Advertisement

I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 816 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:57 pm

I see once again that both the big guys are going the giant crossover event route. Now for DC this is meaningless to me as I'm only reading Aquaman right now. But Marvel... a lot of titles.

I despise these events as it's a colossal rip-off. It's like going out to see a movie, it has no ending but the story runs off onto a network show for 6 episodes. Then runs off to an HBO show for 6 episodes, then to some AMC type channel and several shows there for several episodes and then after a year, another theatrical film to have closure to a story that once finished, makes no sense and frankly seems like a crappy attempt to copy a plot line/story from a comic series from about 20 or more years ago. :smt013

Imagine, even on a smaller scale, that if you've been enjoying Breaking Bad or Dexter... you have to go watch Bones and Ray Donovan to conclude the series' story. Would you like that? Instead of tuning in to that same Breaking Bad channel at that same Breaking Bad time... you get screwed.

Fuck You and your crossover events. :smt097

Stuff that in the DC DID SOMETHING STUPID AGAIN meter.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: I'm Getting Pissed Off Again With Comics

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Yes, but could you tell us how you really feel? :P

Thank you Troy for the sig

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Stephen Day wrote:Yes, but could you tell us how you really feel? :P

"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 817 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Cat, have you considered trying Bendis's X-men books? The current crossover in there is the format I prefer (crossover between books with one linear story). I hate the modern event book style where there's one event mini and all of the series kind of tread water exploring tangents of that story while the event goes on. It makes the whole thing seem way too long and convoluted.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 348 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:06 pm

I agree with you.

Marvel lost me long-term as a fan when they did one of these events one summer where all the mutant titles crossed into the non-mutant titles and you needed a flipping check list to make sure you got everything. And when it was all done, it sucked anyway. I wasn't even reading mutant titles at the time, having got tired of all their incessant crossovers, but when they started polluting the other books like Captain America and Thor with mutant dreck, I finally said good-bye to Marvel. This was something like 1989. I switched to DC and had peace for a little while, and then DC started doing it. I still stuck with it for a long time, but by 1999, I got so tired of it that I finally gave them up too. Not willing to go back to Marvel, and with the indy market not really very strong back then, I gave up comics entirely.

I came back less than a year ago. I still have no interest in Marvel (I do read Thor, because so far it has been a stand-alone comic, but that's it), and DC started annoying me right off the bat with the crossovers and events. It's endless. One after another. H'el on Earth /Throne of Atlantis. Straight into Trinity War. Straight into Villain's Month. Straight into Forever Evil and Krypton Returns. And I'm sure more will follow immediately.

Fortunately many of the indy titles are event-free, so this time I am just moving to the indies and away from DC. (Marvel, as I say, is dead to me other than Thor.)

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:17 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Cat, have you considered trying Bendis's X-men books? The current crossover in there is the format I prefer (crossover between books with one linear story). I hate the modern event book style where there's one event mini and all of the series kind of tread water exploring tangents of that story while the event goes on. It makes the whole thing seem way too long and convoluted.

I am reading them and the Avengers stuff, yes not his but.., I have little problem with related title crossovers, but the Infinity stuff is starting to bother me as it seems tied up with Avengers and Nova... GotG... UGH!

All-New X-Men is a fav title right now, but he looses good artists on it... I'm gone. Read this plot before in the early nineties in Legion of Super-Heroes.

I've got a ton of Marvel titles on my tablet that I'm slowly catching up on while also trying to keep up. All the X-Titles, Avengers titles, Superior Spider-Man, Scarlet Spider, FF titles, Fearless Defenders, Thunderbolts.... I think the only title I'm not bothering much with in relation is the A+X title as it seems fluff. Nice art but nothing moving the characters forward.

It's sad, I nearly catch up on a title and it gets canceled. Red She-Hulk, Journey Into Mystery, Scarlet Spider (still have to start reading it)... :-(

I wish they'd stay away from the events and focus and I mean solidly focus on each title for a couple of years at least. Sure, when there are strong connections, crossover it it works, like Uncanny X-Men with All-New X-Men. But stop the madness.

Oh yeah, you read that, I am enjoying a Bendis title. :lol:

GiveWarAChance
FROGMAN

Liked in: 914 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:22 pm

Maybe it's time to just stop reading Marvel and DC, if you are truly pissed off. There's plenty of great indie stuff out there.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Chessack wrote:I agree with you.

Marvel lost me long-term as a fan when they did one of these events one summer where all the mutant titles crossed into the non-mutant titles and you needed a flipping check list to make sure you got everything. And when it was all done, it sucked anyway. I wasn't even reading mutant titles at the time, having got tired of all their incessant crossovers, but when they started polluting the other books like Captain America and Thor with mutant dreck, I finally said good-bye to Marvel. This was something like 1989. I switched to DC and had peace for a little while, and then DC started doing it. I still stuck with it for a long time, but by 1999, I got so tired of it that I finally gave them up too. Not willing to go back to Marvel, and with the indy market not really very strong back then, I gave up comics entirely.

I came back less than a year ago. I still have no interest in Marvel (I do read Thor, because so far it has been a stand-alone comic, but that's it), and DC started annoying me right off the bat with the crossovers and events. It's endless. One after another. H'el on Earth /Throne of Atlantis. Straight into Trinity War. Straight into Villain's Month. Straight into Forever Evil and Krypton Returns. And I'm sure more will follow immediately.

Fortunately many of the indy titles are event-free, so this time I am just moving to the indies and away from DC. (Marvel, as I say, is dead to me other than Thor.)

For me it was the last decade. I was gone from comics for a few years, came back and found these insane crossover events hitting like seasons with the big two and Marvel was horrible with them.

With the Marvel Now, I was back to Marvel with a smile. It was good and easy to get into, but now... they may loose me again. DC... 52 was morbid curiosity more then enjoyment... though Aquaman has been great. The events just are endless crap to me. I'm old! I read most of these plots back in the 70s or 80s or even 90s when they were done. Talk about milking it... rrrrrrr.

I loved indies in the 80s and 90s, but sadly nearly all those titles are now gone. Only Gold Digger is around and that I am insanely far behind. More then 12 years to catch up on... ouch... :cry:

Funny thing. The new "The Star Wars" title covering the "original" script is interesting... and horrible all in one. :-D

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 282 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:26 pm

I tried a while back to get back into comics. I figured the new 52 would be a good jumping on point, and was getting 7 or 8 of them, plus 5 or 6 marvel books.

But I find that neither company is FUN anymore. Marvel wants, it seems, to show you there are no real heroes, everybody has a dark side. And DC wants to show you that HOLYFUCKYOUGUYSWASNTEARLYNINETIESIMAGEAWESOME?

Eh. I'm sure somebody likes the current state of affairs, but I read comics for light hearted escapism. Not superheroes who've been written so far into the darker sides that, for example, one can be replaced by their deadliest enemy and no one notices. :smt102

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:27 pm

GiveWarAChance wrote:Maybe it's time to just stop reading Marvel and DC, if you are truly pissed off. There's plenty of great indie stuff out there.

I'm thinking of rereading old stuff I loved. But at the same time... it's like watching only TMC... great stuff but something sort of fresh would be nice too. Need a little HBO... but they are not delivering.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Lord Simian wrote:I tried a while back to get back into comics. I figured the new 52 would be a good jumping on point, and was getting 7 or 8 of them, plus 5 or 6 marvel books.

But I find that neither company is FUN anymore. Marvel wants, it seems, to show you there are no real heroes, everybody has a dark side. And DC wants to show you that HOLYFUCKYOUGUYSWASNTEARLYNINETIESIMAGEAWESOME?

Eh. I'm sure somebody likes the current state of affairs, but I read comics for light hearted escapism. Not superheroes who've been written so far into the darker sides that, for example, one can be replaced by their deadliest enemy and no one notices.

This too. I just got caught up on Captain America and thought... really? It has to be this hard nosed?

52 nose dived almost at once for me, but I tried it. Now I'm gone.
Marvel Now had a ton of appeal, seemed to be working but now... it's like I got suckered into pre-Now 2.0 starting up.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Lord Simian wrote:I tried a while back to get back into comics. I figured the new 52 would be a good jumping on point, and was getting 7 or 8 of them, plus 5 or 6 marvel books.

Eh. I'm sure somebody likes the current state of affairs, but I read comics for light hearted escapism. Not superheroes who've been written so far into the darker sides that, for example, one can be replaced by their deadliest enemy and no one notices. :smt102

Again, I say, for any lapsed super hero fans: Bendis. X-Men. I know it's counterintuitive, but try it and you'll see. Get he first trade of All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men.

GiveWarAChance
FROGMAN

Liked in: 914 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:43 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:

I'm thinking of rereading old stuff I loved. But at the same time... it's like watching only TMC... great stuff but something sort of fresh would be nice too. Need a little HBO... but they are not delivering.

I've been trying to read a lot of classic runs that I missed the first time around. I love picking up a nice Marvel omnibus. At the same time I'm enjoying many of the new comics that Marvel, DC, Image, and many others are putting out.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 282 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:43 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Again, I say, for any lapsed super hero fans: Bendis. X-Men. I know it's counterintuitive, but try it and you'll see. Get he first trade of All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men.

I kinda blame him for the darkening of the Marvel Universe, which began under him. But then, I did love his ultimate Spidey.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
I kinda blame him for the darkening of the Marvel Universe, which began under him. But then, I did love his ultimate Spidey.

That's why it's counterintuitive. But Bendis's X-Men harkens back to the good old days of X-Books (Pre-90s).

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand