;&#106

Postby achilles » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:21 am

Speaking of decompressed comics, that's something that has gotten to me too, big time. It has its place as a technique, but creators tend to abuse it to pad their stories beyond all belief.

The classic and worst example I can think of was that Johns JSA arc, Thy Kingdom Come, also known as "The walking tour of places none of the readers care about, with side excursions into an insane Earth 2 that never appears again, and to a crazed and inexplicably powerful Magog, or is it Gog, who wanders around killing people for no apparent reason". That shit was LONG...way too long.

However, I find the indies full of stuff that absolutely isn't padded. A great recent, (this week), example is Dynamite's The Shadow Annual, which tells the story of the death of Bugsy Seigel, and how that happened, (hint---The Shadow knows), while weaving it into The Shadow's backstory, all while giving a complete story that sheds light on the character of The Shadow in just the one issue.

Not that everything has to be done in one, but arcs shouldn't be longer than absolutely necessary to tell the story. Which they are very frequently, at DC at least, (though I also point the finger at Valiant's Harbinger Wars, another wretched example of the crossover run amok).

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:59 am

achilles wrote:Speaking of decompressed comics, that's something that has gotten to me too, big time. It has its place as a technique, but creators tend to abuse it to pad their stories beyond all belief.

The classic and worst example I can think of was that Johns JSA arc, Thy Kingdom Come, also known as "The walking tour of places none of the readers care about, with side excursions into an insane Earth 2 that never appears again, and to a crazed and inexplicably powerful Magog, or is it Gog, who wanders around killing people for no apparent reason". That shit was LONG...way too long.

However, I find the indies full of stuff that absolutely isn't padded. A great recent, (this week), example is Dynamite's The Shadow Annual, which tells the story of the death of Bugsy Seigel, and how that happened, (hint---The Shadow knows), while weaving it into The Shadow's backstory, all while giving a complete story that sheds light on the character of The Shadow in just the one issue.

Not that everything has to be done in one, but arcs shouldn't be longer than absolutely necessary to tell the story. Which they are very frequently, at DC at least, (though I also point the finger at Valiant's Harbinger Wars, another wretched example of the crossover run amok).



To borrow Mr. Samuel Jackson to translate - "Pacing motherfuckers! Do you know it?!!" :lol:

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 59 guests