Advertisement

Giffen already leaving Legion?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Giffen already leaving Legion?

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:21 pm

That's what Uncle Rich is saying.

It was meant to be the reunion of Team Levitz/Giffen. Two creators, both committed to Legion stories, both working on the book separately and together in the past, both with The Great Darkness Saga on their resumes. And reunited again for new Legion Of Superheroes stories, starting this month. However, I understand that, despite the solicitations of issue 19 in April listing Giffen as artist, he has walked off the book with the previous issue.

I don’t know the details, but similar decisions from others recently have been over creative and editorial differences. I don’t believe Giffen is leaving any other books he’s working on for DC, that it’s solely down to the circumstances of this project.

But odds are it will be discussed at the upcoming DC Creative Conference in Charlotte.

Transllation: The Legion is f**ked.

My guess is that unless DC seriously tries to get someone big to try to salvage the book, it's gonna be canceled within a year.

I hope you "classic" Legion fans are happy. You got what you wanted. A "classic" Legion revival that never had any heart or so to replace the Threeboot, which had unlimited potential. I hope you enjoyed your abortion, cause I didn't. You helped kill the Legion.

It may be years before DC tries revive Legion after this.

And I hope the clowns who allowed this buttrape to happen to one of the best super teams ever get their @$$es run out of DC comics before they take the company down with them.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Re: Giffen already leaving Legion?

Postby nietoperz » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:29 pm

Time, perhaps, to merge this and all similar threads into one giant 'Nacireman whines about the Legion' thread.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:38 pm

nietoperz wrote:Time, perhaps, to merge this and all similar threads into one giant 'Nacireman whines about the Legion' thread.

Maybe you should stop trying to make me the issue here.

This "classic" Legion revival has been a dud. Of the old line DC titles that survived Flashpoint, it's been the absolute least successful. Where DC has seriously tried to fix problems with other books, it's let the no.1 problem with Legion (Levitz) fester to a point that the book can't maintain over 20,000 circulation.

I'm not responsible for this. DC is.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:46 pm

The Nacireman wrote:

This "classic" Legion revival has been a dud. Of the old line DC titles that survived Flashpoint, it's been the absolute least successful. Where DC has seriously tried to fix problems with other books, it's let the no.1 problem with Legion (Levitz) fester to a point that the book can't maintain over 20,000 circulation.

Are you sure nobody caring about the Legion isn't the true culprit?

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:48 pm

The Nacireman wrote:

I'll take that as a 'yes.'

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 967 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:52 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:

:lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:55 pm

It'a true. You can blame threeboots and neo-classics and Matt Ryan Conklin all you want, but the fact is that it's just a dumb concept that no one post-1980 gives a shit about. They could get top name creators on that book and it could be widely critically acclaimed and I still wouldn't read it because I have no interest in it - and it seems no more than 20,000 people in the entire world have any interest in it either.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:56 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:

I'm sure DC not putting out a comic good enough that people would actually care about it is the bigger culprit.

Look at I Vampire, lots of people were mad that DC canceled what they considered a quality comic, despite the fact that sales were awful. Look at the Journey into Mystery fanatics going postal over at Marvel.

It's different with Legion. Legion fans aren't in love with the quality of the book, they're in love with a nostalgic concept.

- Sons of the Desert

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:57 pm

The Nacireman wrote:
I'm sure DC not putting out a comic good enough that people would actually care about it is the bigger culprit.

Look at I Vampire, lots of people were mad that DC canceled what they considered a quality comic, despite the fact that sales were awful. Look at the Journey into Mystery fanatics going postal over at Marvel.

It's different with Legion. Legion fans aren't in love with the quality of the book, they're in love with a nostalgic concept.

That's because Legion fans are all 60 years old or you. :P

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 252 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:05 pm

What's a Legion? I thought that group ended years ago during the Great Darkness Saga.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:21 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:It'a true. You can blame threeboots and neo-classics and Matt Ryan Conklin all you want, but the fact is that it's just a dumb concept that no one post-1980 gives a shit about. They could get top name creators on that book and it could be widely critically acclaimed and I still wouldn't read it because I have no interest in it - and it seems no more than 20,000 people in the entire world have any interest in it either.

It's not the Legion's core original concept (group of young heroes in an mostly optimistic future band together to protect the universe) that's the problem.

The Legion's rich back history and continuity derived from that concept isn't the problem, either. Those two things together are what made Legion on of the most popular books for most of the silver age/70's & 80's.

It's the fact that creators like Levitz and Giffen in the 80's slowly got away from that concept. They allowed the team to age to a point where you couldn't help notice the growing disconnect. (Characters in their late 20's/early 30's with names like "boy" girl" etc.) Then Giffen unleashed the FYG, which totally ditched the core concept for a more darker tone.

Add to that how Levitz was too hardheaed to make the changes to make Legion continuity work in the framework of the post-Crisis/Man of Steel DCU, (and an unwillingness from TPTB handling Superman at the time to do so as well) and you create the disconnections that ultimately brought down the Legion.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:22 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:It'a true. You can blame threeboots and neo-classics and Matt Ryan Conklin all you want, but the fact is that it's just a dumb concept that no one post-1980 gives a shit about. They could get top name creators on that book and it could be widely critically acclaimed and I still wouldn't read it because I have no interest in it - and it seems no more than 20,000 people in the entire world have any interest in it either.

It's not the Legion's core original concept (group of young heroes in an mostly optimistic future band together to protect the universe) that's the problem.

The Legion's rich back history and continuity derived from that concept isn't the problem, either. Those two things together are what made Legion on of the most popular books for most of the silver age/70's & 80's.

It's the fact that creators like Levitz and Giffen in the 80's slowly got away from that concept. They allowed the team to age to a point where you couldn't help notice the growing disconnect. (Characters in their late 20's/early 30's with names like "boy" girl" etc.) Then Giffen unleashed the FYG, which totally ditched the core concept for a more darker tone.

Add to that how Levitz was too hardheaed to make the changes to make Legion continuity work in the framework of the post-Crisis/Man of Steel DCU, (and an unwillingness from TPTB handling Superman at the time to do so as well) and you create the disconnections that ultimately brought down the Legion.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:24 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
That's because Legion fans are all 60 years old or you. :P

Nieto is 60?...DANG!!!!!

- Sons of the Desert

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Eh. The Legion sucks.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:32 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Eh. The Legion sucks.

I will only read this book if they add Dick-Eater Lad to the team.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand