Friday, April 29, 2016 • Morning Edition • "For when life fails you."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Giffen already leaving Legion?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:50 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
Instead of the Jim Lee high collar, he'll have a foreskin around his neck.

Wicked outfit. I can already imagine it.

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:05 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:If DC can't put a good Superman book on the shelves, I have no faith in them doing anything interesting with the bargain basement Superman.

Bargin basement? Dude, reassess Captain Marvel adventures used to regularly blow Superman away in sales, he was one of if not the most popular comic book character for a long time.

Hab

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
I can't call "Captain Marvel" a strong property when DC can't even call him Captain Marvel in the title of a comic book.

I really can't think of anything less relevant.

If Judd Winick can tell a good Captain Marvel story, anyone can.

Hab

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:35 pm

habitual wrote:
Bargin basement? Dude, reassess Captain Marvel adventures used to regularly blow Superman away in sales, he was one of if not the most popular comic book character for a long time.

Hab

I don't think think this ever happened.

Superman is an icon and probably the most recognizable comic character in the history of Superhero comics. Successful movies, TV shows, cartoons, multiple comics, spinoffs, etc.

Meanwhile, most people still call Captain Marvel "Shazam"

He's pretty lame.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 pm

habitual wrote:

Hab

Which was back before DC sued for copyright infringement and won the case, which is why CM went away in the first place.

Funny how that came to bite DC back in the face. :wink:

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:41 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:
I don't think think this ever happened.

Superman is an icon and probably the most recognizable comic character in the history of Superhero comics. Successful movies, TV shows, cartoons, multiple comics, spinoffs, etc.

Meanwhile, most people still call Captain Marvel "Shazam"

He's pretty lame.

It was back in the 40's.

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:46 pm

The only cool thing about Shazam is Black Adam.

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:54 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:The only cool thing about Shazam is Black Adam.

I think there are a number of people here that would argue with that.

Alex Ross used the character well in Justice.

Hab

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Cesaro may be the only reason I'd willingly watch an O***n match.

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
It was back in the 40's.

40's and a large part of the 50's, he dominated the market.

Hab

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:23 pm

habitual wrote:
40's and a large part of the 50's, he dominated the market.

Hab

Little Lulu had an audience then too. Doesn't mean anybody's snatching up the rights to it. You can't compare 1950 to 2013.

I just don't think there's much of an audience for Shazam anymore and that's why it attracts little attention every time they dig it up. It's a corny concept.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:37 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:
Little Lulu had an audience then too. Doesn't mean anybody's snatching up the rights to it. You can't compare 1950 to 2013.

I just don't think there's much of an audience for Shazam anymore and that's why it attracts little attention every time they dig it up. It's a corny concept.

I don't know if it's the concept is corny, or how the concept was interpreted which was corny.

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:00 am

MoneyMelon wrote:

A kid with the power of the Gods is hardly corny and hardly a concept that isn't pulling in loads of cash.

The only reason that the wheels came off at all is because National sued and then obtained the rites to the character and then shelved it because the don't want it devaluing the Superman brand.

One of the seminal works of the 80's was entirely based on it.

Hab

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:37 am

BubbaKanoosh wrote:The entire concept of this book is built on a stupid idea.

Teens save a dude, so this dude makes this afterschool club into the interplanetary protective squad?

Retarded.

"Rich dude slaps masks and and an X on an afterschool club and makes them a global (and later interplanetary) protective squad" seemed to work out though :P

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:52 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Rich dude slaps masks and and an X on an afterschool club and makes them a global (and later interplanetary) protective squad seemed to work out though :P

That's because Marvel managed the property well, for the most part. When the X-Men exploded, Marvel saw the potential of the property and ran with it. DC never did that with Legion.

leave a comment with facebook